By CBS3 Staff

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia Police say the 7-year-old boy who was shot on his front porch over the weekend has died. Zamar Jones was pronounced dead at 1 p.m. Monday at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

This shooting was part of a violent weekend across the city. So far this year, there have been 257 people killed. That means at this point of the year we have seen as many killings as in 1992.

READ MORE: Business Owner Hopes Philadelphia's Penn’s Landing Stays Safe Following Triple Shooting That Injured 3 Teenagers


Police say Zamar was playing with his toys around 7:40 p.m. Saturday when he was caught in the crossfire of a shootout where at least 16 shots were exchanged. The 7-year-old was shot in the head.

On Monday, officials announced that 27-year-old Christopher Linder is facing first-degree murder charges in connection to the shooting.

Police are still searching for two other suspects.

Philadelphia Cure Violence says this is exactly what they’re trying to prevent.

“We’re not just killing us no more, it has gotten so worse that now we’re killing our family,” said Philadelphia Cure Violence Street Supervisor Colwin Williams.

Monday evening, Philadelphia Cure Violence went to the neighborhood where the young life was lost.

The grassroots organization is made up of ex-offenders who were once part of the problem.

“We got to stop looking outside the community. We’ve got enough Black men walking up and down this street where they can police their own community. We’ve got enough Black men out here that could touch base with every one of these young guys and talk to them. Believe it or not, most of them just need attention because they didn’t have it,” Williams said.

READ MORE: Marple Township Police Asking For Public's Help To Find Missing Businessman

Philadelphia Cure Violence is hoping to stand in the gap.

“That ain’t my child or that ain’t my cousin. But the reaper is knocking on every other door. Because you see, you don’t even need to be in the game,” Williams said.

Meanwhile, Eyewitness News was on a North Philadelphia block in Sharswood to learn about the killing of a woman named Temieka Woods, when a mother and sister of another victim from Saturday were randomly visiting family in the area.

Keon Davis was shot and killed outside a city auto body shop.

“I really can’t wrap my mind around it. Why people would do these things, my son came from a loving, caring home. He didn’t take anything from nobody,” said Davis’ mother.

Philadelphia Police Staff Insp. Sekou Kinebrew addressed the senseless violence that claimed two innocent people in a matter of hours.

“A lot of these beefs are people that got inflamed and tensions inflamed over social media insults or perceived insults, and just handled it in reckless, criminal ways, that are affecting people outside of those who they’re having these disagreements with,” Kinebrew said.

Now there is a plea from a shellshocked mother to the city, a woman who will bury her son tomorrow.

“Do more,” Davis’ mother says. “Please put the guns down because you’re killing innocent people. People that are worth something. My son was worth a lot,” Davis’ mother said.

There is an emergency community meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday at 200 N. Simpson Street to address the violence. Attendees are asked to bring a mask and chair.

MORE NEWS: Philadelphia School District's Mask Mandate Goes Back Into Effect On Monday As COVID-19 Cases Rise

CBS3’s Joe Holden and Kimberly Davis contributed to this report.