NOW LIVE: Eyewitness News

Exclusive: 10-Weeks Pregnant, Delaware County Woman Breaks Attacker’s Leg

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Ten weeks pregnant, Lindsay O’Brien says she never thought twice about racing out of her Market Frankford El Train car at the 63rd St. Station last Wednesday when an alleged thief tried to steal her purse.

In an exclusive interview with Eyewitness News, the 28-year-old expectant mom from Delaware County says she chased Vaughn Matthews, a career criminal with a dozen arrests going back 19 years, down a stairwell, but when she tried to get her bag from him, he lashed out, breaking her wrist and punching her in the stomach.

Watch The Video …

That’s when O’Brien says she drew on her 3.5 years of kick-box training, leveling a kick at the suspect’s shin, shattering it in two places.

Officers say they found Matthews, screaming in pain, lying on the street.

O’Brien says after being checked out at the hospital, her baby is fine, and she is looking forward to testifying against Matthews when her case comes to court.

She wants to thank Philadelphia detectives, along with uniformed officers, and SEPTA police, who she says were there “within seconds” to help her.

Reported by Walt Hunter, CBS 3

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. pablo escobar says:

I went to school with mr mathews and i’m surprised at this story

2. R. May says:

The reason most criminals do what they do, is because of people like Ms. V.Gaines. We can die from anything, being struck by a car, a heart attack or even being hit by a skate boarder….don’t let criminals get away with your property or anything else. I too live in Washington DC and I’m black, I say my race because I go into black high crime neighborhoods daily and am approached on a constant basis by criminals……thugs and the likes….I won’t give them anything and I will resist each and every time.

3. U know me says:

Please people she id a career criminal herself she should know how to fight.off a thief. She is in trouble her self for things she has done and stolen. For all you delco people that know lindsey know what im talking about. Second if you look into this deeper I am sure there is more to the story. Like the saying its takes one to know one right.

4. HooDatIS? says:

she is one bad mama jammma
    gone girl
    he got knocked the flip out stupid idot

5. Tamala Marks says:

OOPs, I misspelled Pennsylvania! there Sorry for the typo

6. young father says:

God bless this young lady.

7. Frank Parnell says:

Well done Ms. O’Brien!!! The thief should also be charged for attempted murder of your unborn child. I live in DC and I wish we had more folks like you!

8. ECR says:

This woman is my new hero. What a pathetic piece of human waste, trying to rob a pregnant woman! I am sure when he goes away and the other prisoners find out how he got his ass kicked by his “victim”, I hope they will provide him with the true justice he deserves.

9. Anonymous says:

@ guess who: You’re probably married to one.

10. Anonymous says:

Law enforcement of ANY kind had NOTHING to do with this. Lindsay did it all herself. I’m also glad that she and her baby are both doing fine. Again, YOU GO GIRL!!

11. kickingandscreaming says:

Totally impressed with her skill and bravery, that is one kick ass woman!

12. solid citizen says:

Nice Job Ms. O’Brien … Hope the baby is healthy and happy 6 months from now

It might be a while before “wealth redistributionist” Mr. Matthews can “stand” trial

When seconds count , the police are minutes away

Quo warranto, B.O.?

13. Charlie says:

LOL. Nicely done!

14. Julius May says:

Great story.

15. Zzbar says:

Should have broke his bbaaaalls.

16. Annemarie says:

WTG Lindsay!!!! Glad your baby is fine!!!! I hope he suffers for a very long time!!!!!

17. vanessa gaines says:

excellent job but count your lucky stars this man did’nt have a weapon because you could have been killed…………………………….. a purse along with its contents can be replaced but a life cannot…………………………………………

18. Anonymous says:

You go girl!! I’m a red stripe in Tae Kwon Do myself. I hope you cut his career short.

1. Tamala Marks says:

I hope the State Of Pennsylvinia does not have to pay his medical bills. You go Girl. Can’t wait until the reporters tell us you had a happy healthy baby girl/boy. You deserve a medal. Let’s hope he doesn’t get a slimy lawyer and try to sue you.

Comments are closed.