Underground Fire Causes Evacuations In Queen Village
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Officials say some underground electrical wires caught fire in an upscale Philadelphia neighborhood and some residents had to be evacuated.
It happened early Thursday in the city’s Queen Village section. Firefighters arrived on the scene and quickly put out the fire, which officials say involved PECO wires.
A few hours later, however, a resident called police after a carbon monoxide detector went off in a home in the area. Crews arrived back on the scene and found high levels of carbon monoxide in some homes and businesses.
The power was shut off while PECO made checks with a handheld meter. Power was eventually returned and people have been allowed back inside their homes.
There were no reports of injuries.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)