Judge Temporarily Halts Philadelphia School District Layoff Plan

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A Philadelphia Common Pleas Court judge Monday granted a temporary restraining order against the School District of Philadelphia, putting a halt for now the school district’s plan to lay off 1,500 teachers.

Philadelphia Schools Superintendent Arlene Ackerman confirmed on Monday that the district was sending out layoff notices to 3,024 employees, including the teachers. She said teachers at the district’s worst-performing schools (dubbed “promise academies” by the district) would not be subject to the layoffs because she wanted to minimize disruptions at those failing schools.

The Philadelphia Federation of Teachers went to court on Monday afternoon, asking for a temporary restraining order to prevent the school district from moving forward with the layoffs, which the union says must done according to seniority — including “promise academy” teachers — according to its collective bargaining agreement.

Common Pleas judge Idee Fox issued the TRO and scheduled a hearing on the matter for June 14th, forcing the school district to rescind the layoff notices for the time being.

Earlier in the day, seeking to smooth out an apparent rift with Mayor Michael Nutter, Ackerman said she would provide the mayor with whatever documentation is needed to get millions in new funding from the city.

“We’re going to be accountable for whatever resources that we get,” Ackerman told reporters after an event at the National Constitution Center on Monday. “We have no trouble; I have no trouble with accountability and transparency.”

Late Sunday night, Mayor Nutter sent a nine-page letter to members of the School Reform Commission demanding that Dr. Ackerman turn over a “complete and detailed accounting” of the district’s funds. The district has come under fire in recent months for proposing to cut valued programs like all-day kindergarten and school busing to help close a $629 million budget gap.

“We, the city, need to have a much better understanding of the district’s financial picture, how they make operational decisions,” the mayor said today. “In order for us to be better partners with the district, to be able to explain publicly what is going on inside, we need more information.”

Two weeks ago, district officials asked the city for $75 million to $110 million to help save kindergarten and busing, along with accelerated high schools and preserving smaller class sizes.

Last week, the mayor proposed increasing parking meter rates, and either enacting a new tax on soda or increasing property taxes by 10 percent to raise the money.

Several City Council members, however, expressed concern last week that the district was not effectively managing its finances and wondered if the district was “fearmongering” by putting some of its most effective programs on the chopping block.

Then, on Friday, Ackerman announced that she had saved all-day kindergarten by shifting some funds, catching the mayor off-guard and raising new questions about how much the school district needs a significant tax increase to save key programs.

The mayor says his letter was not in response to that announcement but it does reference it:

“With last Friday’s sudden and surprising announcement by the superintendent that full-day kindergarten will be funded from Title I dollars for the coming school year, the need for vital information is even more urgent,” the mayor wrote. “Now is the time for rapid response and a clearing of the air. We need facts and clear statements about what the District will do with any restoration of funds.”

The mayor’s letter laid out a number of scenarios to provide the school district with new funds ranging from $54 million to $206 million. He is also asking the SRC to sign an “Education Accountability Agreement,” giving the city more oversight of the financially-strapped district.

Ackerman says she and the mayor have moved beyond their differences from Friday.

Watch the video…

“We’ve talked about that, and I think that we agree that we’re going to focus on getting these funds,” she said. “The decision [to restore full-day kindergarten] happened quickly, and it was purely an educational decision. I was trying to support the thousands of parents out there who are waiting and in limbo, and I realize it may have created some political problems for the mayor. I didn’t think about that.”

Meanwhile, KYW Newsradio City Hall Bureau chief Mike Dunn reports that all of this has thrown the mayor’s plan for a soda tax to bail out the school district into disarray.

Some Council members, like Maria Quinones Sanchez, say the school district’s plan to use Title I funding for full-day kindergarten won’t wash, since those funds are earmarked for lower income students.

“Using Title I funding that is based on a poverty formula may open up a can of worms,” she said. “You may be closing one hole and opening up ten others.”

