By Stephanie Stahl
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) —Choking is the leading cause of injury and death among young children. Preston Elliot, who’s on the Preston and Steve radio show, says it happened to his son during dinner Monday.
The local radio personality shared the scary family episode with listeners on his morning show. He said it happened during the meal with his wife and three children.
“It was just confusion very quickly, and I realized, okay, he’s choking,” explained Preston.
It was his 10-year-old son, Carter, who wasn’t breathing. Preston jumped into action, demonstrating on Stahl what he did — the Heimlich maneuver.
But the first few times didn’t work.
“If you think about a child’s airway, think about it looking like their pinky and being the diameter of their pinky. If everyone were to look at their child’s, it’s very, very small,” said Dr. Christopher Haines, an emergency medicine specialist at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children.
Preston didn’t have any formal training, but he knew the basics, and realized he had to stop worrying about hurting his son.
“It felt like I was punching him in the stomach. In and up, and so I did that a few more times and eventually, it came out,” said Preston.
It was a big hunk of steak. Preston took a picture, against a dollar bill, to show how large it was.
Preston wanted to share his life lesson and thinks everyone needs to know how to do the Heimlich.
Luckily, Carter is fine.
“We got a lot of calls. I think most people have had — if not an experience themselves — someone they know, or they’ve been around someone who’s choked before,” said Preston.
For choking information and Heimlich maneuver video demonstrations, visit: www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/choking.html