NOW LIVE: Eyewitness News

Teen Arrested For Igniting Smoke Bomb Inside NJ School

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ (CBS) — An 18-year-old has been arrested after igniting a homemade smoke bomb inside the cafeteria of a New Jersey high school.

The incident happened at about 11:20 a.m. Monday inside Atlantic City High School.

According to investigators, Sebastian Delgado set off a homemade smoke bomb while he and other students were waiting to purchase lunch in the food line of the student cafeteria.

The device created a great deal of smoke and the school was evacuated.

No students were injured as a result of the incident. However, an adult high school staff member suffered a minor injury while he was evacuating. The 52-year-old male employee slipped and fell and was transported to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center for treatment. He was treated and released from the hospital.

Students returned to the classrooms at 11:50 a.m.

Delgado was taken into custody at the high school and has been charged with possession of a destructive device, causing widespread panic and aggravated assault.

MOST VIEWED ON CBSPHILLY.COM:

Plane Carrying Phillies Has Near Miss At Philadelphia Airport
Pa. Woman Charged In Deaths Of 5 Infants, Remains Found In Closet
Dog Found Severed In Somerton
PHOTOS: Conservative Celebs
PHOTOS: NFL Cheerleaders

Comments

1. Justin says:

Schools do everything in their power to protect our children from everything…sadly, that includes protecting them from an actual education.

2. JIm in PA says:

And to think we set off smoke bombs in English class in the 1970’s and no one even got sent to the principles office. lol

3. Rod says:

The internet has changed things. High school kids can now get formulas and instructions for making some very powerful explosives that can be made from items readily available in your local grocery and hardware store. Some of these formulas are so dangerous that it you look at them wrong, they’ll detonate.
    Bringing any chemical device to school should be highly discouraged. If draconian punishment is necessary to accomplish this, so be it. If you have kids are inclined to do something like this you need to have a very serious talk with them. It might help save someone from be seriously maimed or killed.

4. Damon says:

I did almost the exact same thing when I was in the 10th grade. We lit of a military issued smoke bomb in a school bathroom during finals, and let me tell you, that was HUGE mistake. People were evacuated, fire trucks, EMS, police, etc., and the school was livid, but this was back in 1994 so while I did get in A LOT of trouble, it never did go to court. Just a boat load of “community service” work demanded by the school.

I have often been thankful that I let out my stupidity before the days of columbine and especially before 9/11. I can’t imagine if I was that young now and did something like that. Jail time for sure and a mark that would never leave my record.

5. Safety man says:

This is a little over the top. Here are some safety forms for the accident that did happen.

6. Jubal Harshaw says:

Tom Edison did the same kind of thing (used ammonia and hcl) in his day. If memory serves, he got a switching and that was that.

7. D-TOM says:

No smoking, no drinking, no fun!!!
    Who did you vote for over the last 20 years???

8. ThoughItWasFunny says:

Back in 1992 through 1994, my high school was plagued with smoke bombs on a monthly basis. Not only was no one arrested, the teachers would merely grimace and open windows. The students though it was hilarious, which is why the guys who did it spent so much money buying heavy-duty smoke bombs from catalogs.

What a pathetic over-reactive society we’ve become!

9. Phil says:

Could you imagine if this kid was of middle eastern decent? The school would still be on lockdown with police in Hazmat suits. Now that’s disturbing.

For the record, in my school in 1986, the school police officer would have been involved and they probably would have brought in law enforcement. This is a bit worse than putting gum under the desk or writing on the bathroom wall. Trust me, I’m no angel but I agree the kid should have been booked by police. That way, in ten years when he does something else this stupid, they can see this in his past.

10. Mike B says:

This story is a great example of how we are exposed to media over-saturation. It isn’t a news story. Stay tuned tomorrow when we learn about a kid who phones in a bomb scare to his school during exams.

11. glenp says:

we sailed paper airplanes with firecrackers taped on

OMG SEND HIM TO GITMO!!!

12. jake says:

At my school in the 80’s, if your name was Skip or Todd and was on any varsity team and did anything stupid for laughs, everybody laughed it off.

If your name was Juan or Diego and you did the same thing you were dragged out in cuffs.

Thirty years and nothing has changed.

13. Sid C. says:

Forget 9/11 (for purposes of this comment only) – remember Columbine? I doubt those who “freaked out” were thinking Al Qaeda.

14. wayne says:

what kind of bomb? how was it made? how much smoke? what charges? was the slip and fall really related? does the reporter really get paid for writing half an article?