Other lawmakers, like Councilman Curtis Jones, say Council approval of a soda tax or the alternative, a property tax hike, is now less likely with the District’s action.

“It was a non-consensus to start with. This doesn’t help matters,” he told KYW Newsradio.

Councilman Bill Greenlee agrees:

“Given that their main ask was full-day kindergarten, and now they took care of kindergarten, I have to ask the question back, do we really need to raise taxes?”

A hearing on the soda tax and property tax proposals is set for Friday.

Reported by Ben Simmoneau, CBS 3; Mike DeNardo, KYW Newsradio 1060; and Mike Dunn, KYW Newsradio 1060

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Gina Maloney says:

Another charade played out in an election year. Does the Mayor and Council earnestly believe the taxpayers in this city are that under educated or is it that our city’s leadership is simply ignorant relative to tax public policy? Funding for the schools would be there without any additional assistance from the state if there weren’t so many property tax-exemptions. Abatements, KOZs, etc. may have been spurred some disproportional growth for a time. Yet, it did nothing to address what was than and is now issues relative to the schools. Let’s get real. Philadelphia’s current issue relative to school funding, cloaked in funding not received from the Sate clothes, is belied by the city’s own property tax policy.

2. kate says:

it’s sad when the child doesn’t care or understand what the teacher is doing in front of the classroom
    it’s sad when the parent doesn’t followup with the teacher or ask the child on a daily basis what happened in school.
    it’s sad when the teacher gives up
    it’s sad when a city that is broke continues to dish out the perks to the higher ups and forgets where the money is coming from to start
    it’s sad when the citizens of the city who have paid their taxes ask themselves what for nothing to show for it
    it’s sad when the citizens of the city who have not paid their taxes point fingers at who is to blame
    it’s sad when a nation of hard working individuals give up because it is just not worth it anymore
    what has this city, state and nation come to–

3. Sam Roberts says:

Stop that deseg busing ! That will save some $$

4. Proud Philly Teacher says:

I can’t understand where all this hatred towards teachers is coming from. As a teacher, it’s very disheartening to read many of the comments below. I go to work every day and try my hardest to change the lives of kids who are often forgotten about. Kids who’s parents are alcoholics along side kids who’s parents work many jobs just to keep their family afloat. I go to my job every day hoping I am going to make a difference for at least one of them and then come on here and read about how others hope I lose my job.

What other profession do you hear that?? When I watch the news and hear about factory workers being laid off I don’t think “Good for them!” because all I can think about is that is a person who’s life is being turned upside down.

To all of you who are on here with nothing but negative words to say, please keep them to yourself. I’m trying hard every day to change this world for the better and unless you’re willing to give some positive advice, why say your words at all?

1. Hopefulone says:

PPT, it’s frustration and the teachers and their greedy unions are the tip of the iceberg that they see. Don’t call it hatred. Taxpayers are sick of home-schooled kids outperforming public schooled kids and lay most of the blame on those at the front of the classroom. It then does not help that those of us who have to save our own money toward retirement see gold-plated packages, being freely given by irresponsible politicians who are returning political favors to disgusting teachers’ unions, as stealing from our pockets to gild non-performers’ pockets. If teachers get vocal about waste that they see, and look at themselves when it comes to reining in the unions and the gilding, as well as point out alternatives to get the problem families the scrutiny that they deserve–so that you don’t have to deal with trash parents who are coddled by the government instead of “dis-incentivized” by it–then society will prosper and you will have better classrooms (with a more modest retirement package, but you can add to that with your own responsible planning and actions so that you are in it with the rest of us). If you can’t accept scrutiny of your bene’s then help us see the administrative overhead, and where there is opportunity to cut non-classroom expenses.
      One more thing. Shame on the parents who push for all-day Kindergarten. You don’t have these precious souls for very long, and their childhoods are being shortened in so many ways, so why would you want them introduced to school as drudgery and stress? At least leave them wanting more of school. At best leave them with fond memories of kindergarten. You should be jealous of the school having your child’s time, not grateful that you can dump them there to be bored and frustrated with a long day away from loving family and a peaceful sanctuary. Peaceful, content, loved children with parents who listen to them and teach them are the ones who do best in school and life. Love them, not dump them.

