HONESDALE, Pa. (AP) — State police say a Florida man was killed while hunting in northeastern Pennsylvania when his portable propane heater exploded. Police in Wayne County say 81-year-old Gregory Scheer of Chiefland, Florida was hunting from a stand on the ground and using a portable propane heater.
Police say the heater may have malfunctioned or perhaps was improperly connected and caused an attached propane bottle to explode at about 12:45 p.m. Saturday. Police say two other propane bottles nearby also exploded.
Police say a friend who owns the property heard the blasts and found Scheer dead.
The official cause of death is pending investigation. A fire marshal was called to investigate and an autopsy is planned this week.
(Copyright 2019 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)