Interstate 76 Closed For Hours Sunday Morning In Philadelphia After Fatal Shooting

By Al Novack and Oren Liebermann

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A fatal shooting early Sunday morning on the Schuylkill Expressway remains under investigation.

State police are hopeful other drivers who may have witnessed something unusual will eventually come forward.

State police say 29-year-old Kareem El from Philadelphia died after being shot around 2:45 a.m. just east of City Avenue, near the Montgomery Drive exit. The driver lost control and struck a medial barrier.

A passenger in the targeted car flagged down a passing Philadelphia police officer who contacted medics and state police. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident closed the eastbound lanes of the roadway east of City Avenue for close to five hours.

State troopers have not commented on a motive. Investigators say numerous shots were fired at the victim’s car. The gunman fled and remains at large.

State police ask anyone who may have seen anything to call the Philadelphia-Belmont barracks at 215-560-6200.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

1. Joe says:

Their “sight-seeing-DE-tour” directed traffic from 76 EAST to route 1 NORTH. My GPS only tried to direct me back on 76 east. My hard earned tax dollars help pay their salary so they can take one minute and let me know the next entrance back on 76 east that is not blocked. They were not doing anything anyways. KYW news radio eventually gave me the information I needed

2. Tray says:

It’s really sad that Philadelphia has become awar zone. I don’t want to hear that poverty is leading people to kill. I won’t buy it. I may work for a living but I struggle each and every day and I’m not out there killing people. Tired of hearing excuses for these savages that walk amongst us. They need to be arrested and executed. Why do they deserve a “trial.” Why should the taxpaying citizens in this city have to pay to have them housed and fed. As far as I’m concerned, they have given up every single right to live when they decided to KILL!!!!

1. Bernard says:

I agree. Anybody who is suspected of committing a crime should be executed on the spot, without a trial. Trials are a waste of the taxpayers’ money. And if they got the wrong person, that’s just the way it goes.

3. Kurt M. says:

This past year Philly has really gone in the gutter. It’s sad because Philly is getting national press about how bad it is now.

4. Joe Joe says:

are you Fing serious dude? They are in the middle of handling a HOMICIDE scene and you want directions? get over yourself you self absorbed loser

1. Joe says:

They were not investigatin a crime scene or anywhere near it! They were sitting in their car, doing nothing but blocking traffic from entering 76 East. Get a clue and think before you post a comment.

5. Joe says:

I understand the need to close down highways for major incidences like this. But there is no need for the jerk state police to not help you find an alternate route or tell you how many exits are blocked. I was told to “DRIVE! DO YOU WANT A TICKET?!? DRIVE!” instead of giving me alternate routes so I can make it to work. To serve and protect?..maybe one of two…

1. Chris says:

Maybe get a GPS like the rest of the world and drive your car. They’re cops, not tour guides.

1. Joe says:

Their “sight-seeing- DE-tour” directed me from 76 East to Route 1 N and my GPS kept trying to put me back on 76 East. KYW news radio eventually gave me the information I needed. My taxes help pay their salary so they can spare one minute and tell me what is the next open entrance to 76 East.

Comments are closed.