PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Just one day after Philadelphia City Council voted to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana, Pope Francis has come out saying he is strongly against the legalization of recreational drugs.
In Rome, the Pope told members of a drug enforcement conference meeting that drug addiction is “an evil” and legalizing drugs does not produce the desired effects of lessening drug use.
The Pope also said the problem of drug use is not solved with more drugs.
On Thursday, Philadelphia City Council signed off on a bill that decriminalizes the possession of small amounts of marijuana with enough votes to override what could be a veto this fall from Mayor Nutter. (See Previous Story)
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Six Flags Brings Down Confederate Flags
- Judge Refuses To Delay Trial For Would-Be Solar Eclipse Watcher
- Chocolate May Help Prevent An Irregular Heartbeat, Study Says
- Feds: Texas Man Tried Planting Bomb On Confederate Statue
- Millions Gaze In Wonder At Historic Solar Eclipse In US