eye-3-yellow-3d-2-new-logo philly_kyw_new philly_94wip_new 35h_cbssportsrad_philly philly_wpht_new

The Dangers Of Antifreeze

talleno_nandog_thumb1 Pet Reports
Read More

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - Be aware of one of the dangers to watch for in cold weather and that is your pets’ exposure to your car’s antifreeze.

Dogs and cats, as all animals, are susceptible to the dangers of ethylene glycol (EG), which is used widely as automotive antifreeze. It is a colorless, odorless, but unfortunately, sweet tasting liquid, which is extremely dangerous and if ingested causes death. Ethylene glycol itself is not toxic, but it ultimately becomes metabolized in the body, and develops potentially lethal effects.

The most common source of ethylene glycol is antifreeze, but it is also in brake fluids and air-conditioning fluids as well as fluids in color film processing.

Animals may experience vomiting, loss of muscle coordination, lethargic behavior, seizures, loss of appetite and thirst and dehydration. Sadly, symptoms may not appear until kidney failure takes place when it is too late. Treatment must take place within only several hours after ingestion. Cats are mostly at risk when roaming outdoors unsupervised.

Be responsible, dispose of it properly and keep your pets away from the substance completely.

Reported By Nan Talleno, KYW Newsradio