Chargers Win, Keep Eagles Home Opener Streak Alive
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – There are some trends in the NFL that make sense, even when they don’t always come true. The Saints having trouble on the road, in the cold, makes some sense. West coast teams having trouble when they fly to the East Coast for a 1pm game, makes some sense.
Some trends in the NFL come true, and don’t make any sense at all. This is one of them.
The last four Super Bowl champions have been the Eagles home-opener opponent. It’s true. And with their surprise win against the Bengals yesterday, the Chargers are still able to keep that streak alive.
· The New Orleans Saints beat the Eagles 48-22 in the Eagles week 2 home opener.
· The Saints beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLIV 31-17
· The Green Bay Packers beat the Eagles 27-20 in the Eagles week 1 home opener.
· Then beat the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV 31-25
· The New York Giants beat the Eagles 29-16 in the Eagles week 3 home opener.
· Then beat the Patriots 21-17 in Super Bowl XLVI
· The Baltimore Ravens lost to the Eagles 24-23 in the Eagles week 2 home opener.
· The Ravens then beat the 49ers 34-31 in Super Bowl XLVII
· The San Diego Chargers beat the Eagles 33-30 in the Eagles week 2 home opener.
· The Chargers barely snuck into the playoffs, then beat the Bengals yesterday to advance to the second round. The Chargers are huge underdogs next week at Denver, but history says the Chargers will win the Super Bowl this year.