PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Just one day after Philadelphia City Council voted to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana, Pope Francis has come out saying he is strongly against the legalization of recreational drugs.
In Rome, the Pope told members of a drug enforcement conference meeting that drug addiction is “an evil” and legalizing drugs does not produce the desired effects of lessening drug use.
The Pope also said the problem of drug use is not solved with more drugs.
On Thursday, Philadelphia City Council signed off on a bill that decriminalizes the possession of small amounts of marijuana with enough votes to override what could be a veto this fall from Mayor Nutter. (See Previous Story)
You may also be interested in these stories:
- What Your Emojis Say About You
- British Man Discovers 4,000-Year-Old Selfie Etched In Stone
- Donald Trump’s Childhood Home Heads To Auction
- Report: Abortions In US Drop To Lowest Level In Over 40 Years
- Man Designs World’s Largest Nerf Gun, Shoots 40mph