Teens Arrested After Flash Mob Incident At Liberty Place

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Police say five teenagers are in custody after a flash mob gathered at Liberty Place in Center City Wednesday evening.

It all started about 5:30 in the area of 15th and Chestnut Streets. Central Detectives received a radio call of a large flash mob in the street. Arriving officers found 30-to-40 teens in the street weaving in and out of traffic, and pushing pedestrians on the sidewalk.

The group of teens then entered Liberty Place, knocking over promotion signs outside of stores, and then went into the food court and began flipping tables. Police say all the activity inside was caught on surveillance video.

The flash mob then exited Liberty Place on the Walnut Street side, where some of them were apprehended by police.

The teens in custody are charged with rioting, conspiracy, criminal mischief, reckless endangerment, and disorderly conduct.

All of the defendants deny knowing the others involved. Police say all five teens attend different high schools in Philadelphia.

Reported by Kim Glovas, KYW Newsradio

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Ben Diamante says:

I wonder why we are not provided with the security camera video?

1. Sua Sponte says:

because we would not want to offend and trample on the rights of the oxigen thieves

2. phillysmart says:

More propaganda by the state run media..google…the democrats are turning our country into a socialist nation that discriminates against whites and christians …you can’t believe anything in the news with the exception of a few outlets

3. barnet says:

dont confuse vandalism with Flashmob

1. phillysmart says:

the media calls it a flash mob…I call it a riot

4. Mark says:

I live in the city, have all of my life, and see stuff like this all the time. Police respond way too late. I carry a mase gun, and am trained to use it, and prepared to use it! No police, no witnesses, no guilt. Anyone who touches me lives to regret it! Burning, stinging eyeballs are not a pretty sight!

5. radarnj says:

These incidents have the potential of getting worse in the summer months ahead. Everyone needs to write comments without the hate speech which is gasoline on a fire. Encourage the Police to do their jobs and the business owners to have a counter plan to react if it happens again. Youth today are different and bad parenting in all the races is dragging down society. Evil comments are evidence that proves this.

6. DEAR JACKSON !!!! says:

YOU ARE CORRECTO ON ALL NAMES B UT BILL.. BILL WAS WITH ME LAST
    NITE AT THAT TIME, HUFFING CAR FUMES.

I BELIEVE THE LAST NAME WAS HERBERT……………

AND WHATS WITH THIS FLASH MOB THING? LET THEM COME TO SOUTH PHILLY
    TO SEE WHAT A REAL MOB IS LIKE………. YEA, SKINNY JOEY

7. Brian says:

Did I miss something? I didn’t see a thing about the kids being on welfare? But I suppose ignorance doesn’t need a reason to rant.

8. Jackson says:

I’m guessing their names were Tyroneshawn, DeBrickawika, Maleekatowana, Ronaldoawanaman, and Bill.

9. thezapper says:

they need to take a class in TASERnominics that will cure their deiruptive behaviour

10. Gene says:

Who said they were African American D-Bag? I agree with whomever they are they should be beaten with nightsticks, whatever race they are.

11. DEAR STAN says:

DEAR STAN….. WHEN I SEE 3 WHIMPY WHITE BOYS… IM THINKING IM SAFE

THATS THE SAD DIFFERENCE. WHEN I SEE MORE THAN 1 BRO ON THE STREET
    AT NIGHT, IM THINKING, OH BOY ANOTHER VICTIM …..GET WHITEY !!!!!

12. Toxic Avenger says:

And can someone please explain to me again why we have a black history month?

13. Steffy says:

It’s true. Sad but true. All you have to do is open your eyes.

14. pamsclan says:

Police say all the activity inside was caught on surveillance video…

The police should take the video to the 5 different high schools and show it to facutly and find out who the rest pof the hoodlums are…

15. maxsnafu says:

@watash60:
    A better approach would be to simply stop feeding them. End ALL welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc.

16. Eric says:

This kind of nonsense is also happening in New Jersey – twice in South Orange and of course it is all African-Amercan and none of them from the local community. Law enforcement and the legislature better get ahead of this before something really horrible happens.

17. Don Park says:

I’m glad that they arrested these hoodlum

18. Jim Wilmer says:

Well its been over a year since the last outbreak of this occured. They nabbed 5, this should lead to 10, if they treat them as last year, it will be another year before it happens again.

19. billy says:

That’s quite a dangerous-looking mob in the picture.

Comments are closed.