Committee Meets To Discuss Neglect Of Mount Moriah Cemetery

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A Pennsylvania house Democratic policy committee was in Philadelphia yesterday to hear testimony on who is responsible and what can be done to rebuild a historic cemetery now closed to visitors due to neglect.

After the session concluded, there were more questions than answers.

Mount Mariah cemetery, established in 1855, is nearly 400 acres and is located in southwest Philadelphia and in Yeadon, Delaware County. A large portion is overgrown with vegetation and  littered with debris.

Yeadon borough’s director of code enforcement Steve Travers was among those who testified.

“Both the borough and the city have filed numerous citations with the courts for property maintenance violations. The biggest hurdle we had is who to site.”

The last board member of the non-profit association that ran the cemetery died in 2004 and his widow denied any affiliation, even though she received pension checks.

So with no owner, who is responsible and what can be done to reopen the cemetery? Questions that many at the public hearing as well as those wo have loved ones buried in the cemetery would like to have answered.

“My grandmother is in there, my grand daughter and I have eight empty plots. You know, it’s just not right.”

Two Phildlephia mayors and thousands militray veterans are also burried at Mount Moriah.

Reported by John McDevitt, KYW Newsradio

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More from John McDevitt
Comments

1. MountMoriah.info says:

In addition to the questions raised by this meeting, I had several questions.

I posted the first announcement about this meeting was posted on the Mount Moriah Cemetery website and on Facebook on August 27.

Why wasn’t this information provided – earlier on – by the parties involved?
    How were the speakers’ selected? There was no public request for this.

Questions sent to the Friends of Mount Moriah about this meeting went unanswered.

My post on the Friends of Mount Moriah Cemetery Facebook page regarding this meeting were removed.

I have been advocating for the city & state to get involved and do something with this cemetery for over twenty years. There is a lot of lip service being pad to the cleanup efforts underway, but this does not address the long term concerns about what is going to happen to the cemetery, those with loved ones buried there, and those who hold plots and can no longer be buried there.

1. N.Biddle says:

I live in the area and saw the meeting posted in different places. I contacted R Walters office and was asked if I had any desire to testify, but I declined. I am a facebook user and it is not unusual to see posting vanish, even on my own page! Did you contact R Waters office when you became aware on the 27th. and did younot ask to testify? The issues are complex and many and these are good first steps. Kudos for your intrest but these new devolpments makes the future of the Cemetery look brighter than it has in years.

1. Haunt Mount Moriah says:

The amazing thing about your statement N. Biddle, is that you mention posts disappearing… Which ironically, mine disappeared following yours, in reply of this very comment!! I’m unsure of why.
        I would love to ask any readers out there who may have read my previous-yet now deleted-posting…. Did I say anything that would have made you think that my post should be deleted or reported for any reason?
        I feel as though my Constitutional rights have been infringed upon here!
        Why was my posting deleted??
        Why would my words, opinions or thoughts, mean less then anyone else’s?
        This is America isn’t it?
        My posting was not racial, offensive, perverted or assaulting in any way!
        Why would someone feel so threatened by me to have to censor me?
        First RootsWebs now CBS!
        All I ever wanted was to help people find their loved one’s and make Mount Moriah a better place for us all.

2. MatildaP says:

Why wasn’t the hearting publicised? I certainly would have attended. I filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Real Estate Commission months ago and was informed through a form e-letter that I probably wouldn’t hear from them UNTIL THE ISSUE IS SETTLED. At This rate, will that be ten years from now?
    It’s not just a situation that affects visitors to the cemetery. There are many of us with PAID-FOR LOTS AT MOUN T MORIAH. WE’RE TOLD THAT SHOULD WE DIE WE WILL BE REFUSED BURIAL THERE WITH OUR FAIMILIES AND RELATIVES WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE US. the COURTS NEED TO MOVE FORWARD NOW. MT.. MORIAH OUGHT TO BE UNDER RECEIVERSHIP NOW — NOT FIVE YEARS FROM NOW!

3. CrackedBell says:

a historic – an historic
    Mariah – Moriah
    site – cite
    grand daughter -granddaughter
    Phildlephia – Philadelphia
    militray – military

1. Barb says:

So right, “CrackedBell”; in this era of spell checks and grammar checks within programs, one would think this would not be an issue for a ‘professional’ organization such as CBS. Tsk, tsk! I have to teach undergrad collegiates how to write correctly. Is it too much to ask that professionals should set better examples for the next generation?

4. TMH says:

Typos cause a perfectly legitimate article to lose credibility.

Comments are closed.