New Jersey Teacher Charged With 92 Counts Related To Child Abuse
PINE HILL, N.J. (CBS) – A New Jersey middle school teacher has been charged with 92 counts related to child abuse.
Charles Reilly, 44, was indicted by a Grand Jury January 23rd and the indictment was made public on Wednesday. Reilly was an art teacher and boys soccer coach at Pine Hill Middle School.
According to investigators, the indictment resulted from evidence presented by 17 male students from Pine Hill Middle School.
It is alleged that one student was the victim of sexual touching in June 2007. In addition, investigators say that other victims received inappropriate sexual communications from Reilly from 2006 to March 2011, when Reilly was arrested.
The victims ranged in age from 12 to 16 at the time of the interactions with Reilly.
Authorities say during the course of the investigation, Reilly engaged in inappropriate sexual interactions over the internet with an undercover officer posing as a student and Reilly asked the undercover officer to delete electronic communications of a sexual nature.
Investigators also say they found child pornography in Reilly’s possession. However, none of the images appear to be children that Reilly knew.
Reilly has been suspended with pay since his arrest.
Here is a list of the charges that Reilly is facing:
- 1 count of 2nd degree Sexual Assault
- 18 counts of 2nd degree Endangering the Welfare of a Child
- 18 counts of 2nd degree Official Misconduct
- 1 count of 2nd degree Attempted Endangering the Welfare of a Child
- 2 counts of 2nd degree Luring or Enticing a Child
- 3 counts of Attempted Creation and Distribution of Child Pornography (a 2nd degree Endangering charge)
- 1 count of 2nd degree Attempted Official Misconduct
- 5 counts of Hindering Apprehension
- 42 counts of 4th degree Endangering the Welfare of a Child