Del. Alcohol Enforcement Chief Resigns After DUI Arrest

DOVER, Del. (AP) — The head of the agency charged with enforcing Delaware’s alcohol laws has resigned after being arrested for drunken driving.

Siobahn Sullivan submitted her resignation letter to Secretary of Safety and Homeland Security Lewis Schiliro on Friday, saying she was resigning effective immediately as director of the Division of Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement.

Sullivan was stopped for speeding early Thursday on Route 1 near Lewes and subsequently charged with drunken driving. The 45-year-old Sullivan was released pending arraignment, which is scheduled for Oct. 22., and had been placed on administrative leave with pay.

Sullivan is a retired state police sergeant and was the commander of the executive protection unit assigned to former Gov. Ruth Ann Minner.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. James Woods says:

As a member of one of Pennsylvania anti-dui programs to suspend her with pay is ridiciculous.

If an everyday citizen gets a dui it’s often a life changing thing if their license is affected since they then have to plan a new way to get to work and for other needs.

What is this with pay nonsense? The message I see here is work for programs against dui and when you yourself get one you get paid for it.

Makes alot of sense.

2. NadePaulKuciGravMcKi says:

Glenn Beck has a problem with the media 9/11 cover-up.
    Glenn Beck knows all about the new 9/11 evidence.

Building Seven.
    Twin Towers.
    Shanksville.
    Pentagon.
    Anthrax.

3. Tundra says:

Seeing she was a political appointee, I wonder what her political affiliation is? (Like I don’t already know!!!!!) You notice it is conspicuously absent from the article.

4. Checkmoot says:

We all know that some of the cops that give us tickets and arrest us for DWI are, when off duty, some of the worst offenders. They generally get a pass from their co-workers though.

5. dbatch1715 says:

Do as I say, not as I do. The big government motto

6. boogaboogasmith says:

PRISON. No doubt the criminal court will violate the US Constitution and give her “special” consideration and protections not afforded the average citixen, but she needs to be dealt with fairly and imprisoned.

7. Dan Crothers says:

She should immediately promoted to be the Head of Alcohol Tasting for the federal government and make that job a cabinet level position. She could have collateral duties of teaching others how to drive while impaired. Oh…and give her a really big raise too.

8. dale says:

You can’t make this stuff up

9. ditchdigger2 says:

She was undercover, and trying to understand why she was throwing all these people in jail, a misunderstanding, it will go away.

10. Reagans Ghost says:

Well, at least she wasn’t drinking AND smoking!

11. mjazz says:

call a cab or drink at home

12. joe blow says:

Spank his pee pee, whack his weener, beat his hairy ass

13. Chris Coons says:

Sure, she’s an accused drunk driver who resigned her position in charge of alcohol enforcement. But at least SHE’S NOT A WITCH. That’s what really counts. Does anybody have a picture of her with a carrot as her nose? Does she weigh as much as a duck? I DON’T THINK SO. These are serious questions that need to be answered So until those questions are answered I’ll reserve my judgment upon her guilt.

14. Vermont Woodchuck says:

She wasn’t just drinking and driving, she was speeding also!

1. nash says:

speeding.another stupid law.

15. Norris says:

I don’t drink and drive. Neither should any or you.

16. larry says:

“She shows all of us we are human”…

Except for that fact that most of HUMANS don’t want a job bossing other people around at the point of a GUN (typical po-lice, government parasite behavior).

Government employee = parasite. Time to get rid of the ticks.

17. allen Smith says:

you are a moron. Obviously you have a criminal record……..if you are a law abiding citizen, which i doubt, you should thank GOD everyday that the police are out there protecting jerks like you with their lifes. They are terribly underpaid and if they live long enough to draw a pension, they deserve every dollar and more.

1. nash says:

terribly underpaid?
      give me a break!
      or an underpaid job!

