Upper Darby Students Arrested In Bullying Attack

UPPER DARBY, Pa. (CBS) – Police have arrested six Upper Darby High School students after they allegedly bullied and attacked a 13-year-old fellow student.  A seventh boy — a former UDHS student who had been previously expelled — was being sought.

Those arrested, ranging in age from 13 to 17 years old, were escorted off school grounds in handcuffs today by township police.

Authorities say a gang of teens grabbed the boy while he was walking home from Upper Darby High School last week. They took the victim to a nearby apartment complex, where he was kicked and dragged across the snow by his feet and then put into a tree, police say.

The assault reportedly continued for approximately 20 minutes, and ended with the assailants attempting to hook the victim by his jacket onto a fence post.  The boy was able to slide his arms out of his jacket, ran home, and reported the incident.

Watch the video…

According to police, the suspects used a cell phone to record the incident.  In the mobile phone video the boy is screaming for his attackers to stop.  Investigators say they snagged the recording before it made it to YouTube.

The suspects, whose identities were not released because of their ages, face charges of kidnapping and aggravated assault. The victim was not seriously injured.

“They’re lucky they didn’t kill him.  They’re lucky they didn’t impale his neck into the progs of the fencing,” Upper Darby police superintendent Michael Chitwood said on Monday afternoon.

Chitwood says cops made a show of arresting the suspects in front of their classmates at Upper Darby High School.

“When these bums and thugs intimadate their fellow students and make the streets unsafe, it’s unconscionable, we’re not going to tolerate it, and they’re going out in handcuffs,” Chitwood said.

What’s also outrageous, he says, is that no one in the apartment complex called 911 to report the attack.

Reported By Walt Hunter, CBS 3; Ian Bush, KYW Newsradio 1060.

Top Content On CBSPhilly

1. Mark says:

Give the same punishment to the parents. Where are they? Get involved with your kids they need help!!!!

2. steve says:

this stuff makes me sick. boy if i ever ran into one of those kids down the line, major applause given to Desean Jackson,Jamal Jackson and Todd Herremans for visiting the kid on The View. They had the kid in tears of joy and could potentially help repair this kids mental scarring.

3. MIKE says:

I think what UDHS should do is kick out all the students that don’t live in the district. All 7 cowards should be expelled. The cowards want to be tough guys they should be tried as adults, lets see how tough they really are. I feel sorry for the boy that was bullied because you know the cowards have other coward friends that might want to get back at this boy for getting them in trouble. I think UDHS needs to put someone under cover or put up video camera’s to catch future bullies. They also need to make an example out of these kids to deter this from happening again.

4. Bigmama says:

Are you serious? How can 6 attack 1. Cowards!!!!! The attackers need to be punished, jailed, executed, fined, and whatever else seem justifiable. That is a d shame that you have kids bullying other kids. This has to stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The parents need to be fined!!!! The Cowards need to be expelled and go to jail, so they can reflect on this attack. D Cowards!!!!!

5. applejak says:

Will any punishment occur or will they get a defense lawyer to get them off scotfree?

1. Anonymous says:

They’ll probably get off scotfree because the system will feel sorry for them because they are just ‘kids’ doing ‘kid’ stuff. But, in reality, they are commiting a crime of assault and terrorism, and if they are crimes for adults, they should be crimes for juviniles also. And it’s NOT turning our backs on them by having them do time for their crime like a lot of people think.

6. dj says:

Reality From a Teacher
    What happened was sad. Where are the real dads? ” Some horrible youth have the best parents.” Some parents need help.

7. Anonymous says:

I’m glad they caught the boys who terrorized this kid. He’s very brave for what he’s been through. I’m glad he wasn’t seriously hurt. It DEFINITELY could have been so much worse than it is. The Parents should be heavilly fined (hurt them in the pockets) and the boys should do some really hard time in boot camp. With a Drill Seargent spitting and screaming in their faces ‘up close and personal’, they’ll learn some discipline.

8. erickaj says:

If the parents are fined, the kids will REALLY get in trouble! In their eyes, they are doing something to mess with their money?!!!! The parents will make sure that they will never bully anyone ever again, not even a fly! My sister lives in Upper Darby and some kids tried to bully my son (then 12). He wasn’t having it. And when my brother-in law went to confront them, the parents condoned it and wanted to fight too! Ugh! These kids have real deep-rooted issues and need help.

