Immigration Reform Advocates Fed Up, Want President Obama To Take Action
By Cherri Gregg
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – It’s been a year since the U.S. Senate introduced a bill outing comprehensive immigration reform and immigrants and allies have lost hope that Congress can get the job done.
Some groups from our area are rallying in York, Pennsylvania Saturday as part of a National Day of Action to get President Obama to take action.
“We have seen that immigration reform is dead and Mr. Obama has a responsibility to do what he has promised,” Blanca Pacheco says.
Pacheco works for the New Sanctuary Movement of Philadelphia. With immigration reformed stalled in Congress, she says advocates have no choice but to pressure the President to use his executive power:
“We want him to stop deportations because two million is too many.”
Maria is one of 150 protesters from Philadelphia and surrounding areas who got on a bus headed for York Prison, where many of Pennsylvania’s undocumented immigrants await deportation. Speaking through an interpreter, she says deportation breaks up families:
“It makes me feel horrible.”
Her son, Anthony, is being deported.
The rally in York was organized by PICC in partnership with groups including NSM, UUPLAN (Unitarian Universalist Pennsylvania Legislative Advocacy Network) and others.
This is just one of many events this summer intended to mobilize advocates in support of immigration reform.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Police: 2 Women Choked, Robbed In Broad Daylight In Philadelphia
- Survivor In Carjacking Crash That Killed 3 Children Speaks Out
- At Least 13 Residents Exposed To Kitten With Rabies In Medford Township
- Police: Pair Sought In Use Of Officer’s Stolen Credit Card
- 1 Injured In Police-Involved Shooting In Southwest Philadelphia
- Viewing Held For Woman Killed In Mercy Wellness Center Shooting
- Forbes Announces New Participants For Its Inaugural ‘Under 30′ Summit In Philadelphia
- Atlantic City Sets Stage For Blake Shelton And Its Future
- Weekend Rain On The Way
- 1 Dead, 2 Injured In Pa. Turnpike Accident In Chester County