PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The coronavirus outbreak is prompting stores and supermarkets in our area to modify their hours and policies to help protect seniors and their most vulnerable guests. See the list of local stores that are modifying hours below:
- WHOLE FOODS: Starting March 18, Whole Foods Market locations will open an hour early at 6 a.m. to allow customers who are 60 and older to shop. It will then open to the general public at 7 a.m. The stores also close two hours early.
- GIANT: Starting March 19, Giant will set aside time for shoppers age 60 and older. They can shop from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m daily. Giant stores will close at 10 p.m.
- TARGET: The company says they will reserve the first hour of shopping every Tuesday and Wednesday for those over 65 years old, pregnant women and those defined by the CDC as vulnerable or at-risk. Stores will close at 9 p.m. to allow employees to clean and restock shelves.
- DOLLAR GENERAL: Stores are adjusting their hours for older shoppers. The first hour of operations each day will be dedicated solely to senior customers. All stores will also close one hour earlier to allow employees clean and restock store shelves.
- WALMART: U.S. stores will adjust operating hours to 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Stores that open later than 7 a.m. will continue their regular starting hours. From March 24 through April 28, Walmart stores will host an hour-long senior shopping event every Tuesday for customers aged 60 and older. This will start one hour before the store opens. Pharmacies and Vision Centers will also be open during this time.
- ACME: Starting Thursday, March 19, the company will reserve 7 to 9 a.m. every Monday through Friday for those vulnerable shoppers who must leave home to obtain their groceries, unless otherwise locally mandated. Customers should check their local store’s hours if they’re opening on a different schedule.
- BJ’S WHOLESALE CLUB: Pennsylvania locations will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. daily for members 60 and older.
- Trader Joe’s: The chain will be open every day from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. to seniors only.
- Walgreens: Every Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. will be reserved for senior citizens, their caregivers and immediate families.