By Elizabeth Hur

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A gunman returns to try and rob a business for the third time and ends up in the hospital.

Police say that this time, one of the workers took matters into his own hands.

It happened around 3 o’clock Thursday afternoon in the 300 block of Snyder Avenue – the same area where police have recently detected a troubling robbery pattern. Officials say officers were already on high alert and nearby, and were able to respond within minutes. That’s when police found the suspect with stab wounds.

“It was really scary at the time,” says Ryan Zheng, who also says that he did what he had to. “We’re fine, we feel that everything is alright. Finally, the police, they got the guy.”

That guy, according to police, is 19-year-old Tishon Jones, seen in surveillance video you saw first on Eyewitness News. Police believe Jones is their suspect caught on camera, wielding a gun and robbing Asian-owned businesses in South Philadelphia.

Police say the suspect struck five times since November 20th and returned to Terryin Restaurant on Snyder Avenue for the third time Thursday afternoon.

“You have to do something to protect yourself,” Zheng told us when we first met him.

We met Zheng on Tuesday when he showed us his new surveillance system and talked about the need to better protect himself. At that time, he had been robbed twice in ten days. Then, on Thursday, when Jones allegedly tried to rob his business again, police say Zheng’s worker stabbed Jones twice in the back and Zheng tackled Jones.

Tanya Warren says she is the 19-year-old’s mother. “I’m just a parent that works every single day, and to find out that my son that I love so much and took care of, did this — it’s very shocking.”

As it turns out, the gun may be a pellet gun, according to sources. But for police and above all, the victims, it looked real, and the suspect’s mother says she does not fault Zheng for what happened.

“I’m very friendly, friends with the owner, so no. I told him do what you have to do,” Warren said.

Police tell us they are now reviewing surveillance video and their investigation is continuing.

At last check, Jones was taken to Methodist Hospital in stable condition.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More From CBS Philly

Latest Videos
Latest Forecast

Watch & Listen LIVE