1. PPT says:

If your words represent “the public” then I think the public has a very dissorted view about what is required for a child to succeed and learn in this world. There’s a plethora of social issues that need to be addressed before education in the inner city could ever begin to improve to the standards we want them to.
        We can work all day along with students, and even full year if necessary, but if there isn’t parent support, more often than not, our work doesn’t make as much of a difference as we would like it to. I don’t “blame” parents, because many of them are undereducated and the product of their own parents misparenting. This is where social issues come into play and those need to be addressed before what I do in the classroom makes as much as a difference as I’d like it to.
        As far as full-day kindergarten, there are many studies that show that full day kindergarten has a direct link to the number of adults in jail in inner city areas. Many of these parents want the children in full day because if not, they wouldn’t be able to work full time, therefore they won’t be able to put food on the table at the end of the day. For other children, school is the only safe place they have and they get fed twice a day. I understand what you mean with parents should want to spend this time with the kids, but unfortunately with the economy as it is, or how it has always been in these high poverty areas, full day kindergarten is the only option.

2. Michele says:

AMEN!!!!!! I was so fired up that I couldn’t sleep! I appreciate all you do for the kids, without teachers we would be lost!

3. M says:

Let me give you some insight. You may be an exception to the industry however many teachers feel they are over worked and unpaid and have it so hard. Teachers have a sense of “entitlement” and that’s what doesn’t sit well with me. Most teachers feel like they deserve free healthcare high wages for working 9 months out of the year and have the protection of tenure. Why? After the third year of teaching, it’s easy street, with the rare exception in this case of layoff. How about merit raises and no more union? Why do teachers need to hide behind the union but want to be white collar workers? In this economy where not many people are getting raises, the tax payers have to foot the bill for the bloated salaries, free healthcare and mandatory raises. Unfortunately the whole industry is judged by the bad apples, not the good ones.

1. PPT says:

I’m not the exception. I may not believe that I’m “overworked” but I do believe I’m underpaid. Until you are a teacher, I don’t believe anyone really understands how difficult the work is, especially in the inner city.
        I don’t feel I deserve free health care anymore than anyon else does. I believe the whole nation deserves free health care, but that’s a whole different political debate.
        I think a huge problem is that instead of sitting and complaining that teachers get free health care in Philly and that unions protect them to the end, why aren’t you complaining that your profession doesn’t get those things??
        I also get very annoyed with the idea that teachers get three months off. I am working in my regular school till the end of June. I work the full month of July in summer school, because without that extra pay, I’d fall behind in the enormous amount of debt I already have. Am I the only one with this debt? No, but it’s frustrating nonetheless. During August, I do a whole lot of planning for the upcoming school year. Do I take some time to relax, sure. Don’t I deserve it?

I think one of the biggest problems is that education is funded through taxes. It causes two problems. One is that the public then hates supporting education because who wants higher taxes. Another is poorer areas get poorer quality of education because there’s not enough money.

2. K. Dove says:

Why don’t I complain my profession doesn’t get those things? Because I don’t believe doctors and nurses should work for free. Apparently you believe their services are of no value, as they should be “free to all”.

4. M says:

Oh, and I almost forgot…. Peopl don’t hate teachers as much as they hate Queen Arlene. What. Wasted salery. I read an article that she will mak $500,000 thus year!!!! For what, mis-managing the district. I want to know, where’s the money going?

1. ppt says:

5. Jeff says:

“whose”, not “who’s”
      “alongside”, not “along side”
      “whose”, not “who’s” (again)
      “whose”, not “who’s” (again, again)

You said “every day.” Does that include Monday through Friday during the summer?