15. Bob Dobbs says:

This 18-year old adult (lol) is now looking at multiple counts of endangering minors, arson and depending how crafty the jewy lawyers are, the use of a terrorist device. I say he just admist to qorking for Al-Qeada, this way he can get 3 squares at Gitmo with the possible deportation to a third world country of his choosing.

16. Jeff B says:

I’m not condoning what this young man did, but there is shear hysteria in all walks of life today. Forty-five years ago I used to take my shotgun to high school, put it in my locker, and go out at the end of the day to shoot pigeons at the farm across the street. I then took the activity bus home. I shared my story with another teacher, and told me he did the same thing! I’m glad I lived when I did even if we didn’t have iPhones and everything else we have today. Life is definitely not better

17. Eric says:

When you allow the government to control your every action don’t be surprised when they control your every action with force.

18. John says:

The columbine school massacre stated zero tolerance. Also the anti gun, anti every thing nanny government mentality that liberals love.

19. Noname says:

People today do not understand the consequences of their actions.
    Teachers are afraid that their action or inaction could get them in trouble.
    Kids don’t see the consequences or don’t care for many reasons.
    Thus, we make rules that free us of the consequences of following them.
    You have heard it before.
    It’s a weak defense, but some people think it works.
    I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING ORDERS.

20. Rico says:

This kid needs to act quickly, while there is still time to profit. First, change your name to Abdul and get yourself a Koran. Second, claim you are a political prisoner. Worst case result: you get off scot free. And who knows? With luck, and minimal manipulative talents, you might just become the darling of the left and a well-compensated professional victim. The upside is limitless!

21. Henry says:

More and more draconian responses for minor issues like a smoke bomb, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our right:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by fencing-in demonstrators at G-20, banning books like “America Deceived II” and trying to take-over the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by wireless wiretapping.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars.
    Impeach Obama (and sweep out the Congress, except Ron Paul).
    [Link of Banned Book]:

22. Rico says:

Too bad liberals don’t enforce immigration laws the way they beat teen age pransters over the head with “zero tolerance.”

On the other hand, I guess we should be thankful “the perp” wasn’t a first grade boy drawing a picture of a gun.

23. Rico says:

Sheer madness. Roll a smoke bomb down the school hall, and a liberal will frog march the kid to jail in shackles.

Pump four slugs into a cop, and the liberal wil hold candlelight vigils for the drug-crazed killer.

1. peter says:

Crazy liberal policies have come home to roost. What can you do? Vote, that’s what.

24. MadMax says:

32 years ago, this type of incident would have gotten you detention, suspended, and/or got your butt beat. Now the authoritaian mini-me liberal nazis stick to the ideology of “never let a crisis go to waste.”

Hitler and Stalin would be so proud.

25. willbilson says:

So what are we going to do about this? Do any of you have any guts to stand up to these people? I am not mocking you, I don’t know if I do.. But our country is very ill. How can we change it?

26. Jamed says:

A smoke bomb??? OMG!! OMG!!! WIll counseling be available for the poor tender children effected by this horrible, horrible tragedy???

27. wayne says:

Circa ’66, senior in HS. Favorite prank was a “cherry bomb” (yeah, you could buy ’em back then) stuck in the side of lit cigarette and left on one of the office’s window sills. Do this at recess and be back in class when it went off. he-he. And if you got caught, get ready for the coach and the paddle and another when you got home. After this case was closed.

28. phil says:

Blame lawyers. Schools call the cops because they are afraid of all the soccer moms and dads out there suing them for disciplining little johnny. SO they say fine, we’ll call the cops and COA’s

29. Austin G says:

this is the result of “no tolerance” policies at schools. if you fail a class you can do it over. but if you have one dumb moment and do one dumb or maybe just mischevious thing, you get charged with a felony and could go to prison, ruining your chances of getting a good job or going to a good college. ridiculous

30. RickyBobby says:

What a joke! Our school systems are way too authoritarian! Give him detention, laugh it off and remember the great smoke prank of 2010! Call the police!?!? You have got to be kidding… Our schools are become little authoritarian training grounds for our future socialist society. When will the madness end? Who will stand up and be sensible?

31. Hiawatha says:

Zero tolerance is just a tool that still fails to provide CYA for the schoool administration or allow for common sense to be applied. I accidentally started a fire in a haystack by leaving some alchohollic beverages behind for some careless smokers to find (so I guess I didn’t actually start the fire). Our rear ends paid the price without the need for police and the lesson of the paddle was the most effective.

32. Brian says:

39 years ago, when I was in the 9th grade I had made a homemade smoke bomb. Some of my friends wanted to see how well it worked. We lit it behind the stage in the school auditorium. After it was over we threw it into a sink and left. Unbeknownst to me the principal was coming in another door and saw us leave. He smelled smoke and thought an electrical panel was on fire so he called the fire department. He then conducted a class to class search and found me. I told him what I had done and was suspended for 3 days.

33. Scott says:

Why is it that we are criminalizing all aspects of human behavior? We are truly a controlled and beat down people. In the 1950’s, we used to put homemade M-80s in people’s mailboxes on Halloween, sometimes splitting the seams open. Got caught once, and had to buy the guy a new mailbox. Nowadays, it is a terrorist act with a “destructive device”. People are nuts.

34. ck says:

It’s so refreshing to see so many people agreeing that this was just a stupid prank and that the worst this kid should have received was a suspension. High school for me was only 20 years ago and at least twice a year somebody would be setting off stink bombs in the lockers. It was awful to smell but most people got a kick out of it. Toilet papering the coach’s yard after a big win was considered a spirited gesture and leaving clouds of tire smoke in the school parking lot after the last bell just meant you had a car everyone else wanted. Now schools are just raising a bunch of narrow minded wimps.

35. TRL says:

We are just beginning to see the results of Zero Tolerance in education on our society.

36. Lizzy says:

Back when I was a kid, They would have called his parents and he would have a missed a day or two of school. Now! HArd time at Leavenworth.

37. Bud says:

40 years ago, the kid would have been brought out in front of a general assembly. The gym teacher would then take a paddle and smack the kid’s butt until he cried like a little girl.

38. Kevin Alexander says:

Well, I did ‘attend’ reform school in the 70’s, and he would not have been arrested. The staff would have beat the snot out of him and thrown him in meditation hall, but no, not arrested.

39. Kevin says:

At one time (not to long ago) this was a free country, not a lawyer driven feminized nanny-state. Which is why there needs to be a police officer in all high schools. LOL @ U.S.. Within the next 15 years, this formerly free and formerly great country will be a complete prison state. By then, I will no longer live here, so I could care less. Morons deserve NO freedom….

40. charles says:

tried 30 yrs ago, 1 day suspension

41. Marty says:

We used to flush M-80’s down the toilets and blow up the plumbing. Smoke bomb? How light weight…….

42. Mason says:

I had to scrub cafeteria tables for weeks after I set off fireworks in school. No one would have even considered calling the police. That was 1981.

43. tominhouston says:

3 good swats from the football coach.
    suspension for a week
    Apology to the student body, faculty and staff on the first day back.
    Return to class – incident closed.

But no these people want to ruin his life for a high school prank.
    Involve the legal system and this will never go away. Now that’s excessive.

1. enigmaforever says:

agree

2. JohnF says:

Exactly, stupid kid prank blown way out of porportion.

44. D. Engle says:

The least that they can do is to put him on the no-fly list.

45. meandi says:

I knew the difference between right and wrong by the time I started kindergarten. If I had ever tried something like this, Dad would have whipped my a–.

1. jen says:

If you were a kid now and your dad whipped your a- he’d be reported for child abuse…

46. Lloyd Swain says:

A child’s brain is not fully developed at this age and unfortunately some actions of youth can really harm them. Thinking as an 18 year old this is pretty funny. As a 62 year old. My God! how dumb!

1. Tom O'Neill says:

a board on the butt has been known to stimulate mental development

47. S. Wilson says:

I’m happy our schools have “O” tolerance. It’s bad enough our kids today have to grow up in this world as it is today. As a matter of fact: a student busted out a bus window today (on the way to school)……..and he was taken off the bus with handcuffs!! Thumbs up to our law enforcement / school board for showing the ‘other students’ that Crime doesn’t pay and there IS a consequence for their actions

1. enigmaforever says:

zero tolerance is a cop out so educators don’t have to think. 5 year old kid suspended for kissing a girl viewed as sexual harassment because of zero tolerance, kids suspended for taking an aspirin, it is all because children are just a number anymore.

1. Kyle says:

Amen enigmaforever .I never comment on online stories, but I can’t believe there are people like “S. Wilson” who are so asinine as to equate a harmless smoke bomb with “crime.” Seriously, S., grow a pair.

2. Daisy says:

I wish your teachers had zero tolerance for ignorance and didn’t advance you from second grade still using the term ‘busted out’.

1. JohnF says:

LOL Daisy

2. Libertarian_Thinker says:

RE: Daisy’s post 10/25 @ 7:54pm

LOL …Bravo Well Said!

3. M. Backus says:

Liberalism IS a mental disorder

1. M. Backus says:

That comment is for S. Wilson by the way. Thanks, Mike.

2. John says:

Yes, a good one. Open mind and able to discern facts from fiction from Fox News blowhards is a good quality to have as an American.

48. A. Mayhem says:

Try 17 years ago. I got a 2 week suspension.

49. elchucko says:

40 years ago he would be in jail.

1. enigmaforever says:

not sure what school you went to because 50 years ago he would have been sent to the principles office, and everyone would have gotten a good chuckle, and he would have gotten detention for a week or two. Sure glad I didn’t go to your school.

1. Richard says:

you didn’t go to my school or you would have learned how to spell “principal”.

2. Daisy says:

Did you attend reform school? No way would he have been arrested 50 years ago, He would have had detention and become the most desirable bad boy in the school.

3. dave says:

where did you go to school? Attica?

4. JapesMcFarland says:

“40 years ago he would be in jail.”

Rubbish! There was more common sense 40 years ago. In other words a prank would have recognised for what it was… a prank not meant to really hurt anyone. Now the leftist ninnies, like uptight librarians, sticklers for every rule of law they can impose are running the asylum. The 60’s have really done a job on our society…in many ways.

50. Steve says:

20 years ago, we would have laughed it off, and the boy would have had a suspension, or had to stay after school. Today we bring in law enforcement.

1. Daisy says:

You are so right! That, plus the clumsy teacher who fell will sue.

2. davec says:

EXACTLY. Hell, we set off FIRECRACKERS in the halls.

These school administrators are totalitarian NAzis.

Its about teaching students to fear the police state.

Its also about the fact that the Govt is having to INVENT a terrorist threat, since there isnt a real one. They have to blow anything they can way out of proportion and pretend its terrorism to keep their power

1. Vince In TX says:

Hey, davec, I checked out your blog. Tried to leave a comment on the FEDS PLANT PIPE BOMB IN CITIZENS CAR story, but couldn’t get past the code verification. That metal tube looks a lot like a Maglite tube to me, with a power cord to the “GPS” unit. Don’t get me wrong! If someone attaches a metallic tube to the underside of your car with strong magnets, wired to an electronics commo device, GET AWAY, CALL 911, and let the pros dispose! Even if it IS a battery pack, it’s a truly unfriendly looking device, and poses a threat (as in fearing for your life) to the person who finds it under his car.

Get that code verifier fixed, will ya? Or WikiLeakify it–refuse any input from outside of your site.

2. Lee Barnum says:

All you people saying 20 yrs ago, 40 yrs ago, 50 yrs ago… I got news for you, It’s 2010, little more than a decade since 9/11 and anyone stupid enough to light up anything like a firework or smoke bomb in school is just stupid. I bet he wont be doing it again.

3. jj says:

ap so lutly

3. W Abbott says:

I actually did this in eighth grade. Only one difference – the trash can caught on fire. I dropped it in the trash can on the way out the door from Social Studies. Mr. Pennell tracked me down in Science; “Where’s the mad bomber!” He took me to the principal’s office and Mr. Zeller, the vice-principal, did the sensible thing; he beat my butt with a paddle. Second time that day too. In English, second hour, I said a bad word and tore up my report card in front of the teacher, Mrs. Hooper. It was the last day of the year.

4. John says:

Well, you can thank GW for the Patriot Act and Fox News for their nonstop fear mongering for making “crimes” such as this become a huge big deal.

1. tarag says:

Or perhaps we can all thank liberals like you who must have big brother take care of everybody, everything, all the time. Punish children? No frowns here! Everyone’s a victim. Politically correct, as usual.

2. smokehouse says:

George Bush??? Patriot Act??? FOX News??? Man, are you one lighweight liberal. Try something else.

3. DCLaw-1 says:

Heh? Can you please explain the connection between the PATRIOT Act and this incident, and arrest? Also, any attempt to connect the incident and arrest to GW Bush or FOX News would be appreciated. Or, are you simply repeating tired hperbole that would have been as inaccurate eight years ago as it is today?

4. Joel says:

You mean the Patriot Act that Obama has not only kept but has expanded the powers of?

5. John says:

30 years ago this happened at my middle school but a 12 year old. He was given 5 days of ‘whacks’ (Principal spanked hm once a day with a wooden board – hard) and was not allowed to attend school functions for the rest of the year.

Today even THE PARENT can be arrested for spanking their kid with a wooden object.

1. Sue says:

How right you are. Sad, isn’t it? Kids hold all the cards these days and they know it.

6. hgquwcvuv says:

That and we were smarter we used cigerettes as delay fuses so we wouldnt get caught…..lol

7. LJW says:

I was just thinking this same thing!!! Really?!?!?!? Arrested????

Comments are closed.