Project To Add Additional Lane To Section Of GSP To Begin In Late Summer
By David Madden
TOMS RIVER, N.J. (CBS) – A project to add a third lane to the Garden State Parkway from Toms River through to south of the Atlantic City Expressway will move into our area in late August or early September.
All the work done so far is in the northern part of the project area, but Parkway officials awarded a $36 million contract to begin the southern expansion.
Parkway spokesman Tom Feeney says, “The contract that was awarded this week is for the work between mileposts 42 and 48. Ultimately the third lane will go all the way down to milepost 35.”
This first phase goes from Galloway Township up to Port Republic. The total $900 million expansion project should be complete in two to three years.
Feeney adds that rules imposed on contractors bar them from blocking lanes during busy times, like summer weekends. So he expects effect on traffic to be minimal.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- 2 Hospitalized After Vehicle Crashes Through Nail Salon In Northeast Philadelphia
- Ex-Firefighter In Custody After Taking Several Hostage Inside Elkins Park Firehouse
- CDC: N.J. Medicaid Reimbursement Rates Leaving New Patients Out In The Cold
- Wrangling Begins Over Next Philadelphia Budget: How Will Schools Get Funded?
- Girlfriend Charged With Saturday’s Murder of Darby Borough Police Officer