Other professions? Politicians, Wall Street bankers and traders, CEO’s, CFO’s, professional athletes, coaches, union executives, welfare queens and kings, probably dozens of others.

Positive advice? Try working in the private sector–let us know how well you do.

1. ppt. says:

To K. Dove… Of course I don’t believe doctors and nurses should work for free. However, many other countries offer free health care to their citizens and doctors and nurses get paid very well. Obama was trying to get that done here, but as I said, that’s a whole different political debate.

Jeff, I’m not sure where in my response I said “every day,” but I’m sure I just didn’t look hard enough. My last day of regular school is June 22nd. I then have the following two days to set up for summer school and then I begin teaching summer school until the last week day of July. Of course I don’t mean literally every single day that I work, but even during the regular school year, I spend much of my weekend correcting papers and preparing for the upcoming week.

I’m sorry that you feel that teaching is a baby job and it can be done by anyone. If we have it so nicely, why don’t you do this simple job? Where would you, or any other private sector worker be if they didn’t have teachers all through their lives? I’m not saying that my job is the most important job in the world, all I am asking is be treated as a professional. I’m asking that when people hear about layoffs, they don’t cheer, as if it’s wonderful that people are losing jobs. What does that say about the type of person you are?

Positive advice is working in the private sector? I’m sorry but that’s not my cup of tea. If I have to, I would, and whether or not I was successful, I would never judge another person because of their chosen profession. I would never rejoice at their job loss.

The positive advice I was requesting involves how you get students who have a million problems before they even enter my classroom to learn and act like a good citizen by the time they leave my room. I work hard every day I HAVE THEM and hope each day I have them that I do make a difference. Sometimes it seems to me like people like you want me to fail.

5. Dan says:

Tom, learn how to spell! It’s educate. If you have a better way of educating, then go for it. But until then, shut up and you just keep flipping burgers at McDonald’s.

6. Hupsters says:

There is only one real solution and that is vouchers for private schools. Left to their own, unionized public employees are incapable of controlling themselves, have no way of seeing beyond their own noses or beyond the current contract fight.

7. Tina Ferrer says:

They’ll have their union perks until the people of Philly are paying 60-70% taxes which at this point won’t help the kind of entitlement debt Philadelphia has accrued. Looks to me that when the checks stop or they actually bounce will give administrators’ time to get outta town with neither Mayor Nutter nor Ms. Ackerman nowhere to be found. Don’t worry Philly, this will be happening all across the Nation but looks like you could be one of the first along with California to blaze that trail. How do I know? I’m a forensic accountant for the State of California. It’s going bad to worse for everyone but the public employee. Good luck Philly….

8. Frank says:

Who cares what happens in Filthadelphia. Most of the kids in the school system are black thugs who don’t care whether they learn or not. Why put good money into teaching these animals, when you will never get a return on your investment.

1. Michele says:

Frank,
      I am saddened to hear that you are such a bigot! You really should not live in an urban area. It is a shame that you feel this way about students of PHILADELPHIA! Calling the city dirty has nothing to do with the hard working school staff members and students. i am sad that you have such poor self image that you need to pick on children. Hopefully, one day you will grow up!
      Michele

2. Grandma31 says:

9. sirandrew says:

Why not kick out students when the reach sixteen that are disruptive,dangerous and show no inclination for the desire to learn, .This will free up a lot of teachers and class rooms/.

10. Bill says:

You can blame the D’s if you want but here in RED RED RED Lubbock, TX, the same thing is happening. At the beginning of the school year, teacher raises were approved by the ulta conservative politicians on the School Board; now layoffs loom as the LISD attempts to cope with a 6% reduction in state funding. Yes, the public sector unions own ALL politicians now.

1. Jason says:

Bill – if you look around this nation as a WHOLE, it is clear that liberal policies have NOT worked. Your Lubbock example is but a conservative drop in a bathtub full of liberalism.

1. Jason says:

And another thing: your totally stealing another poster’s original comment below and twisting it for your agenda is, well, how shall I say this nicely: simple minded and so typical of a liberal who can’t formulate an original thought on his own.

