Descendants Of Declaration Of Independence Signers Tap The Liberty Bell
By Michelle Durham
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – An annual tradition involving one of the most enduring symbols of this country’s freedom took place Friday as descendants of the original signers of the Declaration of Independence and two new citizens had the privilege of stepping forward to tap the Liberty Bell.
When the bell was cast, the wording on its rim proclaiming “liberty to all throughout the land” is what ultimately saved it when it cracked. At precisely 2 p.m every July 4th, the symbolic ceremony takes place.
Jake, Isiah and Justin Bainbridge of Plymouth Meeting are direct descendants of John Hart and participated in the ceremony.
“Not many people get to do it.”
“It’s a great privilege. Nobody ever gets to tap the Liberty bell. It was just a great moment.”
Their Father, James, says this event means a great deal to the family:
“They’ve come from California, from Virginia, from all over the country to come here to celebrate this with the boys, so it’s very important to us.”
For ten-year-old Rory Wallach, also a descendant of John Hart, it meant so much to tap the bell.
“You don’t really know what you are doing,” he said. “You are just kind of excited. You just have your feelings like you just know that it is really important. It just felt like that you are kind of special at that very moment.”
- National Park Service Bans Drones From Flying Over Appalachian Trail
- EXCLUSIVE: Father Wetzel, Priest To Police, Speaks On Shooting Of Officer Korpalski
- Atlantic City Community Hopes For City’s Rebirth As Prayer Vigil For Workers Gets Underway
- Carpenters Locked Out Of Pa. Convention Center Since May Seek End To Dispute
- Last Surviving Member Of Philadelphia Stars Talks Taney Dragons And Their Pitching Phenom
- Deadly Shooting Of 3-Year-Old In Philadelphia Has Officials Calling For Action
- Mayor Nutter Heads Initial Witness List Submitted By Defense In Fatal Center City Building Collapse
- Elderly Driver Crashes Vehicle Into Bustleton Deli
- Health Advocates Call For More Information About Marcellus Shale Fracking
- Patco Thinks Delayed Rail Cars Will Be Ready For Field Testing Soon