BLACKWOOD, N.J. (CBS) — A 13-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with five sexual contact incidents in an apartment complex in Camden County.
Investigators say the incidents began in December of last year at the Autumn Ridge Apartments on Little Gloucester Road in Blackwood, New Jersey.
This woman says her friend was attacked.
“She kind of fought with him and actually kicked him so she was able to get away from him and then her husband heard her screaming and she was able to get into her apartment,” she said.
According to investigators, on Sunday, a resident of the complex spotted a suspect matching the description of the male wanted in the sexual contact cases.
Officers responded to the scene and eventually tracked the 13-year-old down after a brief chase. Authorities say the suspect attends a school in Camden.
Gloucester Township Police Department provided the details of the incidents:
- January 31, 2014: Suspect approached woman, shows her a condom. As she walks away, suspect grabs her buttocks, woman screams and suspect runs away.
- February 18, 2014: Suspect approaches a woman who is clearing snow off her car, grabs her buttocks and attempts to kiss her, woman screams and suspect runs away.
- February 18, 2014: Suspect approaches another woman walking, grabs her buttocks and attempts to kiss her, woman screams and suspect runs away.
- February 20, 2014: Suspect approached a woman going to her apartment, grabs her buttocks, she yells at him and suspect flees.
- Unknown date in December 2013: After seeing Gloucester Township Police Community Crime Alert, woman reported that a male approached her and rubbed her shoulders inappropriate way, she yelled at him and he fled.
“During the investigation we do believe it was perhaps someone younger, not certainly that they they would be 13-years-old and that did take us by surprise,” Chief Harry Earle of Gloucester Township Police said.
The suspect has been charged with the following charges for each incident: 2nd Degree Attempted Sexual Assault, 4th degree Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact, Lewdness and Harassment.
People who live here are glad an arrest has been made.
“Hopefully they caught him and we don’t have this problem around here anymore. I feel a lot safer,” a resident said.
The teen, whose name was not released, is being held at the Camden County Juvenile Detention Center.