Descendants Of Declaration Of Independence Signers Tap The Liberty Bell
By Michelle Durham
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – An annual tradition involving one of the most enduring symbols of this country’s freedom took place Friday as descendants of the original signers of the Declaration of Independence and two new citizens had the privilege of stepping forward to tap the Liberty Bell.
When the bell was cast, the wording on its rim proclaiming “liberty to all throughout the land” is what ultimately saved it when it cracked. At precisely 2 p.m every July 4th, the symbolic ceremony takes place.
Jake, Isiah and Justin Bainbridge of Plymouth Meeting are direct descendants of John Hart and participated in the ceremony.
“Not many people get to do it.”
“It’s a great privilege. Nobody ever gets to tap the Liberty bell. It was just a great moment.”
Their Father, James, says this event means a great deal to the family:
“They’ve come from California, from Virginia, from all over the country to come here to celebrate this with the boys, so it’s very important to us.”
For ten-year-old Rory Wallach, also a descendant of John Hart, it meant so much to tap the bell.
“You don’t really know what you are doing,” he said. “You are just kind of excited. You just have your feelings like you just know that it is really important. It just felt like that you are kind of special at that very moment.”
- Firefighters Battle Blaze In Delaware County
- Girlfriend Of Slain Darby Borough Police Officer Charged For Prior Domestic-related Incident
- Delco DA: 11 Charged In Alleged Auto Body Shop Insurance Fraud Scheme
- PennDOT Begins Repaving on 14 Miles of State Highways Through Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Bike Share Program Begins In April
- Judge Weighs ‘Mental Anguish’ Law Opposed By Convicted Cop-Killer Mumia Abu-Jamal
- Phila. City Council Postpones Action on Food Truck Propane Tank Inspections
- Stepfather Charged With Murder In Death Of 9-Week-Old NJ Girl
- Phillies to Begin Metal-Detector Screening of Every Ticketholder at Citizens Bank Park
- Councilman Pushes To Increase Valet Parking Zones For Night Clubs Along Delaware Ave.