Upper Darby Police Use Technology To Nab Robbery Suspect

UPPER DARBY, Pa. (CBS) – Police in Upper Darby were able to make a high-tech arrest by utilizing technology inside the same cell phone that a suspect had stolen from a homeowner.

The incident began when suspect Tyrell Booker allegedly broke into a home on Lamport Road at about 4 a.m. Monday and stood over the bed of the frightened victim.

Investigators say Booker forced his way into home and stole the victim’s cell phone before fleeing.

Unbeknownst to Booker, the cell phone was equipped with a Lookout GPS tracking device.

Approximately an hour after the robbery, the victim and investigators used laptops to track down Booker inside a home where he was hiding.

“We actually followed the phone to the house where the guy that committed the crime lived,” Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said.

The victim eventually recovered her phone and several other stolen items.

“I’m kind of happy that he took the phone, believe it not, or he wouldn’t have been caught,” said the victim, who was asked to not be identified.

Reported By: Walt Hunter, CBS 3

More from Walt Hunter
Comments

1. gman says:

sailordude, you been at sea tooo long, come ashore and get your facts straight

2. Bert Knabe says:

By law ALL cell phones in the U.S. have GPS. The only difference is whether the consumer can access it on the phone or not. You do have the option to turn it to “Police Only” so only the cops can know where you are.

3. Christian Riley says:

What does all this have to do with anything? You break in on me, your ass is dead. All three floors. We are EEOC and don’t discriminate when it comes to the uninvited.

4. Women from the robbery says:

My children and I where are hurt by this pepole are allowed there opinions but please keep in mind that we have feelings this man broke in to my house where its always just me and my children an I awoke to him trying to climb on top of me. I also have a condition in my brain that keeps me very sick an to now have the added stress of what happened is over whelming I dont have a gun because my lil brother was shot n the barber shop in front of my sons for asking a person to be mindful of there cursing so guns scare me I felt that me not letting people n an out my home and pray would be enuff but I now know that a monster can sneak n at night n still more then your things me n my kids are scared now to be in a place wher we felt safe please pray that will get thru this and be mindful that we have feelings and thank GOD ITS NOT YOU THAT THIS HAPPENED TO sincerly women this story is about

5. Anonymous says:

LOL All you white people who THINK you’re imitating Black People Lingo are just making yourselves look like the @$$-holes that you are. If there ARE Blacks that talk like that, there aren’t many. One last bit of advice: Stop watching Turner Classic Movies, American Movie Classics, and TVLand. All those old black and white movies just are not the way Blacks are today. IDIOTS!!

6. Anonymous says:

Great news, but they really should not have reported this story. Now other crooks know not to steal cell phones, or more likely, will know which brands and models not to steal. Only law enforcement should have been informed about this way to track down a crook.

1. Anonymous says:

Don’t kid yourself. Crooks already know about GPS in phones. This idiot probably just focused on the fact that it was a ‘cell’ phone, not what kind it was. And then again, it’s possible that he just didn’t know about GPS phones. But, point being, GPS in cell phones are not news to criminals.

7. Rick Daniels says:

If it were my daughter she would have nailed him between his eyes. She’s daddy’s little girl but she’s also a dang good shot.

8. BOOM! BOOM! says:

If she had a .45 under her pillow the police wouldn’t have to waste their time looking for a stupid phone, but to each their own.

9. MalcolmXcrement says:

Way to go GENIUS!

10. Aunt Bee says:

“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” ~ Mario Andretti

11. Anonymous says:

@hard2say

Actually, here in AZ you no longer need a concealed weapon permit. Adds a bit of a bonus chuckle seeing the look on their faces when you pull it out…

January 5, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I know….and I’m loving it. LOL Like the song goes: ‘My home is protected by God and Guns!”

12. chipgiii says:

Maybe he was unaware of the 14.99 go phones at walmart.

13. Pogue Mahone says:

Wow, that photo looks like some sort of wild and dangerous animal! It’s time to remove these animals from our society so innocent people can exist without fear all the time! No society should have to put up with this all the time!

1. Oxeon54 says:

Sounds like a really good idea to me. Lets start with a manitory permit before you and make love to you wife (husband), lets say $1000 fee, then lets make adultery illegal to force people into paying the fee. Check Current Assets and Liquid Assets to make sure you can afford a baby, be employed full time for at least 10 years earning 40K or more, college grad, have a psycho test to weed out the sick people, no divorcey’s or people who had abortions accepted, have to be a regular church goer, doesn’t matter where. Have experience raising children, no domestic abuse claims against you. If everybody could meet all these requirements then we wouldn’t have social trash would we.