9. slick says:

I couldn’t agree more with everyone, they need a real lesson, kick their behinds out of school, slap the parents with fines, and give them jail time with offenders and then they will feel what that boy experienced….the youth today will be the death of the world to come!!! Help us all!

10. The Man says:

sorry – should read “classic” bullying

11. The Man says:

When a major story has an obvious racial connection, the press tones down the incident(s) as much as possible, and the story is speedily relegated to page 12, as with this latest horror story which, incidentally, has nothing to do with class bullyiing.

12. Vicky, Chicago says:

I don’t understand why this is called Bullying, it’s a crime to do something like that to an adult who is just walking by by other adults. I think it’s at least assult charges even though the boy wasn’t physically hurt, he was severly threatened for his life. I would file a lawsuit against the parents and make them pay.
    Parents should be heavily fined and those “boys” since they are so tough send to boot camp or a real jail, I agree with the comments above.

It’s really really sad that it’s come to this. I feel for the parents of the attacked boy and their son as well. I pray for your son to overcome this tragic event.

13. UD07GRADUATE says:

The school district of Upper Darby is getting more and more violent as the years pass. This is unacceptable in every sense of the word. And to the person saying this is a “black” problem, you are severly misinformed. I was a victim of this type of severe bullying along with a few other kids I grew up with, and the assailants were all white. I went to Garrettford and DHMS. I honestly do not think there is anything to stop this type of behavior unfortunately. Hopefully these students are expelled because I still suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and see a counselor from the bullying I went through. God bless the parent of this child.

14. kc says:

the parents, teachers, authorities, bystanders should all be arrested! this had been going on for some time and escalating and no one helped this boy. I hope they make examples out of all of them. their parents, and families should be ashamed for allowing their children to behave in this way

15. AJ says:

I think it’s disgusting what these bullies did! I am proud of the boy and his family for standing up to these thugs. If more people took a stand as this courages family did, it would finally put an end to this kind of dispicable behavior.

16. Perseus says:

O great Zeus!
    Grant me strength to slay these fiends!

17. FormerUDstudent says:

I went to UDHS last year and this is just sick! though I’ve witnessed bullying this is the most extreme I’ve seen it. The school districts do things of bullying but that’s obviously not enough. These students need to be tought that bullying is wrong from home. Parents need to enforce the importance on non-violence. I really hope those students involved in this will get the ultimate punishment and also get some help. Something is obviously wrong with them to think this is okay and acceptable.

18. Desiree says:

Of course this boy has been a victim of bullying; he seems a sweet, intelligent young man. Ugh, this story disgusts me and I’m frightened for my sweet little boy I’m raising right now.

19. Patrick says:

Install the Singapore method- cane them!

20. Mr. X says:

real tough thugs aren’t they. I can just see the mamas now. “My son good boy. He ain’t did nuthin’!” They’ll get a slap on the wrist and a get outta jail free card! They should have showed them all being led out in cuffs without their hoodies covering their faces!

21. Jim Wilmer says:

Bullies use to be in a team of two. Now it is a mob mentality. Just shows how little our youth can think for themselves.

22. jaricci1 says:

6 against 1, what a bunch of cowardly punks, hope they all get jail time instead of a smack on the hand. Should be able to go to school and enjoy it not be afraid for your life. Hope that 13 year old is ok after all that happened to him.

23. DISGUSTED says:

24. Ziggy says:

Maybe they should be hung by their hoods on a fence outside their school. Let their peers laugh and humiliate them. Give them a taste of their own medicine. They should be kicked out of school and they should not be able to return. Send them to boot camp.

1. N. McCall says:

I could not agree with you more. They should be expelled, their parents fined and they all should serve time in jail “HARD TIME” with the real “BULLIES”!

25. kate says:

throw them in jail, let their so called parents scream bloody murder, pat the backs of the so called good neighbors for not reporting the incident.
    what in hell is going on in this country anymore.

good for the cops after handcuffing they should have dragged them by their feet through the snow to the cop cars.

26. bang bang 1 says:

Throw them in jail.

27. kadoom says:

Next! Parents will claim that they son’s are GOOD boys whom made bad judgements and have never acted out like this before and should be spanked and not jailed.

28. Kath Scullion says:

Real nice. 7 kids beat up a 13 year old? can you say cowards? Those are some great future thugs we’re raising here….

29. city engineer says:

never call the police take care of it your self,

Comments are closed.