Descendants Of Declaration Of Independence Signers Tap The Liberty Bell
By Michelle Durham
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – An annual tradition involving one of the most enduring symbols of this country’s freedom took place Friday as descendants of the original signers of the Declaration of Independence and two new citizens had the privilege of stepping forward to tap the Liberty Bell.
When the bell was cast, the wording on its rim proclaiming “liberty to all throughout the land” is what ultimately saved it when it cracked. At precisely 2 p.m every July 4th, the symbolic ceremony takes place.
Jake, Isiah and Justin Bainbridge of Plymouth Meeting are direct descendants of John Hart and participated in the ceremony.
“Not many people get to do it.”
“It’s a great privilege. Nobody ever gets to tap the Liberty bell. It was just a great moment.”
Their Father, James, says this event means a great deal to the family:
“They’ve come from California, from Virginia, from all over the country to come here to celebrate this with the boys, so it’s very important to us.”
For ten-year-old Rory Wallach, also a descendant of John Hart, it meant so much to tap the bell.
“You don’t really know what you are doing,” he said. “You are just kind of excited. You just have your feelings like you just know that it is really important. It just felt like that you are kind of special at that very moment.”
- Community Gathers To Remember 3-Year-Old Boy At Candlelight Vigil In Haddon Township
- Recent Death Of Young Transgender Woman Sparks Conversation About Danger Many Transgender Women Face
- Police: 14-Year-Old Dies After North Philadelphia Shooting
- City Breaks Ground On New Phillies Urban Youth Academy
- The Rosenbach Celebrates 150 Years Of Alice In Wonderland
- First African American Female Astronaut Inspires Philadelphia Students
- High School In Delco Evacuated After E-Cigarette Malfunctions, Causing Minor Explosion
- Temple University Honors Lewis Katz By Naming Medical School After Him
- “Strategic Alliance” Brings Penn Medicine And Virtua Together In South Jersey
- Montgomery County Urging Residents To Take Advantage Of Drug Take Back Day