Navy SEAL From Philadelphia Killed In Helicopter Crash In Afghanistan

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Michael Strange never worried when he was deployed to warzones overseas, but his family worried for him. Saturday morning, they got the news they dreaded.

Petty Officer First Class Michael Strange died serving his country. Strange was one of 31 U.S. special operations troops who died when insurgents struck their helicopter in the Wardak province of Afghanistan late Friday. His family says it is still hard to believe. They find comfort in memory.

“He was intense, he was funny, he had that dry humor,” said his father, Charles Strange.

The 25-year-old graduated from North Catholic High School in 2004 and set out on the military career of his dreams. He was going to be a Navy Seal.

Watch the video…

“He graduated in June and in August, he went up to the Navy,” said his father, “and he went right up the ladder.”

Strange loved being in the service and especially in the SEALs. He took pride in his work, and his family took pride in him. He was six years into his service. His family says he was on his third tour in Afghanistan.

He was home in June for his birthday and promised to be back for Thanksgiving, a promise his family prayed he could keep.

“He loved his family, his sister. He just became an uncle,” Charles Strange said, fighting back tears.

Neighbors along the family’s street flew their American flags, a tribute to a young man who gave his life to helping others.

Charles Strange says his son volunteered for the rescue mission that took his life. He was a hero to the very end.

Reported by Oren Liebermann, CBS 3

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. von williams says:

Iam so sad abingouth all this these men over there working and protecting us from all harm putting there lives in harm way for us my lover and best friend is there as well i pray that they all will return home safely.

2. Adam says:

MICHAEL STRANGE WAS NOT A NAVY SEAL. HE WAS AN ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN THAT SUPPORTED SEAL ASSAULTERS AT NSWDG.

MIKE WAS AWESOME AT HIS JOB, AND PROVIDED AN ESSENTIAL CAPABILITY TO THE TEAM. HIS SACRIFICE WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

MIKE WOULD HAVE WANTED THIS INFORMATION TO BE CORRECTED,

3. William Furness says:

RIP to a fellow Service member, Hero, and North Catholic Grad. My thought are with you and your family.
    Semper Fi!

4. eliz alaga says:

Sending our prayers to all the families and the Seal brothers and Rangers They all exhibit the perfect Act of Love and Bravery and Honor ” Leave no man behind ” God comfort your family and brother Lets us give them honor by being the best we can be in our dailly lives and work together for our Nation They gave ultimate sacrifice Let us be strong and Unite in our Daily LIves We owe our military so must Thank you

5. NancyP says:

RIP Michael and all your brave comrades. My husband had the privilege of working with you at a previous assignment. You will all be missed. I hope the messages of tribute to Michael and his fellow SEAL team members (and the brave men from other branches of the armed forces who also lost their lives) will be a small consolation to all the grieving families. We military folks feel every loss, every single one. No one is forgotten. We will honor Michael’s memory and pass on the stories of his commitment to the USA and the Navy.

6. michael jasionis says:

thank you my brother in arms.

7. Linda Sterling says:

R.I. P. My Brother in Arms.

Linda Sterling
    SSG, USA
    Fort Benning, GA.

8. Deb says:

I am so incredibly sad.

9. Bev says:

My heart goes out to his family, and they are in my prayers. How terrible to lose a son/friend/brother/etc. – God be with the loved ones of this man. These men fighting for our country are heros, and what a shame to lose lives in this horrific war of evil in the middle east. Please God let this end.

10. reddy says:

an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. it is unfortunate that the young men are being sacrificed for the mistakes of the foolish politicians.

11. Pamela Bunting Lewis says:

Another loss. And we are all so sorry to hear this news. My condolences to the families of those serving this nation. God Bless! Pamela Bunting Lewis August 8, 2011

12. OOORAH ! says:

Petty Officer Strange and family, thank you for your service to this country. May you find peace in all of this, knowing he was performing a task that he excelled at and was well trained to do.
    Proudly Signed,

HMCS (NAC/FMF M. Goodwin USN (ret)

1. ??? says:

What does all of those letters mean a what does this have to do with the article ?

1. Donald Jackson says:

HMCS – Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (medic)
        NAC – Naval Aircrewman
        FMF – Fleet Marine Force
        USN – United States Navy

If you’re associated with the Navy or Marines, you know what the letters mean.

2. ET1(SS) M. Frey USN (ret) says:

The letters mean he’s a retired U.S. Navy Hospital Corpsman (medic) who served with US Marines in the field and as such was a brother-in-arms to Petty Officer Strange.

RIP Petty Officer Strange, and to his family and friends, may you find comfort in your memories of him.

3. Mike says:

Go to your local Veterans Cemetery early in the morning(for solitude) and read the headstones. Maybe take a child with you and teach them…

Former SOMED

4. Vito A. says:

I am just devastated. Mike was such a great guy. I had the privilege and honor of calling him a friend and he will be missed. As hard as it will be I would very much like to pay respects. If the funeral will be open to friends, please email me with the viewing time and location. Semper Fortis Mike. The world is a much dimmer place without you.

