By Matt Leon
The United States men’s national soccer team will open play in the World Cup this evening as they take on Ghana.
The United States has been eliminated from the last two World Cups by Ghana. In 2006, a 2-1 Ghana win eliminated the Americans in the group stage. In 2010 Ghana took care of the Americans in the Round of 16 with a 2-1 victory.
This will be the first of three matches for the US in the group stage. The second will be Sunday against Portugal. Then the US wraps up group play on June 26th against Germany.
Speaking of Germany, they announced their presence with authority earlier today as they opened with a very impressive 4-0 win over Portugal.
KYW’s Matt Leon spoke with Kerith Gabriel of PhiladelphiaUnion.com about what to look for tonight in the US/Ghana match.
You can follow Matt on Twitter @mattleonkyw.
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- Simmonds Leads Flyers Past Predators 4-2 For 5th Straight
- Flyers Rink Employee Goes Pro For 1 Game As Backup Goalie
- Eagles Struggles Continue In Loss To Bengals
- Temple Finishes Season Ranked, Will Play In Military Bowl
- WATCH: Eagles Get On The Board Vs Bengals With TD Pass To Zach Ertz