FBI Searching For Serial Robber In Montgomery And Bucks Counties
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The FBI and police are searching for an armed serial robber wanted for a robbery spree in Montgomery and Bucks Counties.
The FBI says this suspect has struck the bank inside this Giant supermarket in Lower Gwynedd Township twice in just the last three weeks. The latest earlier this week, although he didn’t get away with much because the tellers were closing for the day and had already put away the cash in their drawers.
“He’s actually shown a weapon in the earlier commercial jobs,” Joe Bushner of the FBI said.
Officials say the suspect is wanted in connection with at least eight robberies in the past three-and-a-half weeks:
* 10/21 – Saladworks, 314 Horsham Road, Horsham Township, PA
* 10/22 – Lukoil, 3401 W. Moreland Road, Upper Moreland Township, PA
* 10/24 – Jimmy John’s, 3612 Welsh Road, Upper Dublin Township, PA
* 10/25 – Bank of America inside Giant Food, 1121 Bethlehem Pike, Lower Gwynedd Township, PA
* 11/1 – Bank of America inside Weis Market, 25 West Germantown Pike, East Norriton, PA
* 11/7 – PNC Bank inside Giant Food, 760 Route 113, Hilltown Township, PA
* 11/8 – Citizens Bank inside ACME, 505 W. Butler Avenue, New Britain Township, PA
* 11/12 – Bank of America inside Giant Food, 1121 Bethlehem Pike, Lower Gwynedd Township, PA (attempted robbery)
The first robbery was October 21st at this Saladworks in Horsham. The man showed a gun and made off with the cash in the drawer. The next day he hit this Lukoil down the street and two days later a Jimmy John’s in Willow Grove. The next day authorities say he hit a Bank of America inside a Lower Gwynedd Giant supermarket.
“Just need to be careful, really careful because we bank around the area,” a resident said.
Authorities say over the last two weeks he struck four more banks all inside supermarkets passing the teller a note and leaving with the cash in the drawer.
“A stand alone bank is not so easy to surveil because it’s going to raise somebody’s suspicion. If you go into a supermarket and you shop and pick things up off the shelf and try to see what’s going on without drawing much attention,” Bushner said.
At some of the robberies, the suspect has displayed a handgun. He’s described as a white male in his 30s, approximately 5’10”-6” tall, with a medium build and brown hair. He’s been seen with facial hair or stubble.
The suspect has worn various things, including a red Phillies cap, a black jacket with a light colored stripe across the chest, a green baseball cap with a pink brim and a blue hooded sweatshirt. He’s also been reported to have carried a green recyclables bag where he puts stolen money.
The suspect has been observed inside a silver four-door sedan at multiple robbery scenes.
“A sign of the times, people need money,” a resident said.
“Maybe closer to Christmas and people are desperate, maybe lack of jobs,” another neighbor said.
Police say he should be considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information about him is urged to call the FBI at 215-641-8910. There may be a reward for information leading to this subject’s capture; tipsters can remain anonymous.