2. Bill says:

Well Jason, it appears to me that we have been following the Conservative policies of cut taxes on the wealthy, raise taxes on lower and middle incomes (payroll taxes now make up more of the Fed. govt’s revenue than do income taxes) for the last few decades has led us to the situation we are in now. We have just experienced the lost decade. More Americans were working in Jan. 2000 than were in Jan. 2010. We had 30 to 40 percent job growth in the 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s; now we have negative job grwoth in the 00’s. The economy started heading downward when Nixon was elected and has never reversed course. I seems to me you policies have failed this country. And I thought it was real resourceful of me to copy(Control C then Control V) the comments below; I suppose you “capitalist” would have redone it all and wasted resources as you have down everytime you are in power.

1. Tina Ferrer says:

Well Bill, why not invoke George Washington on your thesis. Are you going to blame Nixon, who i couldn’t stand, with a bounced State check? That’s where we’re at Einstein and we’ve given Obama more than two years now to produce one molecular whiff of relief for the American people. It’s getting worse Bill, you know it, I know it and the American people know it. Say, what about Zachary Taylor, he must have done something to create what we have going on here, no?

11. Dan sichel says:

Cushlamacrie. 2000 less teachers, but I’ll bet there are the same number of administrators.

12. kristy franco says:

half the kids can’t read or write anyway…..so who needs the teacher??
    Just make it one step easier for the kids to sell drugs in the schools or beat each other up….without the teachers they don’t have to spend all day trying to tell time and wait to beat each other up when lunch time rolls around.

1. Jawal says:

This is Marx on display pure and simple. In Philly, the Dem’s have had control for over 60 years. They get the money, spend the money, write the curricula, teach it and what do we get? Failure in every category. Dem’s cannot blame Republicans for this failure because conservatives are laughed off the stage in Philly and have no voice whatsoever. Test scored are in the toilet–yet lib’s rule the educational system with an iron fist and have compete control of what is taught. Failure, Failure, Failure. In Marxist states, the people who created this type of failure would be shot. One last thing: There is not one group of people on the planet like American liberals who take such pride at failing students. Yet to remedy this situation would bring such a violent protest from the community who elected these fools to office that it is a lost cause. It is time for blacks to leave the Democrat party and become independents and literally rise up and brutally punish the liberals who have failed them with so much destruction. Alas, that too is a pipe dream. America—THIS IS WHAT LIBERALS HAVE PLANNED FOR YOUR CHILDREN.

1. Bill says:

This is Marx on display pure and simple. In Lubbock, Texas, the Rep’s have had control for over 60 years. They get the money, spend the money, write the curricula, teach it and what do we get? Failure in every category. Rep’s cannot blame Democrats for this failure because liberals are laughed off the stage in Lubbock and have no voice whatsoever. Test scored are in the toilet–yet con’s rule the educational system with an iron fist and have compete control of what is taught. Failure, Failure, Failure. In Marxist states, the people who created this type of failure would be shot. One last thing: There is not one group of people on the planet like American conservatives who take such pride at failing students. Yet to remedy this situation would bring such a violent protest from the community who elected these fools to office that it is a lost cause. It is time for blacks, whites and browns to leave the Republicant party and become independents and literally rise up and brutally punish the conservatives who have failed them with so much destruction. Alas, that too is a pipe dream. America—THIS IS WHAT CONSERVATIVES HAVE PLANNED FOR YOUR CHILDREN.

2. Tinea Ferrer says:

Nailed it Jawal. Philadelphia has been under Democratic control for over half a century and yes this is what that ideology eventually creates, misery, disunity, anxiety, depression, et al., of which any American can see on their own street, town, city, state and now the country because the ideology runs out of resources. Now America has a front row seat watching the worst of this in our history in real time. The Pugs are as responsible as the Rats which is why in 2013 you’re going to see a forced exodus of RINO’s as well as a fleet of Democrats looking for work in the private sector. One thing that cannot be deferred and is unequivocal fact regardless of whose responsible and regardless of excuse and that fact is we as a Nation are broke. It’s never happened before which is why this is so hard to fathom. Well it is and we’d better face it. You can’t even put lipstick on that one.