1. Lea C. says:

Sounds great! You gotta admit, something is really wrong when you have to prove to be responsible enough to adopt an animal from the shelter but anyone is free to breed.

2. mowfaux says:

Even with those requirements, there would be “social trash”.

14. hard2say says:

Android > iPhone

On topic – The image above is of an Android device.

15. George T. says:

Atavistic, unintelligent thug, meet 21st century technology.

16. tpcnet says:

So supposing this guy voted who do you think he voted for? McCain??
    I’m going to guess he voted for Obama. Obama doesn’t have anything to do with this guy comitting the crime but this criminal and a bunch of others have somthing to do with Obama being where he is. Of course the Republican party is just as responsible for Obama being president as they ran McCain against him. Wake up people, they are all fools racing for big government. Go take “the worlds shortest political quiz” and see where you really are alligned. You might be surprised.

1. mowfaux says:

What a useless comment.

17. PoliticalJohn says:

If they can find him, they can find you.

1. Doctor Free says:

Exactly! Disable GPS at all times…except when you can’t find the Chinese restaurant.

18. Anonymous says:

I totally agree. What does Obama have to do with these articles? It never fails.

1. sailordude says:

He voted for him along with 99% of all other black voters!

19. Anonymous says:

I go through Sprint and my phone comes with the GPS already on it. And it’s not an iPhone nor a Droid.

20. Cynic says:

Poor Tyrell – just trying to save the taxpayers by redistributing wealth without the govt layer added in.

21. bill says:

(Sing along to the bedroom intruder song).
    Hide your kids, hide your wife and hide your husband because they breaking in everywhere round here! (giggle)

22. joee says:

A dummy left behind!

23. Bob says:

His mother failed him when she named him Tyrell. I have never met or heard of anyone with a name like this who doesn’t end up in jail. Btw-Here in Arizona, he would’ve been shot, repeatedly, by several family members, before he got 10 feet into the home.

1. Anonymous says:

As a fellow Tucsonian, I love our way of doing things. I wear my side arm everywhere I go. Don’t need to, just like having it with me. You see, out here, we can carry our firearms as long as they are visible. And if we shoot intruders who might decide to chance coming in ‘un-invited’, well, we don’t go to jail because we exercise the right to protect what’s ours. Anybody for a cuppa tea?

1. hard2say says:

24. Harold says:

Well, I’ll be darned. A black thief.

25. walter12 says:

Criminals out here in Montana do not break into people’s homes when someone is home. It is just not done in Montana, and why you may ask. It is because the criminal will be shot dead by the homeowner or resident. Contrary to your Marxist/Socialist, Stalinist way of life in Phily, the law-abiding citizens of Montana are armed to the teeth.

1. born_2b_different says:

Are you kidding me? No guns in Philly? Reaearch before you post. Guess you folks in Montana aren’t the sharpest pencils in the box.

1. ManOnPoint says:

Are YOU kidding ME??? In Philly they’re all ILLEGAL!!! Here in FL ours are all LEGAL!!! Maybe YOU aren’t the sharpest pencils in the box. YES, we are all armed to the teeth, too!!!

2. Lou Gots says:

You don’t know Pennsylvanians very well. This is the big RKBA state east of the Mississippi.. We have shall-issue carry papers and strong state preemption. Would-be carjackers and home invaders are shot all the time, an good shoots are rarely prosecuted. This isn’t New Jersey..

26. Guess Who says:

These stone age savages have no way of coping with our juju.

27. pynaetlb says:

If she’d had a gun she could have saved her fellow citizens a lot of money.

28. Toxic Avenger says:

Another Obama supporter behind bars. Now this is CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN.

1. JustMe says:

What does Obama have to do with this?

2. Anonymous says:

Toxic, just for the record, not ALL Blacks voted for Obama. I never even heard of him until about 5 or 6 months before the election. And McCain’s campaign was too raggedy and desperate. So, there you have it. I didn’t vote for a President. I did, however, vote for individuals in both Parties because I believe in what they stood for. But, I’ll tell you what. If Hillary had stayed in the race, I would have voted for her.

29. JustMe says:

I’m glad they caught the guy, and I’m glad no one was hurt. Good job UDPD.

30. Hank Warren says:

Diversity and the crime it brings, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our right:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama and sweep out the Congress, except Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

31. Don says:

I thought the public schools taught him better…

Comments are closed.