Reporting Paul Kurtz
By Paul Kurtz and Jericka Duncan
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Fire officials have determined the cause of a four-alarm fire that engulfed a warehouse used by a Mummers band Monday afternoon to be electrical.
Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said a problem with the electrical wiring sparked the fire at or near the auto shop located inside the warehouse.
A day after the fire, the Mummers band was finally able to enter the warehouse and they were elated to find that their props and equipment sustained little damage.
“It is amazing. Somebody up there was looking out for us,” said Fraelinger String Band Captain Tom D’Amore.
“At first glance, it doesn’t look like anything is unsalvageable. Maybe some of the foam work might need to be replaced, but that’s to be determined. We don’t know yet. That just might dry out. We might be able to wring it out, but we’re very optimistic with the way everything looks. We got out of there in record time. It’s fantastic,” D’Amore added.
The band members got the okay to enter after firefighters knocked out a few pesky hot spots that kept popping up.
With little in the way of repairs ahead, D’Amore says the band will focus their attention on getting ready for the parade and helping the families who lost their homes and possessions as a result of the blaze.