World Cup Final Game Wraps Up An Exciting Few Weeks For Local Stores
By Tim Jimenez
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Sunday’s World Cup Final wrapped up an exciting few weeks for soccer fans in Philadelphia and around the globe.
Even though it’s Germany and Argentina for the championship, folks at a South Jersey shop say this year’s tournament has been a win for soccer in this country.
When the World Cup comes around every four years, places like The Deptford Soccer Post are hubs for long-time soccer fans, newcomers and a lot of people in between.
“There’s an increase in excitement, there’s an increase in interest. We’ve got more youth players playing in the leagues,” says Mike Bouver, a soccer player and the store’s manager.
He also says that spike in interest means a boost in sales, especially with the U.S. team’s performance.
“Customers coming in for USA jerseys, USA t-shirts and all kinds of USA — things even after they were eliminated.”
A sign, Bouver says, that this isn’t just a once every four years infusion of interest, but a real movement.
“We see the young families that are just starting soccer. This is the first generation that’s playing; the parents have never played,” he explains.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Study: Even Short, Slow Runs Could Help You Live Longer
- Report: Ship Found Underneath Ground Zero Probably Built In Philadelphia
- Serious Crash Reportedly Kills 1 In Hamilton Township
- Better Business Bureau Warns Runners To ‘Do Their Homework’ Before Signing Up For Themed Races
- Another Taste Of Fall, Weekend Spoiler