18. Janette M. Isaacs says:

This story is as comical as mine whereby my LASC Judge, Thomas Trent Lewis sits on the board of directors for the AFCC and adjudicates completely contrary to the protocols, policies and procedures established and published by the AFCC! Talk about hypocrisy! Who are these people?

19. Just some other human from another place says:

1. Just because one is Irish does not mean that they are an alcoholic. 2. There are so many different scenarios that could have landed her in this situation, such as: too many drinks at dinner; falling off the wagon; exhaustion in conjunction with consumption; the list go could go on and on.
    3. I think this is a great lesson for everyone to learn; no one is perfect and we don’t always practice what we preach.
    Yes, drinking beyond impairment and operating machinery that weighs more than a ton is generally NOT A GOOD IDEA.
    On a final note, if you are going to criticize another human being without compassion — please consider using proper grammar, and try your best with the spelling.

20. tnmccoy says:

If she has any type of alcohol problem, she should have resigned a long time ago. This is a case of doing it until she’s caught. She should find the same punishments applied to her as to anyone else in the State. She should receive NO severance and NO pension from the State for her faulty work.

21. Eric says:

This lady was well aware of her responsibilities. She had served as a State Police officer. I hope she is able to recover and end her drinking. On the other hand she ought to be treated just like the other DUI’s arrested in the state. I’ve served as a Police officer, don’t have a drinking problem and NEVER have more than one beer if I’m going to be driving after dark. Just not worth it.

22. Winston O'Boogie says:

A buch of hypocties. That’s all I see. Lucky ones who haven’t been caught.

23. Glammer says:

BTW, she’s a Democrat.

If she was a Republican, her party affiliation would be all over the article.

24. Mary CPS says:

MADD is a COMMUNIST Organization!

1. Glammer says:

The Democrat Party is a Communist organization!

25. Jimmy C says:

“… pray for her too, to err is human, to forgive, Divine”

God is in the forgiveness business. The puvlic has a valid expectation of common sense performance from everyone, expesicallly so for goverment authorities. Forgive her rather than execute her? Yes. But she should be fired immediately. Touchy-feely forgiveness without penalty for deliberate offenses is silly.

26. neal says:

I just wonder why if you are just at the limit and driving bad its horrible but if you are driving much worse and not drinking its ok?
    I ma not making excuses for DUI. The level may have been set too low by the idiots we call our government. If you drink you will find yourself in a DUI sooner or later at the current levels.
    I am really puzzled though why we seem to think it is ok to drive badly as long as you are not drinking. I think the punishment should be the same!

27. Mannie says:

I don’t know what she blew, but it indicates the present stupidity of our drunk driving laws.

28. Mark says:

It’s these police and firemen that get to retire and start building another pension at other state jobs that are costing us billions of dollars. We need to make these criminals work a normal lifespan like the rest of us.

29. Wayne says:

Some here are saying they feel sorry for those of us who”fall short of our goals”. I am a retired police officer and after 33 years of witnessing the mangled bodies and destroyed lives caused by those drunks who “fell short of their goals” I have no sympathy for her. Judge, bring the hammer down and bring it down hard. She of all people should know better.

1. nash says:

wayne,
      i hope i do die a mangled pile of flesh killed by a drunk, who walks away scott free.
      sounds like the only life ” destroyed” was yours.

30. Greg says:

Curtis, DUI is a crime. When you drink your reaction time goes way down. It costs children their lives all the time. You are being reckless with a deadly weapon. The only thing is that the punishment for DUI crime should be losing 8 hours in a DUI class and not the crazy penalties they have now. People who get caught with a DUI do it again, even with all the penalties. Why is that? Because they are treated as outsiders outside society. The underlying problem behind their reckless drinking is not addressed. The DUI penalty does little to keep our streets safe. Education does. Thats why cops do it and rarely get into accidents compared to average people. They understand what it does to them and how to drive safely. There are no kids out at 2am.

1. cooolbill says:

45 year old retired cop? Isn’t paid administrative leave the same as a free vacation? Ahhh… the public sector!

