Woman Beaten, Robbed In SugarHouse Parking Lot

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — What was supposed to be a night of fun became a nightmare. A trip to a Philadelphia casino turned into a trip to the hospital after two robbers attacked a woman and her friends.

It happened just after midnight Friday in a parking lot at the SugarHouse Casino.

According to one of the victims, who wished to remain anonymous, she and her friends had just gotten out of their car when they were confronted by two men at gunpoint. The victim told Eyewitness News the robbers demanded money and she says when one of her friends refused to hand over her purse, one of the suspects pistol whipped her friend in the back of her head before taking off with her purse, their wallets, cell phones and more than $300 in cash.

The victims’ friend needed stitches for her injury.

The victim says she was able to take down the getaway car’s tag number. Police later told Eyewitness News the vehicle they are trying to track down is a 2001 silver Pontiac Bonneville with a PA license plate: HGG-2937. According to police, the car was stolen in a carjacking in Darby just hours before the SugarHouse robbery.

“This is the first robbery. There are two thefts from autos, one vandalism since SugarHouse opening,” Lt. Ray Evers with the Philadelphia Police Department said.

In October, there was an attempted robbery of a man who had just won $2,000 at the casino. The casino video shows two men following the victim out of the casino and into the parking lot. The victim told police the two men followed him home and tried to rob him there, but he was able to fight off his attackers.

“Truthfully, this is not where I would want to commit a crime,” Anthony DiLacqua, the director of Security at SugarHouse said.

According to DiLacqua, there is a fleet of casino, city and state police officers patrolling the premise round the clock and more than 500 cameras installed inside and outside the casino.

DiLacqua explained, “To make sure our guys were out doing their job, I went through the video and I was able to confirm this lot was covered at the time of the robbery. Unfortunately, we weren’t in that particular parking spot at that time.”

“Unfortunately, from the angles of the video, there’s video of the incident, but there’s no way we can make identifications of the males,” Lt. Evers added.

So, police are turning to the public for help and are asking anyone with information to contact the East Detectives at (215) 686-3243 or 3244.

In the meantime, casino officials say they will review this incident to see what, if any, changes are necessary to better protect their visitors.

Reported By: Paul Kurtz, KYW Newsradio, Elizabeth Hur, CBS3

More from Paul Kurtz
Comments

1. Oregon_Dude says:

Yeah lets here it for the east coast! Philly is the toilet bowl of America. Yeah Lets here it for black people and white people gone wild!! White east coasters consume and destroy at will and there are no rules for black folk cause they were in slavery ya and so we are mad as hell and have no respect for this country that put us in slavery. That stupid slavery that kept us down for 400 years. Why slavery did nothing for us but brought us over from Africa where our home was into this horrible east coast.

Not that I care that black tribes sold black people to slave traders I will forget that part. Oh and I forgot that i wasn’t in slavery at all in fact I was born in the 70’s and know nothing about how it is to be a slave. Oh i forgot also that I can go to college or play sports and make lots of money in this American economy. I couldn’t in Africa so I still feel hurt over it.

I’m so mad at slavery but it was slavery that brought my ancestors over here and now I can gain rewards for hard work in America. So I hate America cause i don’t know but I live on the east coast and so I have no brain to think with. Duh..drool..duh.

2. Nostromo says:

It’s every person for themselves. If you try to protect yourself you assume the risk of running afoul of The Law.
    Savor the irony.

3. ZZBAR says:

How do you prevent from being robbed at and by the Casino? Crooked police in the Phiily area and lax security guards, will not prevent this garbage. DON’T GO is the answer. Why wait a couple of years to close Sugarhouse down, as stated by
    Caps. The sooner the better, if people are getting robbed.

4. Big Al says:

Philly’s black thugs have zeroed in on easy money. Because of Atlantic City thugs, Atlantic City is quickly becoming a ghost town. This was so predictable. Let it be aother lesson. Phila. is no place for business. Not with its current “populace.”

5. Viet Vet says:

The casinos want to make money. The patrons want to win money. The thieves want to steal money. The main purpose in life is the quest for the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR. So, stay focused!

