By Mike Dougherty
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – With tens of thousands of mouths to feed in the Delaware Valley, hunger relief organization Philabundance is asking home gardners to donate any excess fruit and vegetables from their harvest.
“Today is the kickoff of the share the harvest program,” explains Lindsay Hughes.
Hughes, with Philabundance, says there will be weekly drop off times from now through September:
“We have 10 sites across the Delaware Valley where home gardeners can and donate their surplus produce from their gardens. It’ll be donated to a local food pantry in their area and given to people in their community.”
Miriam Anderson brought a box full of cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower and other fresh veggies.
“I love doing it,” she tells KYW Newsradio. “I love gardening, and I love sharing.”
All sites accept donations Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon.
Below is a full list of all the sites…
591 Durham Rd.
Seasons Garden Center
1069 River Rd.
Washington Crossing, Pa.
1638 S. Springdale Rd.
Cherry Hill, NJ
Gardener’s Landscape Nursery
535 E. Uwchlan Ave.
Chester Springs, Pa.
137 W. Knowlton Rd.
Albrecht’s Garden Center
650 Montgomery Ave.
Primex Garden Center
435 W. Glenside Ave.
570 Dekalb Pike
North Wales, Pa.
St. Asaph’s Church
27 Conshohocken State Rd.
Bala Cynwyd, Pa.
Laurel Hill Gardens
8125 Germantown Ave.
- CBS 3 Gets Rare Access Into Life-Saving 21-Day Flight Attendant Training Program
- Police: 72-Year-Old Woman Found Bound In Closet 4 Days After Being Assaulted, Robbed
- GOP-Sponsored Bill Blocks Over $1 Billion In Funding To Pennsylvania Sanctuary Cities
- Judge Rules Jury For Cosby Trial Will Be Picked From Another County
- 4 Dead, 2 Injured After Plane Hits Houses In California
- Dachshund Found In Trash Bag Gets New Wheels
- Local Religious Leaders Stand Together Following Jewish Cemetery Vandalism
- Southwest Airlines Donates 10,000 Roundtrip Flights to Benefit Families In Need
- FBI, Justice Dept. Investigating After Threats Against Jewish Centers Across the Delaware Valley
- 6 Injured In Multi-Vehicle Crash Involving DART Bus