2. NinaPasadena says:

Greg: “The DUI penalty does little to keep our streets safe. Education does.” I agree with both. A drinking driver will continue to drink and drive. Unless he/she uses a DUI as a wake-up call and gets the education we’re talking about. Many times the family of the DUI person will pressure him/her to get the help (education) they need, leading to a safe, non-drinking driver in the future. I facilitate this progression all the time as a drug/alcohol counselor. It does happen.

31. Greg says:

Too bad she resigned. At least if she stayed she could weigh the severity of her prosecutions against her own experiences.

32. Dennis says:

If she gets charged,witch she won’t, she needs to be ran through the ringer like I have been for somthing that happend 26 yrs ago. I have been throgh hell over an old DUI I could not find paper work on to show I completed in N.Jersey…….
    have a nice day…

33. Curtis says:

DUI is not a crime. How can u have a crime where there is no intent to harm and no body gets hurt? People drive safely because if they don’t, they could die in a fiery crash. Even impaired people are careful.

1. Nate says:

No, it’s a traffic violation. Lot’s of traffic violations are crimes with “no victim” or “intent to harm” but you can be fined, imprisoned, and lose your license for them just as quickly as any other crime/infraction/violation.

2. Harvey says:

Nobody gets hurt? What kind of remark is this! I know of several people that were KILLED in automobile crashes. I am a retired firefighter and have personal knowledge of numerous people being killed by alcohol impaired drivers.
      Like the saying goes, “you can’t fix stupid.”

34. Dr. B. says:

As Gary Busey says “Are you an idiot?”

35. RB says:

I’ll drink to that.

36. John says:

>>> Sullivan is a retired state police sergeant

Oh stop it. Everyone knows that laws do apply to police officers.

1. Richard says:

Apply, perhaps, but seldom enforced.

37. Duude says:

Better to resign than to stop driving while drunk.

38. KT says:

She should have stayed employed. After all, if we can have a tax cheat as the Treasury secretary, then surely we can have a person stupid enough to drink and drive as the head of the Alcohol enforcement agency. Hell, she woulda hung in there, she would probably get a federal appointment.

39. Jim says:

Sad but true. Next time coud be you.

40. Shanky82 says:

LOL! Delicious irony.

41. MadDog says:

So who was the victim in this case? These DUI laws have done NOTHING but make bureaucrats,insurance companies,counseling class owners and their friends wealthy. Sobriety checkpoints all over the country in the name of keeping drunk drivers off the street. It would all make Adolf Hitler proud.
    Time and again those with revoked licenses are caught driving drunk. So we are all supposed to live in a police state so we can accommodate your fear of drunk drivers? I’ll take drunk drivers and the associated risk any day over the police state we have now. I have no sympathy for this woman. How many lives has she ruined by arresting those who had a drink or two at a local pub and HURT NO ONE?. Now she has the opportunity to have a taste of her own medicine. See how nice it feels to have your life ruined by hurting no one?

42. vicki nice says:

DELAWARE-

HOME OF LOONY, WACKED-OUT IRISH PEASANT DERIVED WOMEN who make poor decisions..
    womder if she partied at the graveyard with Christine O’Donnell?

43. charlieoh says:

one day at a time honey. give me the serenity to change those things
    that can be changed………like my drinking. go to meetings. get a sponsor
    work the steps your new sober life is just around the corner

44. CMS says:

Hypocrisy, thy name is Siobhan Sullivan.

45. terri says:

Siobahn Sullivan must have been a serious threat. Even without the police badge, cops mostly let wpmen go when they break the law.

A friend told me that Chicago cops, after she went threw a red light,, for example, would pull her over, then ask for her number.

46. rumpleforeskin says:

It was George Bush’s fault

47. msclvr1954 says:

all AA is, is another addiction. a bunch of losers that even failed at being drunks. they trade one addiction for another and then hang out with a coffee cup in their hands telling the same old stories week after week. nothing but a bunch of losers. should be called LA= losers annoymous.

