NOW LIVE: Eyewitness News

3 On Your Side: Flood Insurance FYI

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The flash floods that hit our area this weekend have some residents bailing out and when all is said and done, they’ll be looking to their insurance companies for help if repairs need to be made. 3 On Your Side Consumer Reporter Jim Donovan tells us who is covered when a flood strikes, and what you can do to protect your home.

It is often after we’ve experienced large amounts of rain and flooding occurs that most people find that their biggest investment – their home – isn’t insured the way they expected.

Flood insurance is something few people ever think about until nearby water begins to rise. Traditional home insurance polices don’t cover flooding — only water damage claims due to things like a burst pipe or if your roof blows off and rain comes in. That is with one exception, if you’ve paid for additional sewer-back-up coverage, to protect if water or sewage backs up through your sewer pipes.

Flood insurance is the only type of coverage to protect against rising waters. It’s purchased through your insurance agent, but the policy is provided by the federal flood insurance plan.

Here are some things you should know:

– You can get the replacement cost for the structure of your home, but only the current cash value of your possessions.

– Flood insurance is also available to renters.

– No matter who purchases it, there is a 30 day waiting period before the coverage takes effect.

If you have wind damage on your house, some missing shingles, or a broken window or two, your home owners policy will cover it. But you may want to think twice about filing a claim. Your home insurance policy should just be used for catastrophic repairs, such as if the entire roof blew off. Otherwise once you factor in your deductible, you may not really come out ahead, and your rates will most likely go up after filing a claim.


Reported By Jim Donovan, CBS 3

More from Jim Donovan

One Comment

  1. Jim Donovan says:

    KJ is correct. My story was geared to existing homeowners that were interested in adding this coverage but the report didn’t take into account new home buyers or those who refinance. In most cases there is a 30-day waiting period but here are the only exceptions:

    •If your lender requires flood insurance in connection with the making, increasing, extending, or renewing of your loan.
    •If an additional amount of insurance is required as a result of a map revision.
    •If flood insurance is required as a result of a lender determining that a loan that does not have flood insurance coverage should be protected by flood insurance.
    •If an additional amount of insurance is being obtained in connection with the renewal of a policy.

    Thanks for commenting KJ!

  2. KJ says:

    There is no 30 day wait for people who are refinancing, or for a new settlement on a property.

Comments are closed.

More From CBS Philly

Getaway Guide: Best Of The Jersey Cape Clams

Watch & Listen LIVE