PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A local vet is warning cat owners to stay away from Easter Lilies.
Paul McGough, a veterinarian from Chester County, says he sees it every year: pet owners who come in with cats that are dying, and the owners don’t know why.
The reason, many times, he says, is that the cat has ingested part of a lily plant. He says any kind of lily and cats, which like to nibble plants, should never be in the house together.
“The unknown toxin that’s in these plants will affect their kidneys and will, in a sense, just shut their kidneys down.”
And McGough says not to think that you can prevent your cat from eating a lily plant. By the time you realize your favorite feline has been poisoned, it’s usually already too late.
Reported By Karin Phillips, KYW Newsradio