1. Sigfried says:

But you omit one important fact: if they are losers, they are SOBER losers, who may have kept their spouses, cars, jobs, or have found new spouses, jobs, etc. It took AA for me; just under a decade sober now, and I don’t need the daily meeting anymore, now it is my turn to show people like I was then that there’s a way out and perhaps even up from where they are now.

1. Joe G. says:

‘failed at being drunks’…lol, are there successful drunks? There is no success at the end of the road for drunks, just a long, long series of destructive acts and a painful death.

2. nash says:

write on msclvr if you are a ms.

48. drwstr123 says:

Strange that her blood/alcohol reading was omitted. What did she blow, 3.2???

49. msclvr1954 says:

to walter12
    please read the article, this took place in Delaware NOT Philly. As much as Philly is a rat hole this happened in Lewes Delaware. And to Irishmom, you got it 100% right, a drunk kills a woman and stays inoffice as a creer politician and a career drunk just because his name is Kennedy, thank God he is dead.

50. RicoB says:

SONJA, please.
    There is right and there is wrong. We should expect a higher standard for those who we put in charge and who accept a responsibility. She should have never accepted the position if she had a drinking problem. She made that decision when she was sober, I would hope. Enough with giving everyone a pass.

51. June says:

Oh, the irony….

52. Sunshine Connie says:

Well there goes her double dip into government pensions.

53. Kevin says:

US = fail. As it looks like the glass ceiling held her back-NOT….

54. JJ says:

hahahhaha, I LOL you. And now enjoy something with 15 different penalties attached. See you at probation.

55. Echo says:

Nah, there’s no double standard. You see the handcuffs but not the “defendant” in this article. Kind of reminds me of Judge Walker who was not even breathalyzed even though he fatally killed an off duty cop directing traffic in a construction zone. The police didn’t think they needed to see if he had been drinking. I wonder if being a Federal Judge had anything to do with the kid glove treatment? Or was it that he was related to George W. Bush as a cousin or something. Hmmmm….

56. TCD says:

As a long time AA member I REALLY Resent everyone, including the courts dumping these people on us and forcing them into our meetings!

They invariably have Very Bad Attitudes, are Disruptive, Rude and Not Interested in Anything Except Getting their paperwork signed!

And by the way, I will sign before they get in the door and I will tell them that, should the judge call me I will tell them Exactly what I have done and Why I have done it!

Quite Dumping Your “Unrepentant Drunks On a Group of People who WISH to be Sober!

Tom

1. Matt says:

I agree, as a person who effed up, realized it, sought AA before I ever set foot into court, and saw the half assed attempts by people who were showing up at meetings simply to get the paper signed. Knew one guy who even admitted he was still drinking on a regular basis, had the breathalyzer machine in his truck and would do a mass of meetings in one day to get his three a week in. I was there because I wanted to be there, not just needed to be there. AA shattered my damaged ego and helped me rebuild it into a better more honest and healthy spiritual being. God Bless AA and God Bless Bill W. for his gift to the world.

2. nash says:

tom, way to carry out that 12th step there bro.
      aa is voo-doo.
      take 12 steps and say the magic words.
      only thing missing is the red slippers.
      wishing to be sober, is not sobriety.

57. OgelThor says:

More government criminals. Vote them all out. We’ve got to take back our government.

