NOW LIVE: Eyewitness News

Taylor Swift Turns New Jersey Teen’s Prom Date Proposal Into Red Carpet Invite

By Anne-Marie Green

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A New Jersey high school student undergoing treatment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia who was hoping to take a pop star to his senior prom wasn’t able to land his dream date, but did land a dream invite.

Eighteen-year-old Kevin McGuire is a senior year at Sterling High School. McGuire was concerned his cancer treatment and loss of hair would prevent him from landing a date to the prom.

After talking it over with his sister, he decided he’d reach for the stars, literally, and ask Berks County native Taylor Swift to go with him.

Kevin’s sister, Victoria, created a Facebook page for Kevin to help get the word out about his prom date idea.

The page, “Taylor Swift Please Take Kevin McGuire To Prom,” became an overnight sensation and in no time, Kevin had tens of thousands of supporters.

Friday, Taylor responded to Kevin’s request on her Facebook page and said, “Kevin, I’m so sorry but I won’t be able to make it to your prom. But I was wondering, the ACM Awards are coming up.. Would you be my date? Love, Taylor”.

Eyewitness News was with Kevin when he read the post, which was greeted by loud cheers and clapping.

“I don’t know what else to say,” said an ecstatic Kevin. “I was just trying not to throw up.”

taylor swift fb Taylor Swift Turns New Jersey Teens Prom Date Proposal Into Red Carpet InviteAlthough Taylor can’t make it to his June 1st prom, which also happens to be his birthday, it looks like the April 1st Academy of Country Music Awards just might make his let down totally worth it.

Now, the question is, will Kevin go to the ACM’s in Las Vegas?

In a response on Twitter sent to @CBSPhilly and @TaylorSwift13 it sounds like Kevin is going to say yes, as long as he is healthy enough to leave Children’s Hospital.

“I have cancer. Cancer doesn’t have me.” McGuire said. “Taylor, I would love to go with you.”

The 2012 Academy of Country Music Awards will be held in Las Vegas on April 1st and airs on CBS.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Maria Fiorello says:

This is just so wonderful.. Taylor way to go and Kevin you’ve got the right attitude, cancer is just a word and positive wins the race.. Have a beautiful time.. Maria @BeatCancer.org

2. Kyle Graden says:

My friends and I have organized the Taylor Swift World Changers where we have set out to complete 13 huge projects for people like Kevin all over the world in hopes that Taylor will hear our story and pick our 13th project!! We have a passion for serving and 6 projects in we have already met so many amazing people and heard so many amazing stories. Kevin’s story has inspired us so much and we’re actively working to develop a fundraiser for the McGuire family! Follow our journey and help us along by searching Taylor Swift World Changers on Facebook. Thank you!

3. Kelly says:

There is an instant spark – they fall hopeless in love, he beats cancer and the two marry and live happily ever after… Wouldn’t it be nice for love to triumph for once?

4. Mary Jane Hurley Brant says:

Ken McGuire, Taylor Swift, Victoria McGuire and her friends have given cool a whole new presence.

5. Dee says:

God Bless you Taylor!!! An amazing act of kindness to a young person.

6. Michele says:

It is so sweet that Taylor Swift cares that much about her fans. Country music artists are a very classy group of people. I am happy for this young man. I do hope he is well enough to attend the awards show. Way to go Taylor!!!!!!!!!

1. Vicky Winterrowd says:

you know even though Taylor Swifft is a younger Couinrty Singer I have a grandson that is ill and to see this young man experience such a wonderful experience God Bless you and Taylor Swift…..God Bless you also….

Comments are closed.