Transit Police In Philadelphia Suburbs On Alert For Catalytic Converter Thefts

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (CBS) – A recent rash of catalytic converter thefts from automobiles in the Philadelphia suburbs has SEPTA transit police working closely with local police departments to keep a close eye on Regional Rail line parking lots.

SEPTA spokesman Andrew Busch says visible patrols are being increased:

“We feel like we’re doing what we can to try to bump up our presence and let these people who are doing this know that we’re aware of it, and if you go out to a station and you do this, there might be an officer there waiting and you might get arrested.”

Police say the thefts seem to coincide with a bad economy.

Each catalytic converter can bring up to $100 from a scrap dealer because of the small amounts of precious metals inside that can then be resold in some cases for thousands of dollars an ounce.

Reported by Brad Segall, KYW Newsradio 1060

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More from Brad Segall
Comments

1. bob says:

How about a security camera? IIt is the 21st century.

2. Guess Who says:

“The recent arrest of a Bridgeport (Montgomery County) man for allegedly cutting off converters from cars at train station parking lots in Norristown has again heightened awareness of the thefts.”

Link please?

3. grumpy says:

We need a good “looter shooter law”!

4. Zzbar says:

“there might be an officer there waiting and you [might] get arrested.” Whats with the “might” get arrested. Hey clowns, keep on cutting because you “might not” get arrested.

5. Jonathan says:

This is happening in Memphis, too.

6. Anonymous says:

Their presence is really heavy at the Chester Transportation Center also. I parked my vehicle there this morning and I was impressed …. AND surprised. I did notice that they also cleaned up that little park area where the homeless people usually set up house on the benches. AND Chester City Workers were hosing down the benches and cleaning the area. I felt really good with leaving my vehicle this morning. For the past few weeks, I’ve been parking in Eddystone, which is so out of my way.

7. Heather says:

I did notice more SEPTA cops in the parking lots at the regional rail stations, actually. I was wondering if they were looking for someone. Huh.

Comments are closed.