13. Carol says:

Feel so proud that your loving hearts raised a good man who did the right things in his short life. He is a hero.

14. Dane says:

Hero!!!!!!!

15. crisis1290 says:

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
    George S. Patton

16. Francis Graff says:

When you are in bed tonight my fellow americans, make sure you run through your mind and include in your prayer’s, those who don’t pull the cover over themselves, but who make sure you can. Geez, I love those kids.

1. jessica elizalde says:

thank you. its tough work. you are a true american in my eyes.

17. Tom says:

Thanks for your service and sacrifice for America. May you rest in peace with the Lord.

18. Brandi says:

I think the way u made ur comment is very rude and yes everyone has there opinion, but he did not sign up to loose his life. He was trying to do the right thing and help his country and bring other ppl. home. So maybe u should take his families feelings unto consideration and how it must to loose someone u love.

19. DEAR KERRI says:

ANY MILITARY MAN WHO BECOMES A POLITICIAN KNOWS MORE THAN ANY OTHER THE EFFECTS OF WAR. YOUR DIRECT COMMENT WAS DEAD ON
    HIS COMMENT WAS FROM WHAT HE FELT ALSO. SHADES OF VIETNAM ARE
    STRONGER THAN EVER WITH US OLDER ONES WHO SERVED

SAYS HH OF OXFORD CIRCLE ( USAF 62-66)

20. jessica elizalde says:

mike. you will be missed. i havent talk to you in a long time and i am so glad you followed your dream of becoming a SEAL. you were such an amazing person and i am lucky to have known you. you will be missed terribly. to his family, you were great parent, raised a wonderful man. my thoughts are prayers are with you.

21. Kerri Simon says:

Michael,
    Word’s can not express how grateful I am for the brave men and women like yourself. You walk into danger when most people would run. You make us American’s so proud to say that we are American’s.

You were a hero and died a Hero , not to many people can say that. I know you made your family proud. you also made your country proud! Your name will never be forgotten and may your spirit live on….

And to Michael’s family I just wanted to say that it takes special parent’s to raise such a fine young man that would lay his life on the line for other’s. Thank you for you son. He will be remembered as a Hero…

22. Gene says:

GRATITUDE, How do you thank those who most bear the burden of the ultimate sacrifice? You honor us with your bravery.
    Gene Hatboro ,PA

23. CJ Dignam says:

The pain I feel in my heart for all of our servicewomen and men who have given their lives for our country is enough for a hundred life times ,multiply that by millions for the others that feel the same pain as I do.That is more pain than this world should ever know.When will it stop? When will we bring our children home to their loved ones.I know it’s necessary,but I still pray it will end very soon.

24. Zzbar says:

“Charles Strange says his son volunteered for the rescue mission that took his life.”
    He volunteered for the mission, He did volunteer to have his life taken away by sc*m in this useless war. (Vietnam Vet).

1. Kerri Simon says:

Zzbar, Have some compassion.. Nobody volunteer’s to have their life taken away… I personally could have never done what Michael and alot of other men and woman do on a daily basis for our country! They are the real hero’s.

And nobody makes you sign up.. You have a choice.. If you do not believe in something that’s your right as an Amercian. But to say something like that to a family that just lost their son is heartless. I hope you never have to go through a loss like that.

2. Tim Paone says:

@ zzbar. There is a time and place for political opinions, and this isn’t one of them. You should know better. He was a great man willing to help anyone and fight for the soldiers around him. I knew him personally and I’m sick to my stomach reading that a supposed vet would say such a thing. Remember your oath.

25. Scot Dence says:

Your Son, Brother Uncle Died a Hero to all true Americans. His memory will not be forgotten.

26. Mike says:

John 15:13
    “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”

1. Kira says:

Amen – and may God Bless and me with this young man’s family and friends.

1. Kira says:

“and me with” is a typo

27. Donna Kesling says:

May the soul of this hero RIP, Michael you did your country proud, We all thank you and want you to know you were one of the best. My heart goes out to his family, I am so sorry for the loss of your precious son, Michael, the hero. I will keep you in my prayers. I know what you are going through and I can feel your pain. I lost a son 14 yrs. ago. My husband and two sons graduated from NC. You can be so proud of your son and what he represented. You raised a fine young man.

28. HH OF OXFORD CIRCLE SAYS says:

HAVING VOLUNTEERED FOR VIETNAM IN 65, I FEEL ESPECIALLY SAD FOR HIS
    FAMILY. I WAS SINGLE AT THE TIME. HAVING FAMILY ONLY MAKES THIS OUTCOME WORSE, HIS PARENTS AND LOVED ONES DESERVE PRAYERS FROM
    THE LOCAL COMMUNITY.