NOW LIVE: Eyewitness News

TSA Worker Avoids Prison After Stealing Travelers’ Laptops

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A 37-year-old former Transportation Security Administration officer has been sentenced to three years’ probation for stealing laptop computers from passengers’ luggage at Philadelphia International Airport.

Federal prosecutor Arlene Fisk says defendant Troy Davis, upset about a demotion and lost pay, admitted stealing five laptops and a Sony Playstation.

Fisk says Davis actually used the surveillance equipment for his own greedy purpose.

“He put the luggage through special machines to see whether there was any explosives or anything of concern in the luggage,” she told KYW Newsradio.  “When he saw that there was something of value in the luggage, he took out the computers or the games.”

Judge C. Darnell Jones says he considered the defendant’s military service — the US Navy veteran served in Operation Desert Shield, Operation Desert Storm, and in Somalia.  And Davis is still recovering from injuries from a near-fatal car wreck a year ago.

“Quite frankly,” Judge Jones told the defendant, “that is what kept you out of jail, because I was determined to put you there. As I indicated before, if you violate this court’s probation, I can assure you this will not keep you out.”

Davis is married with six children.

Reported by Tony Hanson, KYW Newsradio 1060.

Comments

1. G says:

Who is our biggest threat to our passenger security at the airports? The workers of TSA and baggage handling!

On Christmas eve, after traveling 18 hours from Guam to California (still in a US territory) , I arrived at my destination on time. When I got home, I noticed my bag had been unzipped slightly (6 inches left open). Inside, I had a TSA slip with NO INSPECTOR ID or location, just a generic slip. Needless to say I had my HD video camera, game console, and only the latest 1 of 10 games was taken. How convenient! The thief only chose the highest dollared items, He left my dirty clothes.

He or she even took my eyeglass case that had may $5-$10 of change. I was so infuriated at first that I realized what else he could have taken.

Needless to say, filing a loss report is painstakingly long, you need to dig up receipts, file it, then you may actually get somebody back to you. It has been 2 days since calling. ZERO response.

I am mad at myself for checking in any high dollar items. This was on my return flight. On my flight out, I carried the console, the video camera, and had no money in there. Upon going through the security check point, the TSA did a second check on my bag, going through everything with extra attention. The agent advised that I should check in those items next time to not have the extra security check.

Up to this point, I have not been crazy about our TSA and talks of security. After this, I HATE them. Where is the video cameras of baggage handling? If an agent opens a bag without your knowledge, they should leave proof of who did what. The more I think of it, it seems more likely somebody knew something was in there of value.

Never again. The warning should be from TSA should be, if you have a high-dollar item, either carry it on or mail it. I have never had an issue of any high dollar items being lost when it has a confirmation number

Merry Christmas from the TSA and your friendly airlines. Thank you for the free goodies.

2. Housemouse says:

What? No restitution? It figures…

3. jt says:

If the corrupt TSA employee gave the stolen items to his friends,

then he would probably have a road or building named after him.

Isn’t that what our federal politicians do?

4. Tom says:

This judge sucks.
    as for the perp. HANG HIM HIGH.

5. Tom Terrific says:

Typical government “worker.”

6. S.Hall says:

He was 400 years old? Really?

7. MARVIN says:

“Integrity, Team Spirit, Innovation” is sewn around the border of the newest TSA patch.
    Have you EVER seen an organization that had to SEW A REMINDER not to STEAL, LIE, and CHEAT on their own shoulders!!!!
    “INTEGRITY” ……….. STEAL from the passengers.
    “TEAM SPIRIT” ……. BACK-STAB your CO-Workers and the PASSENGERS
    “INNOVATION” …….. IN CHEATING on their own tests.
    Supervisors padding their hours to make house payments.
    Supervisors staggering in drunk.
    Supervisors yelling all NON-Christians should leave the country
    Supervisors expressing their desire to see certain U.S. Senators DEAD
    Real MORAL organization.
    How many moral qualms will they struggle with when ……… “I just point, and shoot, and post to facebook”
    that is how fast that nice TSA can use his camera phone to expose you to the world.
    Your naked image can be on the internet before you have even cleared their checkpoint.
    Even DHS admits that 70% of their practice bombs get through TSA despite the groping and fondling.
    By the way, The x-rays that take “virtual photos” destroy your DNA at relatively low energy levels.
    But hey, Michael Chertoff is making lot of MONEY using his status as FORMER HEAD of DHS/TSA to sell them for RAPISCAN.
    Be groped or irradiated — These Full Body Scanners were going NOWHERE until the staged Crotch Bomber incident.
    – that imbecile that was escorted onto the jet without a passport and videoed in flight – evidence ignored by the FBI (see infowars.com

8. Bob Tussey Merced California says:

This is insane, his prior service should have no bearing on this case. If anything it should count against him. As a Military vet he was trained in being honoralble.
    We have to expect more from people we put in a possition of trust,.
    Cops, Judges, Elected officials, jailers, prison guards or employees, Government emplioyeeds. They all need to be held to a higher standard, and be dealt with harsher than the average citizen.

9. Hank Warren says:

If the TSA is not molesting your wife and kids, they’re stealing your stuff. TSA agents, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our right:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama and sweep out the Congress, except Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

10. Shelly says:

They stole stuff from me too.

1. Michael Rivero says:

TSA dropped and wrecked my laptop. No apology and of course no replacement.

11. Marc says:

Moral of the story: take Amtrak, Greyhound, or get a pilots license and fly your own plane wherever.

TSA = They Suck Ass

12. Anonymous says:

For every corrupt official, there is at least 10 others to back them up.

Only way to fix this, is to hope that happenings like these, reveal them to the rest of us, where before things like this would be unknown to the general public.

