Deborah Heart And Lung Featuring Chef Staib
Chef Staib presented a holiday entertaining guide with heart healthy recipes that include superfoods!
This year, give the gift of a healthy party. Don’t rely on fat-laden foods to serve to guests at your next party. Entertain in heart healthy style with appetizers that are colorful, full of vitamins and nutrients and low in fat and calories.
This leaves everyone feel lighter and happier and in the spirit.
The salmon frittata recipe includes the superfood salmon and bell peppers and mushrooms. It’s stock full of filling vegetables that offer fiber, healthy carbs from the whole wheat pasta, as well as eggs, which have healthy protein.
All of that is packed into a pretty little package.
The grilled vegetable napoleons are one of Chef Staib’s favorite entertaining recipes because they are suitable for any taste. Hearty enough for anyone, they also please vegans and vegetarians.
The colorful stack of veggies boast superfoods mushrooms, eggplant and spinach.
Smoked Salmon on Frittatas
Recipe by Chef Walter Staib
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped portobello mushrooms
2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
2 cups egg substitute, such as egg beaters
4 cups cooked whole wheat angel hair pasta, chilled for at least 30 minutes
freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds smoked salmon
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced, for serving
1/4 cup small capers, drained, for serving
½ cup low fat sour cream, for serving
6 lemon wedges, for garnish
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat a nonstick skillet and sauté garlic, onion, mushrooms, and bell peppers until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside in refrigerator to chill.
- Stir together eggs, pasta and herbs and season with pepper. Combine with chilled vegetables.
- For each frittata, spray a 7-inch nonstick skillet, and ladle approximately 2 Tablespoons of the batter into the skillet to make 32 pancakes.
- Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side, until brown.
- Transfer the pancakes to a plate and keep warm in a 275°F oven.
- Slice salmon into 32 thin slices. To serve, place 1 slice salmon on top of each warm potato pancake. Top with an onion slice, 1/3 teaspoon capers, and 1/4 teaspoon sour cream each.
- Garnish each pancake with a lemon wedge and a sprinkling of parsley. Serve immediately.
Grilled Vegetable Napoleon
Recipe by Chef Walter Staib
4 portabello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
1 large eggplant, sliced ½” rounds
1 red bell pepper roasted, julienne
1 yellow bell pepper roasted, julienne
2 medium yellow squash, sliced ½” rounds
2 medium zucchini, sliced ½” rounds
1 bunch asparagus, cut 5” spears
2 cups Spinach, cleaned trimmed and steamed
Fresh basil for garnish
Balsamic reduction, recipe follows, or storebought
- Spray grill with nonstick cooking spray. Place vegetables on the grill over medium heat and cook until tender, about 10 minutes, turning frequently as the natural sugars will caramelize and burn.
- Layer eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, asparagus, peppers and top with steamed spinach.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Bring the vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Turn the heat to low and reduce by half. Remove from heat and let cool.
- The vinegar will thicken as it cools. To make ahead, it can be refrigerated in a covered container for up to two weeks and then used on the napoleons when needed.