Now in its eighth year, The Roots Picnic is an annual tradition featuring Philly’s favorite hometown band, The Roots, as well as some of the latest and greatest artists on the music scene. This year, Festival Pier is again set to host the annual festival on the waterfront. Here’s what you need to know.
When: Saturday, May 30th, 2015. Doors open at 11 a.m.
Where: Festival Pier at Penn’s Landing is located at the corner of Spring Garden Street and Columbus Boulevard on the Delaware River waterfront.
Tickets: Tickets are available here.
The 2015 picnic will feature performances from The Roots, The Weekend, Erykah Badu, A$AP Rocky, Phantogram, DJ Mustard, Brianna Cash and more. Previous performers at the Roots Picnic have included Nas, Wiz Khalifa, Esperanza Spaulding, Mac Miller, John Legend, the Wu Tang Clan, Santigold, Mayer Hawthorne, Das Racist, Public Enemy, TV on the Radio, Kid Cudi, The Black Keys, and Vampire Weekend.
PARKING & DIRECTIONS
– From I-95 North use Exit 20., Columbus Blvd/Washington Ave exit and turn left onto Columbus Blvd. Proceed north on Columbus Blvd. Parking is available at Festival Pier.
– From the Schuylkill Expressway, take I676 east to I-95 south exit 23, and then follow above directions for exit I-95.
From the Historic District and Old City, head east on Market, Chestnut, Walnut or South Streets, crossing Front Street and over pedestrian walkways. Head north on Columbus Blvd (From South Street: 1.5 miles/Dock Street – 1.1mi/Walnut Street – 1 mi./Chestnut Street – 1/10th mi./Market Street – 1/10th mi).
Take SEPTA bus routes 25 or 43 directly to Festival Pier. Bus route 5 stops at 2nd and Spring Garden Streets. From there, head east towards Columbus Blvd. Festival will be to the left.
Making the free interchange connection generated from many points at the 15th Street Station, take the Market-Frankford Elevated line (blue-line) to the Spring Garden station. Walk east towards Columbus Blvd. Festival Pier will be to the right. For more information on mass transit, visit septa.org.
There is a cash parking lot available next to the venue, as well as on-street kiosk parking. Taking public transportation is recommended.
– The Roots Picnic begins at noon.
– Shows are rain or shine.
– No professional cameras or recording devices are permitted.
– Food, beer, t-shirts, and art will be sold throughout the day.
– There are several ATMs on the premises.
– A valid photo ID and credit card is needed to pick up tickets at “will call”
– Once you leave, you cannot come back.
Still have questions? Visit the Roots Picnic website.