13. NS says:

When is Queen Arlene going to be arrested for all the waste, fraud, and abuse?

1. changomango says:

She’s a fellow “African-American”, Obama will never allow it.

2. M says:

I say the city needs to hire fronsic accounts and see who’s “cooking the books”. Then Queen Arlene can be indicted.

14. AmericanFirst says:

Why address the situation at all. Shouldn’t raising taxes fix it?!? Who needs to worry about the out of control costs.

1. changomango says:

There’s no tax base in Philly. The majority of that cities population is on welfare and/or some other type of public assistance, they don’t work or are so unskilled they earn minimum wage and therefore don’t pay any federal taxes. If you impose some sort of city tax, they’d all go ape in protest.

15. george says:

Welcome to the world of Obama! You asked for it, you got it! Obama and liberalism is a total failure!

16. gliderdriver says:

Margret Thatcher,

“Socialism works fine until you run out of other peoples money”

1. Fanny Forbes Franklen says:

Actual quote:

“The problem with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money.” – Margaret Thatcher — http://911essentials.com

1. Bill says:

It seems like that is what happened to AIG, Lehman, etc. also. These “capitalist” seem to have run out of other people’s money. Under W.Bushes (“I had to throw out my free market values to save the free market”) capitalism, the taxpayers then bail out the “capitalist.”

17. Spartacus says:

Democrats just can’t seem to manage money. I can’t understand why anyone would ever vote for a democrat again. Ever!

1. gliderdriver says:

Dude,

They have no money left to manage!

1. Spartacus says:

Dude, Because they couldn’t manage it when it was there. The more they get, the more they waste. Always with the hand out expecting more. The well’s running dry. Time to budget.

2. Bill says:

Only Democrats Bill Clinton and Lyndon Johnson have ran a balanced budget since WWII.

1. Jack Kennedy says:

and both presidents were force to budget by the republican congress ……………… just as the republicans are trying to do for obama, make him look good by cutting, cutting, cutting

2. Bill says:

Reagan had Republican Congresses also and look at the massive deficits he ran; he more than doubled the debt of the previous administrations combined. Also, only the first Democrat, Andrew Jackson, had not only no deficits, he paid off the entire nation’s debt; no Republican has ever done that

3. Bill says:

Also, look at jjob creation; Jimmy Carter had greater percentage job growth in employment his term than did Reagan in either of his terms. Also, there were more jobs created during Jimmy Carter’s 4 years than in the Bushes 12, COMBINED.

4. buddie says:

Bill you are only partially right Reagan only had a republican for 6 of the eight years. Reagans deficits were no where near what obama is running, and reagan not only drastically improved the economy he idrastically increased revenue to the government because of the prosperity (for everyone ) …through TAX CUTS. Jackson may have been a democrat but he absolutly was against your liberal nanny state and an absolute conservative as you pointed out, low taxes,no debt, no public expendatures,or for glory completly the opposite of your buddy obama..

18. gliderdriver says:

Over the past 20 years the population of Philadelphia has fallen by about 500,000 people,as they flee the high crime rate and the ridiculously high taxes. And I bet the number of people employed by the Philly school district is 25 % higher than is was 20 years ago.

Anyone want to take that bet?

1. John says:

I’ll take the bet that your population numbers are way off. The number or residents in the city has dropped by about 60,000 since 1990. Do some research before you type something so foolish next time.

19. FNTM says:

Does it really matter whether there are teachers in the Philadelphia schools or cut straight to he chase and make it policemen. The students will need them later sooner rather than later.