6. Joel says:

My wife and myself are recently retired police officers, on the first Saturday that the casino open we went there to see what it was like. We noticed a police wagon parked a block away across the street from the parking lot (for the next 2 hours that was only the security we noticed and we were looking. Once inside about 30 to 40% of the slot machine had young guys sitting with their backs to the machines just watching other people play and they weren’t watching people they were with either so what are they watching or waiting for (agin no security in site). Plain clothes security is to apprehend criminals (thats not working). A uniformed show of force would deter crime which should be what you are trying for. Your customer base would feel safer. This would also again deter crime and would free up the slot machines so people that wanted to play could. My wife and I have new very good jobs so I’m not suggesting this for us but hiring resently retired state troopers and police officer would help improve things there alot. They are already training and have health benefits, they know what to look for and could teach the younger security personel what to look for and how to handle incidents that occur. If that place becomes a thug hang out the casino will go under. It easy pick’n right now and the customers may not be the only ones getting robbed or worst. When you have meeting dicussing how to stop crime, criminals are also having meeting on how commit crime.You can’t learn how it’s done in a class room. It’s like reading a book about swimming but not getting in the water (you’ll still drown you’ll just know why.. wake up!!!!!! ) When you underestimate your opponent you already lost. my wife and I are both licensed and armed but we won’t be back. Stevie Wonder could see the holes in that security.

7. pm says:

The only ghetto area in Fishtown is contained within the Sugarhouse fence.

8. Jim Wilmer says:

Common sense says to rob someone before they get into the casino. They aren’t going to have as much money when they leave. The robbers were more observent then the victoms. You can get robbed in front of a police station. Do it when no one is around.

9. THE CITY says:

FOR SOME OF THE SMALL MINDED READERS THIS DOESN’T ALWAYS HAPPEN IN THE GHETTO. WE ARE SO QUICK TO TALK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IN THE CITY BUT THE OUT SKIRTS ARE NO DIFFERENT. YOU JUST COVER IT UP MUCH BETTER.SO FOR EVERY BANK ROBBERY AND MEGAN ALERT IN THE BURBS THERE IS A ROBBING OR MUGGING IN THE CITY SO JUST SAY IT’S NOT SAFE TO LIVE ANY WHERE THESE DAYS. SUGAR HOUSE YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS

10. Roger says:

Excellent point.

11. bottomline says:

Sugar house didn’t bring the crime, the crime was already there, so stop blaming the casino – some of you need to get honest with yourselves, you just you don’t like the casinos.
    It was, and is sheer folly to think the city’s elite criminals wouldn’t take advantage of the big money to be found there.
    Maybe the city can’t control crime but at least the city could have done the honest thing and issued warnings to the gamblers that they will be gambling with their lives too.

12. Rich says:

They have plenty of securty at the door why not the parking lot.Phila is getting more dangerious than Mexico!

13. mr.j says:

i moved out of phila. in 1993 but when i my son told me they were putting a casino in philly, i told him i would not go.i will go to the one in bucks county.

14. Paul Boni says:

With so many one-armed bandits, it’s not surprising they have some two-armed bandits.

1. k s says:

i’m more scared of the one-armed bandits, because they’re the really crazy ones

15. dan says:

It may only be casino patrons who are victimized, but it’s all taxpayers who foot the bill for the police and other societal costs.

16. BB says:

Again, where are the legislators and state gaming control board to adequately account for the increase in crime and social ills because of legalized gambling? The answer: nowhere to be found. Like everything else in society, they only care about the revenue, not the dark side of how to get that revenue. That’s inconsequential to them. Will Sugar House pay for the costs associated with investigating this crime that they helped contribute to? I’m not holding my breath.

1. Mount Airy says:

I completely agree with you. I was against the casino from the start. Philadelphia already has issues with crime.

17. Justin says:

This is what happens when you ut a casino in the ghetto. Ok maybe not ghetto, but center city is a lot safer than fishtown.

1. Mount Airy says:

no fishtown is the ghetto, I would not want to live there

18. wondering says:

were they caucasian ?

19. F wang says:

Surgarhouse soon will be close the door

20. cm ocasio says:

where is the security? there are security patrol in mall parking lots, why not in the casino lots. If you plan on staying open, nip this problem in the bud before you prove the surrounding neighborhood right.

21. caps says:

This casino will be closed in a few years

22. mr nes says:

Do they have a profile on who’s doing these muggings and beatings?
    I bet I do!

23. BC says:

Forget Sugarhouse. Go to Parx in Bucks county where it’s safe to walk alone in the parking lot.

1. PJB says:

So safe you can leave your kids in the car!

24. dmac6419 says:

cops were probably sleeping some where

25. HERBERT HOOVER says:

SURPRISE, SURPRISE……..ONLY THE WINNERS GET ROBBED. .. NOT THE LOSERS
    SO I THINK IM SAFE……………………..

MAYBE HIRING A FEW MORE GUARDS IN THE PARKING LOT ? THEY COULD THEN
    BABY SIT THOSE WHO LEAVE THEIR KIDS IN THE CAR ???

Comments are closed.