Mike Milbury Says ‘There’s A Little Punk’ In Sid Crosby, And Coach Bylsma Should ‘Take Off His Skirt’

By Spike Eskin

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – If the end of Sunday’s Flyers game against the Penguins was any indication of how their potential playoff series may go, we’re probably in for some hard hitting hockey, and not just the players. Flyers coach Peter Laviolette, so furious with the final minutes, had to be held back from going after Penguins coach Dan Bylsma.

Former NHL head coach and current “NHL on NBC” analyst Mike Milbury was thrilled at the series of events that ended the game. “I loved every minute of it. I loved especially the last five minutes of it, and it was great TV. And who knew that Jaromir Jagr in his old age was going to become poetic?” Milbury joined 94WIP’s Angelo Cataldio and The Morning Team on Monday to talk about the bad blood between the two teams.

“It’s not totally uncommon,” Milbury said of Laviolette’s behavior at the end of the game. “I can remember being on such a perch, or at least trying to climb over the boards to get at somebody to make a point. And I thought Dan Bylsma should have taken off his skirt and gone over there,” he said.

One of the instigators of the fight was the Penguins’ Sidney Crosby. “Little goody two shoes [Crosby] goes into the corner and gives a shot to Schenn. Schenn was late to the party, he should have turned around and drilled him right away, but I guess better late than never,” Milbury said. “So you know, Crosby gets cross-checked, big whoop. He said after he came back from his 35th concussion, ‘I’m not going to do this anymore, I’m not going to get into this scrums, I’m going to stay away from that stuff.’ He couldn’t help himself because there’s a little punk in Crosby. He’s not the perfect gentleman. He’s not the sweet kid you see in interviews with his hat pulled down over his eyes. I’d say screw him, hit him,” he said.

“There’s a lot to settle after that.”

**UPDATE** Mike Milbury issued a statementapologizing for the above comments (statement via NBC Pro Hockey Talk).

“I reached out to David Morehouse and the Penguins about the comments I made yesterday on Philadelphia radio,” Milbury said. “In hindsight, I realize what I said was inappropriate and wrong, and I want to apologize to the Penguins organization and their fans.”

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More from Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Team
Comments

1. Alan says:

You guys are making Spike Eskin famous. Seriously, he is sitting back in his chair laughing at the controversy he’s stirred up. Like father like son.

2. Joe says:

For the first time ever, Mike Milbury says something that’s true. Amazing.

3. Jeff Smythe says:

Mike Milbury, I am hereby challenging you. Shoes at 20 paces.

4. Filthadelphia Cryers says:

bums***

5. The real deal says:

and i thought Vinnie and Cooke Was annoying… Wow

1. Jeff Smythe says:

No, you’re still right about that.Don’t be so hard on yourself.

6. Hannah Smith says:

Hey Milbury…shouldn’t you be at a local rink assaulting a 12 year old kid?

7. brad marchand says:

wait…were those their actual voices? people dont really have accents like that do they?

8. K. G. says:

Hey Milbury – Take off the skirt and do an interview on Pittaburgh radio now.

1. K. G. says:

OOPS – Error in Spelling: PITTSBURGH – Sorry for that.

Hey Milbury: You should stick to coaching Pee Wee Hockey

2. 1975islongago says:

Hey Milbury knows toughness. He was awesomely tough when he roughed up the 12 years old pee-wee player at one of his kids hockey games in December.

Honestly the guy is a bozo…who couldn’t beat the Pens as a coach…of course if he was any good at coaching he wouldn’t be in the TV studio, he’d be on the bench

9. Crosby says:

hahaha 1975

10. kelly smith says:

ok the thing i would like to address is the fact that mike milbury feels the need to state that crosby is not as innocent as we all think…. no one said he was. the whole incident had nothing to do with whether crosby is innocent or not, it has to do with the fact that schenn intentionally cross checked crosby for no good reason. and when i say no good reason i’m not saying there wasnt a reason at all. sure crosby and schenn got into it in the corner and no crosby wasnt innocent on that play, but it was during the game! schenn chose to skate behind crosby after the whistle and probably after he knew that goal would count and his penalty would not count, and cross check him in the back, now how brave is that!! why not go face to face instead of giving a cheap shot to, in his own words, his favorite player…… in an interview before the draft he was asked who is fav player was….crosby was his answer. id hate to see what he does to a player he doesnt like. but in philly fashion he chooses to do it cheaply and without the player being aware of it! now on to vitale’s hit!!! totally clean and what did you want bylsma to do..put out his best players in a game that could not be won at that point against the dirtiest team in the league???? of course he was protecting his players much like granato was doing for bylsma! no one wants to be suspended for the last 3 reg season games, pens want their coach behind the bench and if laviolette cant understand that and hes a idiot!!! much like milbury is…i mean why attach what happened the way he did, nothing he said was right, nothing he said carried any sort of proof. hes always talking about illegal hits and hits from behind, why is this any different? why is it when it happens to crosby everyone gets in this big uproar about whining or attaching the mans character??!!! give me a break, philly is and has always been the dirtiest team and they are now just grooming young schenn to be like them!!! way to go brayden…hope you are proud of yourself for being what philly wants you to be! dirty!!! as for milibury, i hope one day you wake up and realize you dont have to attach someones character in order to try and make yourself look like you know what you are talking about!! crosby’s not innocent and i’d love to see him show it!! oh and mike…how brave was it of you to hit a fan with your shoe????? real courage that is….sometimes it takes more courage to do whats right so u can continue to be there for your team…. oh and one more thing, i’d love to see anyone and i mean anyone go through the adversary that crosby has endured his whole life, whether it be from fans, other players, the media, and come out of it the way he has. hes not innocent but he sure as hell is one great hockey player and person!!!! id be crazy by now and would be in the penalty box every minute of every game…….to have even said what you said milbury, i think you are the coward and are the most irresponsible, unknowledgeable, despicable excuse for a human being! and my opinion might now mean much to you or anyone else but it had to be said! it something i’d love to say to your face!!!

1. Brian R says:

Let’s put it this way, Schenn, although it wasn’t the right way to go about it but he was getting back at Crosby for the slash against Vorececk which was more then obvious and didn’t get a pentaly for it of course a long with the few others he got away with namely the one on Giroux at the face off. It just gets old to fans and players watching him and Malkin in that matter get away with stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Flyers fan but I watch a lot of hockey and let me just tell you, thats not the only team(Flyers) that Crosby and Malkin get away with stuff playing against, I’ve been saying that for a while. I do like Malkin and I think hes a great player so It’s not like I’m going against players I don’t like, it’s just getting old. As for the tail end of the game, yes hockey will be hockey but you know exactly what he was doing when he sent out his 4th line at the end of the game. He knew what he wanted and knew what he was going for so before you sit back and pretend like nothing happen, you know damn well that they were looking to start the trouble they did.

1. bri says:

they might get special treatment, but it’s not their fault. they can’t call penalties on themselves, thats up to the refs. it’s not fair to blame them for that.

2. phil5111 says:

They don’t get special treatment. It just seems that way because everything they do is under a microscope. Didn’t the cowardly Schenn get away with one?

2. Eric Leming says:

So crosby hitting schenn after the play and skating away like a little girl is real tough. Schenn had the right to retaliate. As for the flyers being the dirtiest team in the leauge, I don’t know if you watched the game but the penguins, Malkin & Crosby in particular were the dirtiest players on the ice. Lets not forget 2 weeks ago when Kunitz blatantly disregarded the officials and went after hartnell for no reason.

1. Kutch507 says:

Crosby is the biggest Wuss in the entire NHL! What about Enggland fighting Simmonds after he took stitches to the face the day before?! All a bunch of tough guyd!

3. Pit fan says:

You”re an A$$ Hole!

1. Pit fan says:

@ kelly smith you are an a$$

11. jeff smythe says:

I have heard reports from insiders with the NHL that Ray Shero (GM of the Penguins) is in talks with the league to forfeit the opening round of the playoffs if they have to play the Flyers.

1. Colin K C says:

Wishful thinking. That would be Philly’s only chance to win.

1. Bryan_Mc says:

i agree, because they’ve handled the flyers so well this season. :P

2. E_23 says:

This may be the dumbest comment on this site. How’s that new arena working out for you? 0-5 agains the flyers on your new home ice.

12. pete says:

Guess the award Jack Adams means nothing to a dip…. like Milbury. The Flyers wrothe the instructional manual on goonism, and thats all that needs to be said. KARMA

13. MALKAMANIA 2012 says:

PUCK PHILLY You may win the season series the PENS will win the playoffs 4 games to 2

14. jeff smythe says:

Mike Milbury should stick to what he knows best……..assaulting kids at pee-wee hockey games.

1. pete says:

Punk?
      Ttakes one to know one Milbury! You still Haven’t gotten over losing in the playoffs to the Pens years ago. Grow up

15. Glenn Steves says:

But at the end of the day we all win because we’re insulting strangers anonymously on the Internet.

1. Bryan_Mc says:

touche,brother

16. Lindsay says:

I’m just…..I’m not totally sure what Mikey thinks should have happened. They like go to center ice and duke it out? I’m just not seeing it. And pardon me if Bylsma isn’t well versed in how to handle the situation when a man who’s being paid big bucks to represent his franchise and city starts vandalizing their arena and throws a hockey stick at him. Guess hes just more accustomed to class in Pittsburgh.

17. Syracuse says:

Are these really Flyer fans taking shots at Milbury, my respect for him just went tenfold.

1. Bcrice says:

Syracuse… explains the stupidity of your post.

18. Bell says:

Hard to believe NBC employs Milbury after he assaulted kids

19. Steve says:

The Flyers will go a 38th straight summer without a stanley cup.

20. ken says:

Mill who?

21. Jeff Fartsmell says:

Can’t wait for the series. Once the Penguins win, the Filth-adelphia Cryers will certainly live up to their name.

1. CindyisaFairy says:

Did you actually attend a school or were you raised by rats in one of the crumbling warehouses in your garbage city’s depressing industrial sector?

Not that I’m trying to insult rats or anything but comparing them to you.

22. Jeff Fartsmell says:

The Filth-adelphia Cryers are all punks, they match the mentality of their city and their fans. Hartnell is the biggest cheap shot artist in the league. Maybe if they won once in awhile they would know how to act. I’m ashamed that Filth-adelphia is part of the great state of Pennsylvania. They must have an inferiority complex being so close to NYC and DC and also trying to keep up with Pittsburgh’s championships. As for Milbury, he’s still upset because his Bruins could never beat the Lemieux-led Penguins during his tenure.

1. Pittsburgh SUCKS says:

You have the biggest crybaby in professional hockey on your team – and after he got a tap on the back from Schenn, he DOVE to the ice and looked around to see if the refs noticed the hit. He’s ridiculous. Someone with his talent should just play the game and let his ability show, instead he resorts to kindergarten antics and gets the calls to go his way….it’s a shame Pittsburgh sucks the way it does!

1. qongo says:

Okay. I was at this game, directly behind the Philly bench. This is what I saw happen. Correct me if someone saw something different. Crosby checked Schenn during the play, and skated away. A whistle was blown a few seconds later. Schenn approached Crosby from behind, and cross checks him. Crosby got up, went back to the bench, and the refs decided it should be a penalty. Everyone acts like Crosby got on the PA system and formally requested a penalty, or writhed around in pain, he got up, looked at him for a second, maybe wondering why he was randomly crosschecked after the play, and skated away. I guess I’m just missing something

2. Jeff Smythe says:

I know, right? I know I’d much rather pay to see knuckledraggers as opposed to players like Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Giroux………..old time hockey!

23. PhillyHockey says:

Milbury is a crzy guy but these penguin fans are just as bad. They remind me of new jersey devil fans. Crying about crosby and running the most boring hockey I’ve ever seen. Get some guts girls, in the broad street days these penguin fans would be cowering under their steel city bleachers.

Eskin is trying to incite flyers fans with the article, I believe at his core he loves the penguins and is probably a closet crosby fan.

1. CindyisaFairy says:

The Penguins have fans? Oh, they are making the playoffs now so of course they do. Guess all these kids were fans when they almost had to move the team to Boise or wherever it was going to end up.

Pittsburgh is just the same as Florida. I mean as fairyweather fans go, not as if Pittsburgh had any night life, anything worthwhile to see, anything even to do, anybody even remotely attractive living within the city limits, or any jobs.

1. Franchise says:

You seem to have quite an obsession with Pittsburgh- what’s your deal?

2. lindsay says:

Lol, you are just embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge. The team almost left because they were poorly managed before Mario and they couldn’t getvfunding for a new arena. If you’re, your filthy Philly game was the 249 consecutive sellout.

2. Tayler W says:

boring brand of hockey? i mean they lead the league in goals per game, but yeah thats pretty boring. moron

24. Pens4Life says:

Im a pens fan and i will admit till no end crosby and malkin get away with almost everything. good for us but really bad for the league overall. letting people get away with stuff cause the name on thier jersey doesnt make the game fun to watch and i can see why its not so popular cause of it.

25. whocares says:

Yes Milbury maybe Crosby isn’t perfect but Flyers were also cross checking Crosby and there were no calls throughout the game and Crosby had his helmet ripped off of him during the game its over so what move on and if there was a fight between the two coaches Milbury would of been calling for Penguins coach to be suspended for the rest of season and playoffs

26. Don Cherry says:

I’d rather see skill players on the ice like Crosby, Ov, Stamkos, St. Louis, Sedeens, etc etc than thugs of average talent like the Milbury’s of the NHL. Guys like Milbury are a dime a dozen in the NHL. The special players are the one’s who sell the game and will help it become more popular. Can you imagine if Michael Jordan, Magic, Larry Byrd were taken out of the game by cheap shot artists in the NBA like a Bill Lambeer type thug ? The NBA would be a meaningless league without those guys. The NHL needs its skill superstars too.

1. CantWait says:

Not really sure how Milbury’s talent as a hockey player has anything to do with… well, anything? You’re commenting on this and you don’t even know how to spell the Sedin’s last name. You’re talking about HOCKEY, it’s a tough sport, and here’s a new flash for you, they all take their cheap shots. Pretty much what you’re saying is that it’s okay for Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and Stamkos to take their shots but since they are superstars no one should be able to touch them. I’m a Flyers fan, and I’m not going to give my take on who wins this series, because honestly it’s going to be a tough one, but I hope that every time Crosby’s and Malkin’s skates touch the ice someone is taking their shots at them. If they can’t handle, then that’s a valuable point for the Flyers.

27. Bob says:

Crosby and Malkin are dirty players. The Refs let them get away with a lot. Malkin hits Girouix in the back of the head a couple times when he’s laying face down on the ice. Crosby slashes throughout the game. No calls. They sure know how to cry though.

1. whocares says:

Flyers were slashing Crosby throughout the game move on already

1. ksk says:

you have that backwards. Even the NBC commentators showed the numerous times Crosby slashed. And the two sticks he broke doing it.

2. jeff smythe says:

Yeah, when I looked up fair play, respect for your opponent, and sportsmanship on wikipedia….there was a pic of the Flyers.

28. Dennie-O says:

I think the last time Mike Milbury was relevant was in the 1990’s. Who cares what this guy says, really.

1. Joe Conroy says:

He was awful as a coach & stinks at announcing. HE’S the punk!

29. James says:

The fact of the matter is the media chose not to show Crosby take liberties on Schenn that led to Schenn retaliating with a harmless crosscheck that players get throughout the game. Crosby started the whole thing. And you know what, I give him credit for it. As a captain he spurred up emotions in his time and getting them into it etc . . . but I don’t respect the fact he didn’t mention that he instigated it with Schenn…and i didn’t expect him to but he should have at least had enough class to say it was just part of the game instead of playing the victim.

1. James says:

meant in his “team”| not “time”

1. Amanda says:

Ummmm, he did. See his post practice interview today.

30. GodHand says:

Milbury beats kids and punches players. Anything he says about “punks” or fighting should be disregarded.

31. Alan says:

Wow, where did all these Penguin apologists come from? I thought this was a Philly news site and these closet Pittsburg girls are coming out all over.

Of course leave it to an Eskin to try a fuel a fire even more. Come on Spike, this is a classless article!

1. Jac says:

“Penguin apologists”, did you mean knowledgeable hockey fans?

1. CindyisaFairy says:

Hahaha if you show me a Penguin fan that knows what they are talking about, I’ll find you a Tampa Bay Lightning fan that has watched any game that wasn’t a Cup final.

Then again I can’t really tell the difference between Florida fairweather fans and Pittsburgh fairweather fans anyway. At least not until you can get close enough to smell the cheap Keystone Light they use to try and forget that they live in Pittsburgh.

2. Spike says:

Hold up, what did I do?

Classless how? I wrote what the guy said on our radio station. The guy was an NHL head coach and currently a national NHL broadcaster.

I didn’t say it Alan, I just wrote what was said. Not taken out of context in the least.

Maybe you think what he said was classless, but I didn’t write anything either than what happened. Don’t take your Penguin fan hate out on me!

32. Kevin says:

Milbury has “NOTHING” to offer anymore except saying something outrageous and stupid. Head back to rec league rink Mike and go after little kids. Idiot. These two teams hate each other, both are great teams and they play it anyway they can to win. That is something Milbury could not pull off as a player, coach or GM.

33. metcarfre says:

Casual sexism from Milbury!?

That’s unpossible!

34. JC says:

Milbury is bitter Kevin Stevens told him basically he was a punk and the Pens were going to come back and win the series back in the 90’s…….remember the punk that was charged for beating a 12 year old up?

35. Dustin S... says:

They Don’t Want Crosby To Fight, Crosby Would Tear Him Up. When Ever Crosby Does Fight, He Kicks Some Ones Ass..

1. CantWait says:

Really? Since when? When has ever fought anyone legit? Not that I’m saying I expect him too, that’s not his game, but seriously? Maybe Crosby vs Semin would be a good fight. Crosby is a great hockey player, but a great fighter? Not so much.

2. Matt says:

Croby doesnt have the guts to fight anyone that knows what theyre doing. He just takes cheap shots and haves his other players finish it. Thats why i respect players like Ovechkin and Gaborik. They have the balls to fight real fighters and make the big hits without anyone else stepping in. You Pittsburg fans are just looking to complain like you always do

1. Matt says:

Crosby*

36. Jac says:

Who cares what Milbury has to say? He’s one of the worst analysts in hockey and he was a below average coach. He’s always been bitter towards the Penguins so hearing him say these comments don’t surprise me in the least. I’m just wondering if he’s gonna go beat up another 12 year old.

37. Amidall says:

Completely classless!

38. Shane Thompson says:

Milbury should worry a little more about not assaulting 12 year old kids and a little less abut Sidney Crosby and Dan Bylsman. see you in the playoffs.

39. Matt p says:

What a class act encouraging coaches to fight. That quote alonenullifys his entire point. Get a clue!!!!

1. lindsay says:

Thank you. People are trying to apply the principle of players fighting to coaches fighting, and its totally different. Yeah when two guys decide they are going to drop the gloves, take off their helmets, and settle a score, I think there’s something to be said for that as far as honor goes. The same doesn’t apply to coaches. What does Milbury think should have happened? They meet at center ice and take off their suit jackets and duel? I cant even comprehend what he is possibly thinking.

40. Bell says:

Milbury is what is wrong with the NHL…..Rooting for fights instead of enjoying the game and skill of the athletes. What a jerk!

41. Hockey Knight says:

Milbury was a goon as a player a medocre coach and GM and lousy analyst. Don’t expect anything more from him on that.

42. Sid says:

Yeah, Milbury would have beaten some little kid with his shoe… Only “punks” in the house were wearing black and orange.

43. tim heidecker says:

he said it not totally ‘common’ not uncommon, idiots

Comments are closed.