Center City Restaurant Offering Taste Of The Royal Wedding Cake
Get Breaking News First
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A version of the English tea cake that was served to guests at the royal wedding reception in England is being offered here at a Center City restaurant.
Pastry chef Thomas Heck of Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse at 17th Street near Chestnut in Center City has created a version of the cake for you to try.
It has bits of biscuit, bitter-sweet dark chocolate, almonds and currants. Chef Heck then adds a some final touches before it gets to your table.
“We ‘re topping the cake with glace cherries, whole. We will serve it with creme anglaise which is actually called English sauce and we are also serving it with Chambord and we are putting dots on the plates and drawing a line through it to form hearts that lends itself to the wedding,” Heck said.
The royal dessert is being served at Davio’s for $10 and will be on the menu through the month of May.
Reported by John McDevitt, KYW Newsradio
If you would like to make it at home, Chef Heck has given us the recipe.
Davio’s Pastry Chef Tomas Heck’s Royal Dessert
10 oz. Dark Chocolate
4 oz. Butter
1 can Condensed Sweetened Milk
1/2 pack of McVities Biscuits
10 oz. Almonds, Raisins and Currants
*This is a molded and chilled dessert
Covered in Chocolate Ganache
14 oz. Garnished with Glace Cherries (Optional)
1. In sauce pan bring butter and condensed milk to a boil—stirring continuously to avoid scorching.
2. Stain and pour over chocolate—stir together to melt chocolate.
3. Fold biscuit pieces, almonds, and currants into 2/3 of chocolate ganache mixture.
4. Spoon chocolate mixture in to silicon trays or metal ring.
5. Chill for 4-6 hours
6. Coat with additional 1/3 of chocolate ganache.
7. Garnish with glazed cherries.
8. Cut & Serve.