By CBS3 Staff

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Philadelphia police officers shot and killed a man suspected of a deadly carjacking after he opened fire on officers during a pursuit in the city’s Germantown neighborhood, early Thursday morning. Police are calling this a “deranged individual” who went on a ten-minute rampage, leaving a 19-year-old woman dead.

Investigators say it all started around 4 a.m. when the 29-year-old man entered St. Luke’s Church on the 5400 block of Germantown Avenue.

The man pointed a rifle at a church employee and fired at least one shot at her. He then grabbed her keys and fled with her vehicle.

“He somehow ascertained her keys and took her vehicle, “Philadelphia Police Sgt. Eric Gripp said.

Police said the man crashed that vehicle near Chelten Avenue and Green Street and then attempted to carjack a woman nearby. He fired several shots at her car but she backed up and was able to get away.

Police said the man then shot and killed a 19-year-old woman, just a block away, on the 5900 block of Maplewood Avenue. The woman was taken to Einstein Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Germantown resident Mustafa Jackson recalls the horrific moment the woman was shot dead in her car.

“Bop bop bop bop bop. It just went blazing. He just ran up to the car, trying to jack her and he just shot her,” Jackson said.

“It’s a shame for that young girl. She stepped out and didn’t know her life was going to end today,” Germantown resident Jackie Lewis said. “The murder has to stop because you never know, you’re here today and gone tomorrow.”

Responding officers spotted the suspect on foot near Chelten Avenue and Green Street, where he allegedly pointed an AK-47-style rifle at the officers. The suspect refused to put the weapon down and officers fired several shots at the suspect. He was not injured and managed to run away.

Officers then spotted him again at a vacant lot near Rittenhouse Street and Germantown Avenue. That’s when, investigators say, the suspect fired one shot, striking a police car. Police officers exited the vehicle and fired back but the suspect got inside the police vehicle. The keys were not inside so the suspect got out and ran off.

“They exited their police car and returned fire at the male. As they were trying to gain tactical police cover, the male got inside of it. He tried to drive away in the police car but the keys were not in the car,” Gripp said.

He encountered officers again who ordered him to drop his weapon. Police say he did not, so officers fired and struck him multiple times. He was taken to Einstein Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

“I believe he was probably ready to go. That’s the only way,” Lewis said.

In all, four officers discharged their weapons during the incident. No officers were injured.

Police say there appears to be no connection between the suspect and the victims.

Eyewitness News crews caught up with the first victim who was robbed outside of St. Luke’s Church. She says she’s grateful that she was unhurt and is still alive.

Authorities have not released the names of the man or the woman killed.

CBS3’s Jan Carabeo and Alecia Reid contributed to this report.