TRENON, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey residents displaced by Superstorm Sandy can stay in hotels on the federal government’s dime until Jan. 26, but the number of people who need the program is dwindling.
The program had been scheduled to end Saturday, but officials announced Thursday that it would be extended two more weeks.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency says 5,400 households have used the agency’s temporary housing program since Nov. 1.
FEMA official Christy Grant says fewer than 2,800 households are in the program now, but that number is expected to drop to around 1,100 by Saturday as people find longer-term housing.
The program in New Jersey has cost more than $17 million so far. The average stay is 25 days.
The government has extended the program several times in two-week increments.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)