By Mike Dunn

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Now that the brunt of Sandy has passed, crews from Peco and the Philadelphia Streets Department are out trying to restore power and remove downed trees.

Mayor Michael Nutter, meantime, is breathing a sigh of relief.

“We came through it,” the mayor said today, visibly relieved that only one minor injury was reported in Philadelphia so far as a result of Hurricane Sandy.

He credits that to proper planning and cooperation.

“The citizens heard what we said, and more importantly took that information and utilized in ways to ensure their safety,” he said.

The work today, Nutter says, was assessment, cleanup, and restoration.

“It’s tedious work, it’s dangerous work, so I call on the public and ask for your patience,” the mayor said.

In a sign of some of the damage that Sandy brought Philadelphia, a car was crushed by a falling tree on Rhawn Street.  It was not immediately known if anyone was injured.

The mayor said 340 trees were reported as coming down and Philadelphia fire and EMS personnel responded to 1,300 incidents Monday night alone — 300 more than the previous record set during Floyd in 1999.

The mayor said city government offices will be open on Wednesday along with Philadelphia public, Catholic, and charter schools; students using yellow buses should expect delays.  Parents needing information can go to the school district’s web site or call the district’s hotline at 215-400-4636.

The mayor also said that trash and recycling collection would resume Wednesday.  Monday or Tuesday collections should be held for one week.

City officials also noted that a Philadelphia Fire Department search-and-rescue team has been deployed to New York as part of the federal response there.

The city received and processed a record number of 911 calls during the storm and its aftermath.  Police are now getting back to their normal, eight-hour shifts.

Parking regulations will be in effect tomorrow in the City of Philadelphia.

Watch & Listen LIVE