PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The 15-year-old boy who accidentally drowned yesterday in Tacony Creek has been identified by police. (See Previous Story)
Ruben Polanco went underwater and never resurfaced while swimming with friends in the area behind Juniata Golf Club.
Balloons mark the area where his body was found.
Less than 24 hours later, Chopper 3 spotted more swimmers in the creek.
Officials say it is important to heed the warnings to stay out of the water.
Timothy McShea of the Firefighters and Paramedics Union Local 22 says, “Children go in there with very little supervision, hit a hole and they are done. It is important to keep your children safe. Keep them out of the waterways, keep them out of the creeks. Keep them out of any water that you don’t know.”
Despite signs warning people to stay out, the location remains a popular place for kids to cool off.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Philly Police Search For Missing Elderly Woman
- Firefighters Climb Linc Stairs In Memory Of Those Lost On 9-11
- ‘I Felt Like We Were Going To Die’: Area Residents Escape Devastation In Puerto Rico
- Philly Police Search For Drivers In 2 Separate Hit-And-Run Accidents
- Crews Battle Multi-Alarm Fire In Bucks County