By Michelle Durham

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — There is a tremendous amount of preparation that goes into sending a child off to college. Just ask any parent who has been there — they will tell you! But one item that many forget is renters insurance.

State Farm Spokesperson Dave Phillips explains who needs renters insurance.

“If the student is on campus, there is coverage that is already applicable under your homeowners policy, so their personal items will be protected,” Phillips says. “The problem occurs when the student is going to be living off campus or renting in an apartment. Now an off campus environment that is sanctioned and approved by the university could still be considered temporary housing, but if they are going into a contract with a rental, they may need homeowners insurance.”

Phillips says now is the time for parents of students living in a dorm to double check their homeowners policy. Rental insurance is relatively inexpensive, but a lifesaver.

“To make sure that not only their belongings are safe,” he says, “but they are safe with the appropriate coverage in the event that temporary housing is needed in the event that something happens, like a fire.”

Is your child taking a car to school out of state? Double check with your insurance agent to see if that vehicle needs to re-registered and if the insurance coverage needs to be reevaluated.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More From CBS Philly

Latest Videos
Latest Forecast

Watch & Listen LIVE