By Cherri Gregg
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The community is coming together to support the families displaced by the three-alarm fire in Southwest Philadelphia on Saturday that claimed five homes, as well as the lives of four young children (See Previous Story).
Nearly half the homes on the block near 65th and Gesner Streets sit in ashes. The 42 residents who made it out are lucky to be alive.
“It’s terrible you know, I haven’t been sleeping since yesterday,” Mimi said.
Mimi lived at 6512 Gesner. She and her two children sat stunned on Woodland Avenue — every possession they own is gone.
“It’s done. It’s burned down,” she said.
“I’ve been here since I heard about the fire. Taking people to get registered with the Red Cross. Meeting with them, praying with them,” Rev. Napoleon L. Devine said.
Rev. Devine is Pastor of Christ International Baptist Church located just a few feet from the charred rubble. The church set up tables to take donations for the displaced families.
“People coming to just drop off things, food, clothing, shoes,” Rev. Devine said.
He says they’re organizing to collect money beginning Monday to support the families and to pay for the funerals of the four children who died.
To donate clothing, shoes or non-perishable food items contact:
- Christ International Baptist Church, 2210 South 65th Street, Philadelphia, PA 215-729-0214
- Liberian Association of Pennsylvania, Inc., 1155 South 54th Street, Philadelphia, PA 215-651-9322
- Saving Grace Orphanage, 4918 Baltimore Ave, Philadelphia PA 215-779-5726
- First Baptist Church of Paschall, 7100 Woodland Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 215-724-3294
Please note that several children are displaced, so there is a need for children’s clothing.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Deadly Police Involved Shooting Under Investigation In Wilmington
- Study Suggests Social Media Bubble Makes Us Narrow-Minded
- Weather: Coastal Flood Warning Tuesday After Powerful Storm Strikes Region
- Massive Tree Falls In South Philadelphia, Knocking Out Power As Nor’easter Strikes Region
- Senate Confirms Mike Pompeo To Run The CIA