CLARENCE, Pa. (AP) — A central Pennsylvania man has been jailed on charges that he assaulted and tried to disarm a state trooper who tried to keep the man from hanging himself using a seat belt following his arrest on drunken driving charges.
Online court records don’t list an attorney for 35-year-old Gary Jasper, of Winburn, who was stopped for alleged drunken driving Saturday in Snow Shoe Township on Saturday.
Police say Jasper tried to harm himself by wrapping a police cruiser seat belt around his neck as a trooper was driving him to a hospital. Police say Jasper head-butted a trooper and tried to grab the officer’s firearm.
Jasper remained in the Centre County Jail Monday. He faces a preliminary hearing Wednesday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Police: Double Shooting In Woodbury Leaves 2 Injured
- Multi-Vehicle Accident Shuts Down Northbound Lanes On Northeast Extension In Bucks County
- Florida Lawmaker’s Aide Fired After Claiming High School Students Are ‘Actors’
- Police: T-Rex Was Just Walking A Student To School
- Evangelist The Rev. Billy Graham Dies At Age 99