58. ed says:

Jump to: navigation, search
    Siobhán
    Pronunciation Irish pronunciation: [ˈʃɪwaːn̪ˠ] or [ʃəˈvˠaːn̪ˠ]
    Gender Female
    Meaning God’s grace
    Region of origin Ireland, Irish diaspora
    Origin Hebrew יוחנן Yôḥānnān
    Related names Joan, Joanne, Joanna, Jane, John
    Look up Siobhán in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Siobhán (Irish pronunciation: [ˈʃɪwaːn̪ˠ] or [ʃəˈvˠaːn̪ˠ]; English pronunciation: /ʃəˈvɔːn/), is a female Irish name. It is an Irish form of Joan, which is derived from the Anglo-Norman Jehanne.[1] Joan is the feminine form of the Old French Johanne, Joanne, from the Latin Ioanna, Iohanna,[2] from the Greek Iōanna.[3] According to the myths, this name was borne by a follower of Jesus.[3]

59. missbosslady says:

She retired from one public sector job with full bennies, then falls into another public sector job with another compliment of bennies!

There’s your “double dip” recession!!

These leeches are sucking the blood of their fellow Americans and flaunting it our faces!

60. hcool says:

Its ok officer, I am a decimated driver!

61. Make My Day says:

Any former Cops committing this offense – should get “Double” the punishment….they are supposed to KNOW better!!!

62. A. Steinke says:

Someone probably recorded the whole incident on video. And you know what law enforcement types do to people who record them…

She’s got friends in low places.

63. Words Twice says:

For some eye opening information on DUI laws, do a search for Lawrence Taylor.

64. mame my day says:

@ssquared…..Something to do with the Irish – so you know she likes her booze!!!!

65. make my day says:

@ssquared…..omething to do with the Irish – so you know she likes her booze!!!!

66. Kracker says:

Retiring at forty five with full bennies in any public sector job is what is helping to crush all all city and state budgets nobody forced her to be a cop. That’s at least a quarter century of benefits who is going to pay for it. I appreciate her service but lets be real

67. Ian Beveridge says:

pig

68. tony says:

She/s gonna yall RACISM !!!!

69. Robert says:

“What is a SIOBAHN anyway..assuming it’s not a typo?”

Looks to be a typo. Usual spelling is Siobhan. It’s Irish for drunkard, I think.

1. Irish mom says:

As a mother of a Siobhan, watch your mouth.
      You don’t think Robert, that’s your problem.

1. charlie harper says:

That’s pretty funny…..!

2. Robert says:

Clearly you have no sense of humor, at least about this. Time to take a wrap of and relax a little. I suggest an Irish coffee.

70. josh says:

i would guess she worked 27 years before she retired and in cop years that is like 40 years of working, get a clue

71. goodrichard says:

She was not qualified for her position. That’s called fraud. She should have to return all salary earned while holding that title.

1. josh says:

fraud. really that is what you come up with, i can apply for any job and someone hires me then its on them,

72. Ted says:

In Boston, we’d know better than to put someone named “Siobahn Sullivan ” in charge of the alcohol..

1. Irish mom says:

In Mass., I think the name was Kennedy…..same story different outcome!
      A murdered woman and a career crooked pol!

73. Vince says:

45 year old “retired police sargeant”…she should loose her pension. How many people retire at the ripe old age of 45?

1. josh says:

my dad retried at 22 years in the navy, a lot of enlisted people retire at 38, granted their retirement isn’t great, but they retire and get a new job

2. Sam says:

watch out for those loose pensions!

74. Sara says:

WELCOME TO THE ARISTOCRACY OF AMERICA.

POSITIONS GIVEN OUT LIKE THE OLD MONARCHIES OF EUROPE–BASED UPON CONNECTIONS, SEX, DRUGS AND MONEY.

YEP.

TIME FOR SOME TEA BABY!

75. ssquared says:

What is a SIOBAHN anyway..assuming it’s not a typo?

1. Captain Incredulous says:

It’s pronounced phonetically as “Shiv vaughn”. I believe its roots are Celtic.

76. brian says:

Honest officer, I haven’t been drinking….

77. privatouring says:

She was bewitched.

78. walter12 says:

Ah, Life in Phily, ain’t it great.

1. baglady says:

Philly? Areticle clearly says Dover, Del

79. lupe says:

Do was we say, not as we do.

80. NORM says:

What happened? Was she so drunk that she forgot her badge at home?I’m glad she was arrested as too often these people get off because of who they are. No one should be above the law.