20. Vincent says:

Ha Ha you stupid greedy union thugs. The taxpayers own you but you don’t realize it! You could have taken a small across-the-board cut but UNION GREED drove you to get fired instead. Those that still have jobs are going to hate them more than if they’d taken a small cut because they’re class size and homework loads will be increased by double digit percentages. Teachers are STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! Why do we let them teach our kids?

21. Jim says:

They are all Ds in Philly so what don’t they just raise taxes to pay for the deficit and add a 10% pay raise for the teachers while they’re at it? All those Ds will love the tax increase because tey love taxes.

22. Silhouette says:

Well, at least they still have all their union perks. Just like Obama…the unions will pay them! No? Isn’t that in the contract? Oh…all the union dues were spent on electing Obama. Oh well, enjoy the vacation.

23. Tony Danza's mom says:

I hope Tony Danza still has his job!!

24. me says:

Here in Philly, the big D’s are finally running out of other people’s money. Reap it.

25. stop2think says:

All day Kindergarten or tax payer funded day care for parents who do not want to spend THEIR OWN money babay sitting kids.

26. danielle says:

She needs to go and I want to know where all of the money has been going isince they need so many millions more to get out of their deficit! Where were they spending the money that was already budgeted for certain programs. I deserve to know since my property taxes are most likely going to be paying for their corruption. Ugh this makes me want to take the white flight!

27. fred says:

Why is it that suburban schools and inner city Catholic Schools can generally put out a much better product (better educated students) at half of the costs than metro public schools can. Is it the teachers? studemts? parents? politics? lack of priorities? all of the above? One thing for sure it’s not lack of money.

1. lukuj says:

When parents are paying for their students to be educated, they are far more likely to demand more of their kids so that their money is not wasted. Also (I can only speak from my experience as a teacher in Catholic schools) teachers learn to make do without every new bell and whistle. Students who don’t behave can be counselled out after appropriate measures have been taken to give the student opportunities to shape up. Parents can be required to be involved, pick up report cards, come to parent conferences.
      I taught at a public school with a parents who didn’t need to be required to be involved but did so on their own and, though not paying tuition did, for the most part, demand their kids behave and work. The results were a school usually earning a rating of “exemplary” from the state. It can be done, but not without parents who demand their kids work and behave and not with students who are out of control, lazy, or unmotivated.

1. Bill says:

The teachers blame the parents here in Lubbock too. By the way, who are getting paid to teach the children? Dole sucking teachers or tax paying parents?

2. lukuj says:

Bill, if kids are told or pick up on the attitude of parents that learning isn’t important and if they have never been taught to behave, no matter how good the teacher is at both teaching and disciplining, the teacher can’t undo what parents have done at that point. A good teacher may be able to help the child improve, but learning only occurs when the parent and teacher are a team. I know it is easier to think the teacher has to do it on his/her own, but in reality it doesn’t work that way. I urge you to spend a few years teaching and see if your attitude changes. i had a parent who said pretty much what you did who ended up teaching for several months as a sub and came and apologized to me afterwards, and actually this was a pretty good class.

2. Dan says:

Because those parents(most of them) of Catholic and suburban students understand the importance of education. They are willing to make the sacrafices needed for the children to succeed. They go to back to school nights and report card conferences. The inner city parents (most of them) look at school as free day care. The catholic and suburban students work for hours every night and come to school prepared. The public school students (not all of them) don’t. The Catholic and suburban schools have the guts to dismiss misbehaving students, while the Philly public schools (administrators) sit on their hands because they get repremanded if they have too many suspensions, etc. When a public school student gets in trouble or does not have good grades, it’s the teacher’s fault. Where is the parental accountability? I know about life in all three areas (I went to and taught in Catholic schools, my kids go to school in the suburbs, and I teach in a Philly public school) and I can go on and on about what is wrong.

3. Maria says:

How would you go about proving that?

28. Hater says:

I agree. The Demoncrats are totally to blame for the demise of this once great city.

29. Primetime Editorials says:

no more layoffs this is pathetic
    so sad