Easter Lillies Are Toxic To Cats
By Nan Talleno
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - You may have some beautiful flowers for the Easter holiday but be aware that many types of flowers and plants can pose serious problems if exposed to your pets.
Easter lilies and other lilies as well, can be severely toxic to cats, causing kidney failure and possible death.
Unfortunately, every part of the Easter lily is toxic. Consumption of just one leaf can be extremely dangerous. A cat will generally vomit within a couple of hours after ingestion of even a small amount. Lethargic behavior may also accompany this.
If you suspect that your cat has been exposed to the plant with the possibility of ingestion, contact your veterinarian immediately as treatment must be made within the first 18 hours to prevent irreversible kidney damage from occurring.
To be safe, keep all plants and flowers safely away from your pets.
For a complete list of toxic plants and flowers (complete with pictures) that affect both dogs and cats (and horses as well), be sure to go to the Animal Poison Control Center’s site at www.aspca.org.