81. ZZBAR says:

Oh Boy !!!. I hope she lose her driver license for min. 1 year, Be required to attend AA meetings for min. 2 years, Pay big fine, Serve community service, Not be allowed to hold a job in the capacity she held.

1. Mark Matis says:

As if THAT’s gonna happen!

2. Sonja says:

It shows us all that we are all human, capable of falling short of expectations. I hope through her plight and resignation, she will pursue help regarding her drinking problem. There is no need to keep falling short in something that keeps us from a good life, humans can dust themselves off and climb out of the holes they get themselves into. I pray for her resilience to be able to do so.

Those who are perfect and never fall short, cast the first stone. With that, I declare this comment area a “stone free” area… lol…

1. Ace says:

When it comes to DUI, I AM perfect and I dont mind throwing that stone.

2. Il Bui says:

I’ll cast a boulder. I don’t commit violent crimes, PERIOD! Willingly breaking the law isn’t “falling short of expectations”. I bet you’d be singing a different tune if your child was killed by one of these people you felt are “falling short of expectations”.

3. tim says:

I pray for her too, to err is human, to forgive, Divine.

4. Gorio says:

Obviously Sonja, your compassion rules out personal responsibility for the so called authority figures in government. She did the right thing, she failed her community by violating the law, she resigned, shows courage and understanding for her wrong doing. As for throwing stones, if she attempted to stay in office, then we could do that.

5. Eddie says:

Alcoholism and Drug Addiction are both at critical levals in all walks of life. Sadly, so many are both Booze and Druggies at the same time which one can not toss off by themselves. I’ll pray for her and all others in his like manner.

6. Jim says:

Why is it anytime a person is stopped for DUI, you people immediately say they have a drinking problem. Could it be that anyone who has a drink or two could be stopped under the current laws? At least she did the admiral thing and stepped down pending her hearing.

7. Obsidian says:

How do you know she has a drinking problem? Do you know Siobahn Sullivan personally?

8. SGM WEM says:

I am not a “perfect” man but I will never be caught DUI cause I don’t drink. This perfect example of how this country is going to hell.

9. Jim in Houston says:

Tim: To error is human to forgive is divine – neither of which is legal policy.

3. John says:

Not a Chance – They Take Care of Their Own

4. Deborah Springborn says:

How about she loses her drinking license and commit to permanent abstinence for the rest of her life, as well as the suggestions below of lost pension and suffer the AA meetings where the establishment sends all common drunks, where they will tell her how powerless she is and suffering from some mysterious disease, which we who have quit our addictions using Rational Recovery know better and call it like it is: stupidity, illegal conduct, immorality to drive drunk and endanger all of us and who stand taller by quitting forever, knowing that if we should become stupid and drink again, the law should take stronger action against us because we deliberately got drunk again despite the harm, we know from past experience, that we would do to innocent society around us. Lock her up and throw away the key until she commits to planned permanent abstinence.

1. Jester says:

You may have set the record for “World’s Longest Sentence”. Next time, please attempt to write something that makes sense.

2. Deborah Springborn says:

Jester,

What’s not to understand? You obviously are an educated person and can recognize a long sentence when you see one.

Anyone can permanently quit an addiction immediately if they know how to do it. The problem is that our society has bought into the disease concept of addiction rather than getting back to original family values of decent behavior and morals.

No one decides to drive drunk until they are drunk. She knew before she started drinking that she is a problem drinker and therefore she deliberately drank and drove and thankfully didn’t kill or harm anyone.

She should lose her drinking license forever. I learned how to do that independently when I found Rational Recovery.

By the way, are you a member of AA?

5. Steve says:

Yes and like many other retired law enforcement people this one will never see a trial and the charges will be dropped since they are allowed to retire without paying the consequences. On top of that they’ll receive that bloated pension many cops utltimately receive.

6. Headlockness says: