PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The 15-year-old boy who accidentally drowned yesterday in Tacony Creek has been identified by police. (See Previous Story)
Ruben Polanco went underwater and never resurfaced while swimming with friends in the area behind Juniata Golf Club.
Balloons mark the area where his body was found.
Less than 24 hours later, Chopper 3 spotted more swimmers in the creek.
Officials say it is important to heed the warnings to stay out of the water.
Timothy McShea of the Firefighters and Paramedics Union Local 22 says, “Children go in there with very little supervision, hit a hole and they are done. It is important to keep your children safe. Keep them out of the waterways, keep them out of the creeks. Keep them out of any water that you don’t know.”
Despite signs warning people to stay out, the location remains a popular place for kids to cool off.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Donald Trump’s Childhood Home Heads To Auction
- Komen Philly Forms Coalition Of Hospitals To Serve & Support Those With Metastatic Breast Cancer
- 1 Child Dead, 2 Others Critically Injured In Atlanta Pit Bull Attack
- Auditor Puts Focus On Child Safety, Rape Kits, Opioid Crisis
- Celebration After Signs Banning Wall Sitting In Rittenhouse Square Removed