Jonathan Papelbon: Phillies Fans More Knowledgeable Than Red Sox Fans

By Spike Eskin

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Jonathan Papelbon hasn’t been a member of the Philadelphia Phillies for very long, but he already notices a difference between Phillies fans and Red Sox fans.

“The difference between Boston and Philadelphia, the Boston fans are a little bit more hysterical when it comes to the game of baseball,” Papelbon said in an interview with 94WIP’s Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Team.  “The Philly fans tend to know the game a little better, being in the National League, you know, the way the game is played.

I’ve had a guy take off his prosthetic leg and throw it in the bullpen in Boston,” Papelbon said. Even though Red Sox fans can be extreme at times, Papelbon used it to his advantage. “It’s a religion. It’s a way of life. They come to the field and they expect certain things out of players. It’s an environment where you put up or shut up. I enjoyed that. It got my motor running every day.”

When he became a free-agent, Papelbon says he expected more from the Red Sox. “It was a situation where the Red Sox didn’t really come at me the way I was expecting them to come at me in the off-season. And I told my agent that the first team that shows me interest and shows me loyalty, I’m going to show that right back to them, and that was Philadelphia,” he said.

What if that team showing loyalty and interest would have been the Yankees? “You hate ’em when you play in between the lines. But there’s a fine line here. That hate and that passion to beat them was in between the lines, and that was it. I would have definitely entertained the decision to go to the Yankees if that was there, but obviously it wasn’t,” he said.

“I really don’t even care to be totally honest. Honestly, I could not be happier,” Papelbon said.

Listen to the entire interview with Jonathan Papelbon:

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More from Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Team
Comments

1. Kraken says:

Papel-bozo is a nut case. Philly just acquired another loser!

1. SparkyII says:

He’s a cheapshop creep, but not a losser

2. Kurt Smith says:

Man, I don’t know. If he thinks Boston fans are tough, wait until he blows a few saves in Citizens Bank Park.

3. J. Skudlarek says:

Again, we have here a deliberately imflammatory headline which either wildly exaggerates what someone said and/or attempts to fabricate a controversy where one does not exist.

Papelbon is NOT “dissing” Red Sox fans. He clearly states that the Phillies fans are more knowledgeable than Red Sox fans because National League baseball involves slightly more strategy than is seen in the American League. No doubt, he is referring to the “no DH in the NL” situation (e.g. – “double switches, etc.).

Apparently, that’s the only statement Papelbon made on that topic. How is that “dissing” BRS fans? I root for that very same team, and I wasn’t insulted by his statement. I don’t necessarily agree with the substance of what he said, but who knows, he might have a valid point.

Why are the editors of BR trying to manipulate the reactions of their readers?

Some people are only going to read an inaccurate headline like this (without reading the underlying text), and as a result, many of them will think (now and forever) “Yeah, Papelbon . . . you know, I REALLY don’t like the way he dissed us after he signed with Philly”.

This is a prime example of dishonest journalism.

4. Fernando says:

Pap is talking now,because he think he is in a better tean now,but is the same sh—-t,,Philly like boston are not going to win in the next 30 years..

5. Jon says:

Boggs, damon, clemens, pedro, ruth, the listbgoes on of formervgreatbyankees whomjumped at the chance to be yankees, now name 1 great yankee whonhas ever become a red sox…that alone speaks volumes about the sox and their fanbase lol

6. marilyn says:

Who will take Pap’s place? Pitching last year basically sucked and without Pap its looking grim for this year too…YIKES

7. Brooks says:

In the first place, Angelo Cataldi is an idiot. He will be the first in line when (sorry, if) Paps struggles to throw insults and other garbage his way.
    Philly fans are loyal, when the team is winning.
    Once the struggles start, the sellouts will cease.

8. Dave says:

How can Papelgone know anything about the Philly fans since he hasn’t played there yet. He really is a hick.

9. Kevin Macomber says:

I have no animosity to the Phillies as they are a great team. I feel badly that they paid so much for this arrogant guy who chokes on the key games. His ego can’t let him get passed the fact that the team and fans had had enough of him . . he is now burning bridges. That is pretty unprofessional.

10. Joe says:

Even if someone did throw a prosthetic leg in the bullpen that is one person not all Red Sox fans. And as far as loyalty goes, I think that is a code word for more money.

11. Manhattanbeach says:

Pap proves once again that he is paid for his arm, not his brain.

12. witchrunner says:

Just wondering about Pap. Is he saying he doesn’t know the game so well because he’s only played in the AL? Maybe he is saying that having a bunch of fanatical fans who treat it like a religion isn’t good, so he wants only people who sit there quietly and act “intellectual?”

In reality, I think he was just kissing up to his new home town fans. No harm really meant, just kinda what you are supposed to say, as in “glad I’m here!”

13. mike says:

Surprise surprise! Im not a Red Sox Fan, but I always thought he was a classless piece of trash! Too bad talent is wasted on a loser like him.

14. silence dogood says:

I have “googled” the ‘LEG’ incident — it never happened.

1. Esteban Corderon says:

Just because it’s not on google does not mean it did not happen. Was it ever reported in the first place? I’m sure people yelled certain slurs at him and those won’t be found on Google. What I had for breakfast this morning will not be found on Google.

1. silence dogood says:

This press in Boston is sll over the Sox. It would have been reported. It can not be found in the archieves of The Boston Globe or the Boston Herald (or google). Slurs at who?

15. Dennis says:

What do you expect from a hick like him with comment like that good ridden Papelbon hope you fall on your face at philly those fans are unforgiven when it come to unpreforming you’ll see your turn will change fast. and i love to hear what you’ll say about them after they fine out your a bum yes a bum.

1. CM says:

unforgiving? dead wrong.

16. Whyyawannakno says:

Why does anyone care what Pap says? The fact that he said this after leaving Boston says way more about him than it will ever say about a red Sox fan or any baseball fan. Maybe the reason Sox fans gave him a hard time was because the Sox have the highest ticket prices in baseball. Although that could be more evidence we aren’t too smart in Boston because we keep shelling out the money to sit in litle seats with nitwits constatly getting up and down in front of you.

17. PJ says:

Papelbon has seen his best years. We Red Sox fans are glad to be rid of him. I’m tired of cringing in the ninth when he comes in to blow the save. We don’t call him Papel-blown for nothing.

18. Hank says:

I’ve had a guy take of his prosthetic leg and throw it in the bullpen in Boston,” ——–I’m no journalist,but I believe Papelbon meant “take off”. Do you guys have editors?

19. billbuckner says:

red sox fans like to brag about thir sellout streak, but if yankee stadium only held 36,000, theyd have a sekkout streak dating back to 1996….the sox couldnt sellout tiny fenway before 2003, dedicated fans huh? once they got good in 03 and almost made the world series, the sellout streak began…ask any REAL long time pats or red sox fans, and theyll tell ya the bulk of their fans arrived after titles were finally deleivered..cards fans show win or lose and arent drunken foul mouthed messes at games…im sure paps is just speaking from years of experience dealing with sox fans, so id say he knows what hes saying

1. rocko says:

I remember ALOT of empty seats at yankee stadium when things weren’t going well in the Bronx.

1. butkuslg says:

Again, Yankee Stadium hold 56,000 plus seats. Fenway 36,000+.
        thus sure you will see empty seats at Yankee Stadium.
        That is what ‘billbuckner’ meant ‘if Yankee Stadium ONLY held 36000+ they would have sold out a lot longer than Fenway.
        Come on Rocko… With a dumb comment like that, I think ‘Rocko’ has Rocks in his Head.
        Oh well Typical Red sox fan!!!

20. jon says:

only red sox fans think they are considered some of the best in baseball, msot people just lump you in with yankee fans now, loud arrogant and stupid..no one considers red sox fans some of the best in baseball, listen to what a lot of your former players have said about you and the organization

21. Umad? says:

A lot of butthurt Redsox fans here. Not that the pain is anything new for men from Boston.

22. redsoxfan2112 says:

Papelbon can’t say that Phillies fans,are more knowledgeable about the game of baseball than Red Sox fans. I think Sox fans, and Cardinal fans are probably the best as far as that goes. And wait until he blows a couple saves. Philadelphia sports fans, these are the people that booed Santa Claus. They booed Mike Schmidt, and they will boo Pap too.

1. philliesfan2112 says:

he just did

2. Slide says:

Why do you people keep bringing up things that happened in the past? I’m a Phillies fan and I’m not rude or arrogant.

23. ElGuapo says:

Yeah, Paps. In Boston, we throw prosthetic legs. In Philly, they throw up on kids. Adios, amigo.

1. Slide says:

Really? All Phillies fans do that? Are you intentionally trying to offend people from Philadelphia? That’s a really ignorant thing to say. That was one individual. You’re going to have incidents at every venue, in every city, for every sport. It says nothing about that fanbase as a whole. Look at the unfortunate event that took place at the Dodgers ballpark where that man was attacked. Does that mean all Dodgers fans are like that? No, it does not. You are all my brothers and sisters. Why do you have to make sports a means to divide us?

1. Joe says:

As a Red Sox fan I agree with you.

24. Ryan says:

Papelbon is right. Philly fans were smarter to stay home when their team sucked up until 4 years ago. Boston fans would never do something so smart as that.

25. dotguy says:

Pap doesn’t know the rules of baseball….how could he tell ? His fastball clocks higher than his IQ

26. critter says:

Sorry pap but you don’t speak for the fans of red sox and most baseball fans don’t know the rules of baseball so don’t start with me.

1. saucY says:

you hear that Pap! don’t start with critter! or he’ll get mad at you on the internet!!!

2. Rick says:

EASY CRITTER. You don’t want to scare Papelbon TOO much!

1. SDABOB says:

Wait till his wife gets beer thrown at his kids get swore at so they are afraid to go to the game

Comments are closed.