PECO Customers Start Switching Suppliers

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A spokeswoman for the Public Utility Commission says nearly seven percent of PECO’s residential customers have opted to switch suppliers now that electric rate caps have expired.

PUC spokeswoman Jennifer Kocher says overall, including both business and residential customers, about 9.4 percent of PECO customers have switched suppliers; representing about 40 percent of the utility’s load.

For just residential customers, it comes to 6.8 percent, which Kocher says is tops among the four Pennsylvania utilities whose rate caps expired on the first of the year, “It’s good. Residential customers are the hardest customer base to attract to the switching. It takes a lot more education.”

Kocher says the important thing to remember is that it’s not now, and never will be, too late to switch suppliers. You can compare prices and offers by going to the PUC’s web site, papowerswitch.com.

Reported By Tony Romeo, KYW Newsradio.

Comments

1. No A/C Saver for Me says:

On 2/18/11, Peco installed wall box units and hoses to our heat pumps without our knowledge and just left a notice on our doorknob that A/C Savers were installed. We had no idea what they did until I just read about the volunteer program on their website today. I did not enroll in this electric savings program that during the summer months, Peco will cut the power to our heat pump a/c compressors and keep the fans moving every other 15 minutes by radio wave control. They say the temperature will rise in the house during the 15 minute shutdowns from 12 noon to 8 pm but then the a/c compressors will start up to cool the home every other 15 minutes. I stay in the house during heat waves and so I’ll be forced to lower my thermostat just to keep cool resulting in no savings.

I was so enraged that they did this without telling us. I called them up today to complain and have the hardware removed from the heat pumps and repair the wall holes left from the boxes. They will come out this Wed. and I will stand outside and watch them. I won’t know if the a/c will work in this cold after they remove all the hardware! Peco said that they received a card filled out requesting them to do the installation but I insisted that we never gave them permission to tamper with our heat pumps and never sent in a card. I swear someone in their office is writing the permission cards!!! I will consider to file a complaint with the Board of Public Utilities or Public Service Commission.

Last spring, we had the heat pumps tuned up and installed new programmable thermostats to prepare for the electricity increase so I am angry that Peco wants to manipulate our electrical usage this way. I WANT to control how much electricity we use, not Peco.

Who knows how long Peco can shut our a/c compressors down beyond 15 minute intervals and not let it be known? What if they have a problem and cannot activate our a/c compressors, then we won’t be able to manually turn our a/c on and override their radio wave control? What if your own a/c heating service company won’t repair the Peco hardware? Who’s in control now?

2. A. MIlten says:

The fear of switchong energy providers is like fearing going to Shell for gas instead of BP. Does that REALLY make sense??? They both have the exact same product GAS. The ONLY difference is consumers will pay less for the same product (electricity) through an alternative energy supplier. PECO will still maintain the lines, repairs, emergencies, power outtages, etc.

3. Mark Spinelli says:

I’m not sure what to do…now being bombarded with offers, PECO always seemed fair to deal with over the years. May not be a saving in the long run.

4. buzz says:

Be careful before you jump the “Peco” ship, your switching to companies that are Market traders. Remember “Enron” and the last 10 years of market manipulation. To save maybe $100.00 to $200.00 for the first year, then realize your paying more because the “terms” read; “variable rate” , “cancellation fees”, “for the first six months” and arguing w / your new energy company to reverse a rate that you had no idea you were being charged. You will have to review your electric bill like you review your stock or 401K portfolio. I am sticking to Peco’s “default rate”, which maybe a penny more a kilowat than an alternative supplier, which amounts to $90.00 / year, then the games begin w / that alternative supplier, BEWARE.

1. Harvey says:

The PUC will keep a close watch to ensure what you describe DOES NOT happen. Pennsylvania is following the Texas model for deregulaiton which has been VERY SUCCESSFUL. Absolutely minimal complaints from consumers for the kinds of manipulation you describe.

ANY complaints of this type can be immediately brought to the attention of the Pennsylvania attorney general’s office. If this type of fraud is identified, that guilty company will not be allowed to continue operating in PA.

BEWARE of Fear mongering!!!

5. RAYMOND HAWKINS says:

I HAVE BEEN A PECO CUSTOMER FOR FOREVER BUT NOT I HAVE SWITCHED TO SAVE HEY IF IT’S ONLY 12.00 THAT’S 240.OO A YEAR AND THAT’S GODD ENOUGH FOR ME.

6. Stephanie Patterson says:

I moved out of Philadelphia and into a marvelous apartment complex. PECO is NOT the suppler. My electric bills dropped dramatically from $150 a month to about $75 a month. PECO would not be losing customers if their rates were competitive. Greed – pure and simple.

7. MIKE JONES says:

I DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE DONT CHANGE THERE IS A LOT OF CHEAP ENERGY OUT THERE AND MXENERGY IS ONE OF THEM..I HAVE IT AND HAS SAVE ME A LOT OF MONEY…

8. joyce wilson lundberg says:

I have been a long time peco customer and have been happy with them. it’s a shame that i will have to start looking for a cheaper company for my energy needs. joyce wilson lunberg

Comments are closed.