Gwynn Jr. tweeted this at 12:35pm on Monday:
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Extremely sad news, as Major League baseball announced Tony Gwynn has passed away on Monday. He was battling cancer.
Gwynn, the father of Phillies outfielder Tony Gwynn Jr., had 3,141 hits in his Hall Of Fame career which lasted 20 seasons, all of which with the San Diego Padres. Gwynn won eight batting titles, five gold gloves, and was a 15-time all-star.
On May 14th, Gwynn Jr. joined Michael Barkann and Ike Reese on 94WIP’s Mike & Ike Show and talked about his father.
“It was a good time,” Gwynn Jr. said of spending time with his father when he was young. “I enjoyed the time I got to spend with my dad. Especially, once I turned the age like nine or ten, summer time came, I got to role with him pretty much everywhere.”
You can listen to the interview here.
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- They’re Back: Patriots Win AFC, 36-17 Vs Steelers
- Giroux Scores 3:20 Into OT To Lift Flyers Past Islanders
- How’d You Sleep? Steelers Get Hit With Familiar Late-Night Prank
- Falcons Crush Packers To Advance To Super Bowl LI
- Open Tryout Gives Athletes Chance To Score Spot On Philadelphia Soul