Burn the TSA agent, take his kids to foster parents, burn the Judge for being incompetent. Also you would need to launch a full scale investigation to see if the TSA agent was a lonewolf or had accomplices over the years, who knows what else this guy has picked up off of people.

Welcome to America and the rest of the world.

Enjoy your stay.

13. Patriot says:

When he does break his probation the so called “judge” should be put in the same cell with him

14. LWH says:

Take a look at the Judge and the TSA agent, end of story.

15. Bubber says:

Gallows on Rittenhouse Square.

16. Bob johanson says:

I wonder how TSA employees would like it if cops pulled them over in the middle of the road, groped them sexually, stole whatever they had of value and then told them they better not tell anyone or they might face jail time?

1. Nullifier says:

The cops already to that. It’s called civil asset forfeiture.

17. Jeff says:

The judge went light on him because of his military service? You fail, judge. As a retired Navy man I am here to tell you we are held to a higher standard. We expect to be held to a higher standard. We don’t prey on the people we swear to defend. You insult the rest of us by letting this clown off easy because of his service.

1. Ron Good says:

My most sincere respects, my sincerest thanks for your service and my best wishes for a prosperous and happy life.

Honour is always a wonderful thing to encounter.

2. Becky Blanton says:

Awesome. Thanks Jeff. So true!!

18. Peter says:

The guy has been a government-employee his entire working life. Double-stnadard for members of the self-serving, government-employees-union. Got a pass from a fellow union-member, the Judge.

19. AC says:

What? He isn’t getting a promotion? Somebody is totally going on the ‘no fly’ list (without due process of law – not that this is unique), and the ‘potential terrorist’ list.

20. Weird Nerd says:

Federal employee, stealing, needs to be sent to a federal prison, no parole, for a loong time, time to set examples for using a power position to steal and coerce.

21. Blair says:

I’ve always thought that people in positions of power should have a different law that governs them. Something where they will be judged more strictly and their punishments more severe if they have committed a crime. Police officers, politicians and the like are too often let off the hook when they should be held on a shorter leash considering the influence they have over society. Extend this to the TSA as well.

1. teri says:

I couldn;t agree more. My least favorite line of any news item is “Police investigators/internal affairs/etc. conducted an investigation and found no wrongdoing”. Usually at the end of an article outlining rather blunt wrongdoings.

2. Keith says:

Hell, I’d be happy if they were held to the SAME law as the rest of us!

22. blair says:

Troll!

23. wmd says:

They sentenced him to three year probation??? Sorry this guy regardless of his past service had no excuse for his actions. He should have gotten prison time regardless.

24. Jim says:

Oh boy, a TSA defender, I bet you’d be the type that would accept it if Big Sis said we have to disrobe and fly in medical gowns until we land and then we can get our clothes back. Then when people object because this is America and not a dictatorship where any breach of rights is acceptable you’d be the first to step up and say that we have to fly naked because our kids will die if we don’t.

25. ymarsakar says:

Joe P, what rock did you crawl out from.

Name one terrorist the TSA has stopped.

While the people have stopped 9/11 hijackers on Flight 93, Richard the Shoebomber, Underwear binary exploder, and on and on.

Totalitarian statist wannabes should go join the SS.

26. terrence says:

Patrick G. Hart said “Those with out sin , may throw the first stone……..” As he, Patrick G Hart, threw the first stone.

27. Guess Who says:

OK, Patrick, I’m throwing my stone. 75-IQ street thugs should never be put in charge of security.

28. Patrick G. Hart says:

Those with out sin , may throw the first stone……..

1. Jason Shoots says:

So what are you saying let all people who are in prison go free? Do you know when Jesus said what He said, there was not the man present with the woman. In their own law, it was suppose to be the execution of both people. It’s still that way today in muslim countries. When someone breaks the law, justice is expected on the one who breaks it. And in our case justice was carried out on Jesus, that is unless someone rejects Him then justice is carried out on them. Either way justice must be carried out, or God (Jesus) who is perfect Love, wouldn’t be truly loving if He over looked justice. You know what I mean?

2. Keith says:

Yep, let those of us who have not used our federal positions to steal 5 laptops and a Playstation throw the first stone.

29. K. Margarita says:

What an example he is setting for his SIX children. I bet they will grow up to be just like daddy. Get what you want at someone else’s expense when you can’t afford to buy it.

1. Jason Shoots says:

That’s called socialism, “you didn’t earn it” let someone else give it to you. :)

30. Rich says:

Thats all he got caught for who knows what else this guy stole .He and the judge should be in jail.

31. Doug Glantz says:

Six kids!?!

32. Jason Eubanks says:

Not diggin the double standard here. This FEDERAL EMPLOYEE (who is supposed to be held to a high standard, as one of the many faces of federal government) steals easily over $1000 worth of electronic goods that belong to the people he is charged with protecting, yet if I steal a candy bar from the local Sunoco, I’m lookin at jail time for shoplifting. That judge needs to be looked into.

33. SueH says:

you’ve got to be kdding,that judge has got to go.

34. Stephanie Patterson says:

This bunch of TSA workers is out of control – theft, pat-down of a 6-YEAR-OLD CHILD, detaining a pregnant woman in a room with no chair (she went into labor), upset that they couldn’t “see” the morphine pump implanted in a pain patient and tried to feel for it, and the list of atrocities goes on.

SHAME ON YOU, JUDGE. You could have sent a message to these power-hungry people.

35. CAPS says:

WHAT A JOKE ! A FEDERAL EMPLOYEE STEALS AND GETS AWAY WITH IT ! WHAT ELSE DID HE STEAL AND GET AWAY WITH ? WHAT A WASTE OF A JUDGE. THIS IS WHAT’S WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY .

Comments are closed.